S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

THIS Is Why I Bought The S2000!

Old 10-13-2003, 05:09 AM

Received 714 Likes on 437 Posts

Oh -- and one more thought -- I'd have missed out on having such a passionate community of enthusiasts if I'd gone with something else.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Valentine, that was a great story.

I've test-driven a Boxster, '99 6-speed Corvette, and an '02 M Roadster.
All were nice, but only the BMW approached the raw excitement of the S2000...and at a higher price. This little car we love -- you either "get it" or you don't. No middle ground. And I like that!

At the same time, I admire all sports cars and always hope I encounter other enthusiasts on the road.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:27 PM

Its always a pleasure to meet with other enthusiasts -- the BMW Z4 is a fine looking machine (and I'm sure fine driving as well) -- just so much more expensive than the S2k. I've had no regrets -- look forward to meeting other "Happy Fools" at FC!!
Old 10-13-2003, 04:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

One happy fool here... Just checking in.

Had a nice weekend in the hills of Vermont. Lots of open air driving, but not a single S2000 all weekend. Unbelievable.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:43 PM

Valentine (Betty Boop)-- Appreciated your kind words; our S IS a gem, almost under-rated out there. Sometimes we fools seem to have all the fun!

Paul
Old 10-13-2003, 07:36 PM

I was standing around eating an ice cream OUTSIDE of the car and a guy approached me to talk about the S. We made a little small talk and then the inevitable, "How much did that cost?" question. I said that it lists for right around $33K.

He grew silent and I was trying to figure out if he thought that was too much or not enough. Then he said his friend had one and had told him that it had cost between $45 and $50K. I suspect he thought I was fooling with him and he seemed a little indignant. Turns out his friend had a MY00 so I suppose he might have been able to pay that much back then. The guy went away kind of like his bubble had been burst.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:56 PM

Oh, boy! I know the experience you're talking about!! I've enjoyed it a few times with the Jackson Racing supercharged '97 Miata M-Edition I sold to get my '03 Silverstone/Red and also with the S more recently. I must say I've gotten sniffs of derision (or what looked like derisive sniffs, anyway!) more with the S than with the Miata. I agree with others that some people must dismiss our lovely cars as "just Hondas" without knowing what they are!

On the other hand, lots of people of all kinds and ages have given me approving nods and comments. I was at a body shop a few days ago (yes, I forgot how low the front lip is in a parking lot!!) and got admiring comments from a whole bunch of people who regularly see a lot of nice cars! My Volvo mechanic wants desparately to drive my S, but I think he's reluctant to sing too much praise for a Japanese car! And, from time to time, I get challenged to do little runs like the ones described here. I'm glad to oblige when I think it's for the love of the cars and of driving them briskly--OK, fast-- and it is not meant to prove anything.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:51 PM

Without sounding too cute, its often occured to me it's not if the 'S' is the right car for me, but rather am I the right person for it...the 'S' isn't for everyone, if you have to explain they'll never understand it. I feel priviledged that life circumstances has allowed me to have such unbridled joy this side of heaven for a season...I know it won't always be so. It's good to read a thread with those who do.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:06 PM

Your thoughts/stories are so nice to read -- On two occasions I've walked out of a business establishment to find a policeman standing by my car -- (instant fright -- then, I think -- "Ive done nothing wrong"). Upon getting up to the door, both times -- they just wanted to ask me questions about the car; for example, do I like it, how fast does it go, how many cylinders (like that matters, I think to myself) and on and on. It is a rare occasion that I take it out that people don't tell me how beautiful it is. Once my husband and I were sitting at a stoplight and a guy yelled out of his window to ask us what kind of car it is -- it certainly is a beauty. I've owned many lovely and fun cars in my lifetime, but I've never had such experiences in any car but the S. Dex9 -- I too feel blessed.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:26 PM

Valentine:
Some people may not understand but it was a difficult choice 'selecting' a car which would attract so much attention and appear self-indulgent in my community. A long story, but if you do a search for the World Trade Center I have a lengthy reflection on my 'S'...as someone recently reminded me; it's a great thing but makes a terrible idol...

Quick Reply: THIS Is Why I Bought The S2000!