S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Would you go out and dance...

Old 01-04-2009, 03:33 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Default Would you go out and dance...

OK...something I've been mulling over for a long time and want to get your feedback on. As some of you know, the +1 and I love to dance. Hence my getting the DJ at the Spring Fling at Wintergreen. Well, I've considered opening a dance place for quite awhile, but just haven't done it for alot of reasons. Never owned a business, so would have to bone up on everything. I think I could do it, but is it economically feasible and do I want to???!!! All the places to dance around the DC area have pretty much gone by the wayside. Not sure why - I guess economics or lack of interest? Anywho, I'm betting our generation would go out, given the right place to socialize and have fun. I'd have to serve some alcohol, but it probably would be only beer and wine, and champagne pour moi. I'd have DJs only, no live bands. I'd probably have theme nights sometimes, like rock and roll night, Latin night, etc. Maybe I'd get dance instructors to come in. I'd want to attract peeps of all ages, but concentrate on our generation, i.e. a bit older crowd.

So, am I crazy or what??? Would you show up? Would anyone show up?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Deb,

I would only go if there were a bunch of friends there or going with me. Barbara and I do not go dancing as a regular social event. (Maybe we should ) I think you have to sell alcohol if you hope to stay open. That is where the money is. I think you have to be able to attract young people, because they are more likely to go out dancing on a weekend. Older folks are not all that into it as an event or activity they pursue on a regular basis. Plus, a big percentage of the dancing crowd are those who are dating, or "looking for love." Keep that in mind when you think up your themes. Date related nights, and "find a mate" events draw good crowds. Maybe you could do a five minute dating thing where each of the single women dance one dance with each of the single men.

Anyway, good luck with it. If we are in DC we'll drop by for a dance.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a freind of mine that did what your thinking about, his was more of
a pub type thing, with a dance floor. He bought the liquior license (major bucks) and the whole nine yards. After 6 months he was begging someone to buy it. Dealing with the public is a major PIA.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used to go dancing. When we were in college, we would go dancing all the time. As a matter of fact, I met my wife in a dance class.

But lately we haven't gone dancing much. We have a friend in CA that we used to go danicing with, but since moving to AZ 7 years ago, we haven't gone dancing at all.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I think that is a cool idea Deb! I agree with alot of what Bill said, the theme nights are a great idea - 60s, 70s, 80s, even a disco night maybe?

The speed dating events are gaining popularity all over the country as well, so that would be a great idea maybe for middle of the week; maybe I should try one?

I personally love to dance. I would like to take a lesson or two. Dancing is why I used to eat and drink like a pig and still weight 115 lbs Joe and I danced once - at our wedding - never before and never after
Old 01-04-2009, 07:42 AM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Donna & I will be there for opening night!

I think there are couple ways to look at it.

One, there's no question there are a number of people who still loves the sounds from past and want to dance. We were at a club this past Friday with two other couples and we all wanted to dance but the small band just kept playing blues type songs and no one from any age group connected, so the floor was empty. At our table we all agreed a DJ would have done better. Later that night we ended up at our usual corner pub were they play 50s, 60s, 70s primarily in the jutebox which never runs dry. Donna & I would have been dancing almost every song if they had a dance floor/license but they don't. No matter, half the bar sings along with the songs so it's kinda cool. We go out every Friday night and meet up with half a dozen regular couples which also includes a dozen or so other couples that show up from time to time. If it wasn't for us regulars the pub we go to could close on most Friday nights.

Two, you have to make money. It's either from the food, booze, or both. I don't know if there are studies to support this but it's my impression that when you have lots of dancers connecting to the songs they spend very little on both since most of the evening they are dancing. It takes a few good drinks to get me moving but once going I tend to drink a lot less then just sitting around BS'ing. As I mentioned above, having a good regular base can be good thing but keep in mind many of the retirees, at least in my town, are off to FL or points south for a month or two at a time. And, come summer they are off on extended golf trips, etc.

For the sake of discussion, lets say you are making money. The next big issue is the help. Ask any bar owner and they will tell you the same thing - the help will steal you blind unless you get really good ones or you put in 100 hour weeks to watch them. They like giving away booze to friends too. Turnover is constant problem. DJ's cost. And so on...... any more advice and it will cost you a drink or two.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

We're not into dancing, but I had a co-worker who went out every Tuesday night for years dancing with the wife. . He said the same as Dave, that he certainly didn't spend too much while there as they spent their time on the dance floor. Maybe a cover charge would be in order?

Did you ask S2K Billy how he likes owning a business?

I'm sure I'm not overly ambitious, but after doing the bookkeeping for a small business for many years, owning a business is certainly not on my "to do" list. Way too many headaches.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

With rare exception, the only profitable dance places I know of have poles installed and the rest are country western.

fltsfshr
Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Yeah, thought of that. Good advice, everyone. It probably would be more headaches than it's worth. But I'm still . Maybe I'll investigate just for fun. I don't want it to be a bar with dancing. I want it to be a dance place that offers limited food and beverages. With that scenario, taking into account where most make money, it might not be doable. A cover charge is a consideration.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

The insurance and liability issues would be a concern. Hire employees you need worker's comp.

Not a big ticket item in that type of business, unless a cook is not careful with the knives.

Serve liquor and of course, you have a huge liability issue. no idea what kind of premium dollars you are talking for insurance.

Lots of headaches.

I can think of much less stressful ways to spend time if I was thinking of second career/business venture. A t-shirt shack on a beach sounds real good to me right now.

Quick Reply: Would you go out and dance...