S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Working long hours

Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 AM

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,May 13 2010, 09:53 AM
Exactly!

I'm a classic example of working too many hours, but let's look at just night, I put in a 10+ hour day, but, at 5:30, I went upstairs, took a beer (or two...) out of the fridge here in the agency and went back to work. This environment knows, long hours are going to be needed, and it does what it can to make it as easy to deal with as possible.
That's fine if it works for you. But if it's expected, and you have family, you get to watch the world, and your kids go right by in the blink of an eye.

Many employers put as many people as they can on "salary exempt" meaning you're on salary, you work what we expect you to work, NO paid OT, but sure you can leave early for a dentist appointment. 50+ hours/week is the norm and expected.

Rick's job situation changed last year. There were some positives and negatives. One positive is now a 40-42 hour week, and no more Saturdays, if he works OT he gets paid for OT. It's a relief to not see him dragging tail all the time, because a boss expects 50+ hours. Less responsibility also means he's more available to spend time with me and the grandchildren, a "win win" situation.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 5,254 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,May 13 2010, 10:24 AM
It's hard to generalize on stuff like this.
You're right. I had freedom of movement. I could come and go whenever it suited me. So I had no 35 hour boring weeks. I simply left early or if I had to be there because something was happening later, I played on internet, took a long lunch, whatever...

And, I never let work chase me home - no beeper, no cell, no laptop (and believe me, they tried). I had a home phone with a recorder; if after hearing the message, I felt it urgent enough I would return it but more often than not, it could always wait another day.

To me, that's control. I controlled it, it didn't control me. BTW, did I mention I enjoyed my job, which had lots of diversity and I was never bored.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:55 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 149 Posts

Seeing the responses above I think it depends on the situation. Working long hours in a flexible unstressed work environment may not be bad.

Working long hours in a stressful position will burn you out.

I can see the difference between consultants from a different company. Firms are the worst as the partners income depends on the hours billed by the employees and therefore they are worked to the bone. A Google or Microsoft are better places to work as they have meal plans, recreational/rest facilities and as such may not be as stressful to their employees.

Individual attitude also matters though. You have to enjoy what you are doing.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lainey,May 13 2010, 10:14 AM
That's fine if it works for you. But if it's expected, and you have family, you get to watch the world, and your kids go right by in the blink of an eye.
Me and kids

Ain't goin to happen!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 149 Posts

^ never say never
Old 05-13-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,May 13 2010, 10:50 AM
And, I never let work chase me home - no beeper, no cell, no laptop (and believe me, they tried). I had a home phone with a recorder; if after hearing the message, I felt it urgent enough I would return it but more often than not, it could always wait another day.

To me, that's control. I controlled it, it didn't control me. BTW, did I mention I enjoyed my job, which had lots of diversity and I was never bored.
I've noticed that some, ahem, older people tend to view things like cell phones and laptops as controlling. It's interesting, because I look at them the other way. I have MUCH more freedom because of these things. For instance:

-I have a boring afternoon, instead of sitting around at work, I leave and play golf. Something important comes up, I get an email and can answer it right there on the course (and no, I don't let it slow my play ).

-I take a lot of long weekends to go to the north woods of WI. Whereas I used to either burn a vacation day on Friday or Monday, or just leave for WI on Friday evening (6hr drive and everyone else is going at the same time), I now often drive up on Thursday night, work remotely part/all of Friday from WI, and then enjoy the rest of my time there.

-I go away for a week's vacation, I bring my laptop and cell phone, and if there is downtime (rainy day, waiting for wife to get shower/get ready, etc) I can log in, check my email, and catch up on some stuff. Often over a week, I can log enough time to only take 4 days off instead of 5. Also, when I get back to work, there is much less catch-up time needed.

And on and on. I harness that flexibility to have MORE freedom, it isn't always about having less. Just interesting how others view that in the exact opposite way.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 AM

Different strokes for different folks. My idea of the best vacations are ones where you break all the norms, especially if you're going north, which we do every year for small mouth bass fishing. We were disappointed when they put a tv in the cabin we have used for the past 25+ years. We only turn it on to watch a weather report and it stays off all the rest of the time. Something as simple as a deck of cards can make a rainy day enjoyable and a complete break from the world. The last thing I want up north is an email!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlq04,May 13 2010, 10:50 AM

I get a ton of grief about not having a home computer, but guess what, without one, it is impossible for work to follow me home....

I flat out refuse to receive emails from work to a handheld device I keep with me, not going to happen.

And my house, well, there are no land lines, so no messages get left there.

When I'm not in the office, I'm not available, it is as simple as that.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,May 13 2010, 02:28 PM
When I'm not in the office, I'm not available, it is as simple as that.
Good for you!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I understand, but if you had the opportunity to go up there 2-3x as much and do a little work while your there, versus just going up there 1-2 times and doing none, would you do anything differently? That's where I am; I go more often because I can work from up there. Does it "ruin the vibe" a little? Maybe...but the increased time there is worth it.

Quick Reply: Working long hours