S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are you ever a parking space scofflaw?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts
Default Are you ever a parking space scofflaw?

I have a lengthy post in the "keeping parents at home" thread about my adventures in the parking lot of my mother's apartment building yesterday.

I committed a cardinal sin of parking in a "R" spot (resident but not assigned to any apartment) vs a "V" (visitor spot) I knew where I parked and I justified it by it being the middle of the day, it was raining and I was rushing around on lunch to tend to Mom. Still I know I was wrong. Anyway, it cost me $75.00 to get the tow truck driver to leave my car. He did not accept a credit card and had I not had the cash, I would have been out $130-150.00 depending on what equipment he had used, when I located my car.

I am generally a rule follower. I do not park in handicapped spaces, I do not leave my car in a fire lane.

Anyway, I called the main office of the property mgt today. I told the woman what happened, told her I KNEW I was wrong, apologized for losing my cool with their local employee, and asked if they are now towing, why there were not signs? I explained that I was just running in to take care of something for my 92 year old Mom, even though I know that does not make it right. She was kind, told me we all lose our cool, asked how old my Mom is, and said she would have someone get back to me.

I figure the $75.00 is history, but am of the opinion there should be some signage in the parking lot warning of cars being towed. Had a seen a sign, which would have been new, maybe, I would not have been such a rule breaker. New residents are always moving in, they may have visitors that inadvertently park in and R vs a V spot, and will come out to find their cars gone. A little signage could go a long way.

Yes? No? Do I need another rum drink?

So do any of you ever break parking lot rules? Come clean! Try not to judge me, I know a "few" of you break a few speed limit rules.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Lainey, my first thought was, no, I never park where I'm not supposed to.

But wait, I forgot that I do it regularly when I go to the ATM.

My ATM is not at a bank. It's stuck in the wall at the edge of a coffee shop right next to a Home Depot. I park on the flat red curb in the Home Depot turn-in for truck loading, use the nearby ATM, and leave. It takes a max of 5 minutes but probably more like 3 and I'm in sight of my car the whole time. I'm asking for it.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Simple answer for me, nope.
Levi
Old 08-14-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Lainy, I have never parked in a handicapped space illegally, but other spots? Yup. So far never caught.
You should check with your local law enforcement or parking enforcement. Around here they CANNOT tow you unless there are signs warning you that you can be towed.
Did you get a receipt from the driver?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

The only time I can think of is 'waiting in the car' in a no parking area while +1 runs in to buy something. So the moral of your story is 'carry cash' if you are going to break the law.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Morris
Lainy, I have never parked in a handicapped space illegally, but other spots? Yup. So far never caught.
You should check with your local law enforcement or parking enforcement. Around here they CANNOT tow you unless there are signs warning you that you can be towed.
Did you get a receipt from the driver?
I did get a receipt, and the reason I did call the property mgt was to ask about signage. Maybe I missed it. Maybe there is an old sign in the lobby. I'll have to look.

Patty, scofflaws enjoy the company of other scofflaws. It makes us feel better.

Dave, I think we have all done the "just waiting thing." Maybe not Levi though.

Levi, see you in a few weeks!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve never been a parking scofflaw. Once we came close to being towed when I parked in a lot with several empty parking spaces reserved for the patrons of a restaurant. When my wife and I walked to the street, as opposed to a diagonal walk into the restaurant a tow truck operator was ready to hook and haul us until we were convincing enough to persuade the driver that we were indeed patrons of the restaurant.

I now check for warning signs that may be posted anywhere throughout parking parameter and look for the parasites that make a living off of others unknowing mistakes.

It’s big business where I live, and just now are parking infractions being scrutinized by local municipalities. They will soon (with the next decade) have "guidelines" that will help clarify what is a parking infringement and "towie’s" rights. I'm certain much will be slanted to assist towing companies -- after all...they have the money to become persuasive.

gary

Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Lainey, you should call the police dept. and ask if there must be signs before towing is allowed on private property, and if so, where does it need to be posted. The nazis in the facility there won't know the rules and might lie if they did. If they did not meet the requirements, demand that they reimburse you, or have your +1 do it so you don't get worked up again.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:40 PM

Thanks. Morris I've got some research being done now.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I got my one and only parking ticket about 6 years ago. It was chronicled in this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/633...parking+ticket

Some of the posts are cut off, so briefly here's what happened:

I took my S2000 to our local Home Depot. Fearing door dings I always look for a far away spot. I parked in a spot so far away you virtually needed binoculars to see my car from the door of the store. There were absolutely no cars parked near me. The closest car was probably about 250 feet away. As always I parked my car at an angle. Usually I am at an angle but within the lines. This time my rear bumper was about 3 inches over the line. When I came out I had a parking ticket on the window for "Improper Parking". It turns out that the ticket cost me $51 dollars. I mailed a check into the court.

I still park in the furthest possible spot, I still try to park in the end spot if possible and I still angle my car. The only thing that has changed is that now I make sure I'm within the lines.

Quick Reply: Are you ever a parking space scofflaw?