S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Are you attending Fall Colors '05.
Yes
40.91%
No
30.30%
Maybe, leaning toward yes
13.64%
Maybe, leaning toward no
9.09%
Undecided
6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Are you attending Fall Colors '05

Old 05-04-2005, 11:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Well there is a few good points that I think I can address.

The format: Because of the track's requirements that all rentals be for a min of 2 day. Either Friday and Saturday or Sunday and Monday. This year Friday/Saturday was selected to get more folks involved with the Friday track day. The cost of the track rental is high, so either the cost is shared for the event between the days, or it is carried by the Saturday event.

The Track: Group drives have been great over the past few years, but each drive has had it issues. Because of these issues, the track was considered a better place to have a large number of drivers speeding. It is safe, it is controlled and it is legal. It is amassing that no one has been hurt, but a number of cars have been damaged. The liability assocated with an event of this size on the public roads would be stagering.

The location: Beaver Run is the only local track that would have us. The other tracks would not rent the track to us on a weekend at all. So what would you think about a Wednesday\Thrusday event? other where just to costly and without sometype of major sponsor (reads as cash) that is not going to happen. Another would require full roll bars in all S2000 and we know that is not going to happen. So we tried to find another track.

The people in charge: Technically you are in charge. No one owns fall colors. Volunteers run it. You should have it known that you don't like the location, you don't like the track days and you don't like the dates that it is schedule for. Since that is the case, that cuts the cost of the event and makes anywhere in the northeast a location fo the event. You all might want to voice this quickly before the Track gets paid for.

The Track in General: If you have every driven faster then the posted speed, then you need to drive on the track. The track is not there for racing. It is there for safety. The event is a controlled way to push your selfs without endangering others. Even if you just drove the track at a reasonable pace, it would be better then the average back hills drive. There is never on comming traffic or any police.

In closing, you all need to voice what you want for the event in the FC forum so it can be done. Only your voices will make the differance.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,May 4 2005, 03:50 PM
The Track: Group drives have been great over the past few years, but each drive has had it issues. Because of these issues, the track was considered a better place to have a large number of drivers speeding. It is safe, it is controlled and it is legal. It is amassing that no one has been hurt, but a number of cars have been damaged. The liability assocated with an event of this size on the public roads would be stagering.
I think that those who do not want to participate in the track event are the same people who prefer a casual, at or near the speed limit, under the radar drive. The reason that they do not want to attend the track is because they do not want to drive at high speeds.

If they do not participate in the drive, what are they to do ? A casual drive on Saturday would be a perfect event for those who do not wish to drive anywhere (be it on the track or otherwise) at high speeds.

We all know that there are people who own an S2000, like the way it looks, handles, and accelerates, but do not wish to come anywhere near Redline of the vehicle at any time. These are people who would like to go on a casual drive on Saturday.

Further, a casual, at or near the speed limit drive on Saturday would cause no greater liability than is already present at the event.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 PM

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,May 4 2005, 06:19 AM
I don't mean this thread to either discourage or encourage anyone from attending. I am just curious about whether or not many Vintage members are planning to attend. And perhaps the reasons why or why not.

I am on the fence this time. Unfortunately, the change in format makes it a little less favorable. The track day is now Saturday and the drive is now Sunday. That means if I participate in the drive, which is the car activity that my son Adam and I like best, and then drive home we will be spending 11 or 12 hours in the car on Sunday. That seems a bit much especially when he has school and I have work the next day.

As for Saturday, we probably won't participate in any track activities. I don't want to take him onto the track and I think his day will be very long just hanging around waiting for me if I do participate. Other than just hanging around I can't think of many interesting alternatives for the two of us.

If I don't go, I will miss the comraderie and seeing all of my friends, and to me that is a very big part of the Fall Colors event. Still, 12 hours in the car is a long, back breaking time to spend. That's why I'm on the fence.

Please post your feelings, I am curious.
Rob,
I do understand your reluctance, but I am sure that if people want to put together drive groups it will be fine. That way everyone is truly responsible for themselves.
I am sure that you will find planty of volunteers that will want to lead the groups

I will be going, I have been to the first four and I like the track, but that's me.

Am I going, yes, now I just have to make a reservation.

(Elliot, if you do look at helmets, Helmetcity.com http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/aut...llsa/fullsa2000 )
Old 05-04-2005, 12:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For those of you looking for another fun Vintage event, we are trying to work hard on hosting another Vintage Ohio Buckeye Run. We are a little behind on this because we had thoughts of hosting this event in Myrtle Beach in June but I don't think that would work out for the following reasons:

1. There are no nice twisty roads for the drive
2. June, July and August are very busy there. Getting lodging and restaurants would be more difficult.
3. It's too far for many people.

So...we are now back to doing what we did last year. That is...an Ohio Route 26 drive. I'll create a separate post to gauage interest. It will likely be in July some time.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:55 PM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been in contact with John, and he has asked me to develope a drive for FC 05. He wants this drive to be about 1 1/2 hr's long. At this point I am in the planning stages of this drive, and was looking at a particular run here in Eastern Ohio. I'm gonna try out the run I have maped out to see if it meets the time limit.
If it doesn't meet the time limits then I need to work on another shorter run.

If there is enough interest in the Vintage group then I would be happy to lead this group on that run I have already planned, on Saturday morning.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spt-s2k,May 4 2005, 04:55 PM
I have been in contact with John, and he has asked me to develope a drive for FC 05.
Is that the drive for Sunday that you are working up ?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 5,034 Likes on 3,039 Posts

Strato,

I know full well that taking on a track event of this size is big business and I hope it works out with Beaver Run. Clearly there was a big turnout last year. The question that needs to be answered quickly is will there be the same, less, or more if it repeats this year. Perhaps everyone who attended last years needs to PM'd or survey some how.

As for my suggestion on doing a tour I do not see a conflict. This group was not saying I'd go track but now that there's a tour I'll pass. No, this group was saying there's no point in my going to this meet. I realize this does not help to offset track costs but I don't see it taking away either.

Given the great feedback from last year's event, I'm really looking forward to attending and hope there will just as many people wanting to return to the track and at the same have a nice option for those who prefer a tame tour.

Depending upon the driving distance, some may not wish to do either. I know when I push beyond 600 miles or so a day I don't have any desire to jump into any car driving activity but rather to drink beer, kick tires, and socialize.

In any case, it's good Rob raised these questions now.

PS - OhioRacer, personally I don't feel twisty roads have to be part of a meet's itinery. I've been to some wonderful car meets that didn't envolve any driving. Getting there might mean finding the twisty roads to enjoy the trip there.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,May 4 2005, 03:50 PM

The Track in General: If you have every driven faster then the posted speed, then you need to drive on the track. The track is not there for racing. It is there for safety. The event is a controlled way to push your selfs without endangering others. Even if you just drove the track at a reasonable pace, it would be better then the average back hills drive. There is never on comming traffic or any police.
All of that reasoning is good and well, but there is a drive scheduled. Apparently, the liability issue and the relative safety of the track is not really the consideration.

The problem for most of us is that the drive is planned for Sunday. That creates two problems. One is the drive, coupled to the drive home after the drive makes for a long day with a lot of time spent in the car. Two, for those of us who, for whatever reason, choose not to take track time, what do we do on Saturday? My reason for not taking track time is that I am bringing my 11 year old son. For the past two Fall Colors, this meet has been a time and adventure the two of us to share. Fall Colors for us has been a weekend spent around the car we both love, in each other's company and the company of all of the other S2000 enthusiasts that attend. If I take track time, what does he do while I am on the track? I won't bring him all that far for him stand and wait with nothing to do and no advenure to share. For others it may be the speeds, lack of helmet, what to do with their husbands/wives/significant others. None the less, many choose not to take track time and would appreciate an alternative.

Eliot has volunteered to lead a drive on Saturday and I highly doubt that anyone would object to the fact that it would be the same route as last year. I know I wouldn't. But, I think it needs to sanctioned by those running Fall Colors and not done "outside" of the event. In my opinion, it should be a part of Fall Colors. Presented as an alternative to the track.

Sam has stated that John contacted him to come up with a 1 1/2 hour drive. I know that Sam would do a great job, but why such a short drive? If everyone else is going to be on the track on Saturday, those of us on the drive should have the opportunity to stay out longer. Why is that a problem?

None the less, I didn't start this thread to create a problem. My point was not to change Fall Colors, my point was simply to find out if others here in Vintage felt the same way that I did. I think it's apparent the some do.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:29 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE=dlq04,May 4 2005, 05:24 PM]
As for my suggestion on doing a tour I do not see a conflict.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Rob has stated some very good points. After the SF'05 event, Sue and I really want to attend more S2000 activities, but at this point, I don't have any interest in the track. I would be more interested in the drive, but as was pointed out, this occurs only on the last day. For these reasons, I am undecided about attending Fall Colors.

Perhaps I should be more open to the idea of participating on the track, since I have never done it before.

Quick Reply: Are you attending Fall Colors '05