S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Young drivers and maturity

Old 09-03-2003, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ralper,
While I have yet to read to thread, I wanted to throw this out for discussion. I worked my through college and medical school. I did everything from administrative assistant work, construction, moving furniture, waiting tables, running an espresso bar and finaly working the door at the bar (medical school). During this time I was attending school full-time. There is nothing special about me. Anyone, including this kid can do it if they stay focused. Who knows, maybe the s2000 is his reward, something that reminds him of the good things he can have with continued hard work. For me, it was a VW Corrado. I worked 3 friggin jobs in the summer to get that car and get some mods. Of note, Dell stock was semi-affordable at that time and had I invested I would be sitting pretty. In the end, good ol' fashioned hardwork and stubborness will prevail. If not, the world needs ditch diggers to.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tenblade2001
[B]Ralper,
While I have yet to read to thread, I wanted to throw this out for discussion. I worked my through college and medical school.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
[B]There is a thread going on right now in the S2000 Talk forum that I find to be maybe the most frightening thread I have read in my time here.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dallas
[B]

ralpher,

I think that the specific points you make are quite valid.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ralper,
I understand your point. But, here is the scenario I see in the near future. The kid will have the car for a awhile and then something unplanned will happen and he'll be forced to decide between the car and education. I was in this same situation. My beloved Corrado was sold, and I got a scirocco. I needed the money for school and sold the car without hesitation. I tRUINED my credit (I'm a MD and I can't even get a good home loan), but I did what I had to do.
I think our differing perspectives are due the fact that you're a parent and I am not. Your instinct is protect someone from making stupid mistakes, while I say make the mistake, but be prepared for the consequences.
I am a strong believer in social darwinism. People wil get ahead, no matter what challenge comes their way, if they focus 110% to overcoming the problem and doing whatever it takes to solve the problem or acheive their goal. Just my 2cents.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tenblade2001
[B]Ralper,
Old 09-03-2003, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhh, the possession based society influence strikes again!

I have to admit that I did not read all 4 pages of that thread as I am finding that I am getting more and more bored of reading things like this - maybe I am part of the problem....

My gut feel is that this kid has NO experience with money and will regret it. I hope I am wrong and I do believe that sometimes you need to learn the lesson yourself. BUT - if your going to fall, do you want to fall off a cliff or off a curb?

I think this poor kid has chosen a cliff. His safety net will probably be the parents - not a bad thing if they are aware of it. Hell my parents helped me out greatly at that age.

Also $300 left over for gas, cell phone...well what about insurance and god help him if he needs to fix it or replace something like tires....

I also can't believe some are actually telling him what exhaust to get....the kid probably doesn't even know how to drive the car properly yet. His first mod should be a driving school imo.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by matrix
[B]
My gut feel is that this kid has NO experience with money and will regret it.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:58 PM

Received 4,958 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Dallas, your comment on James Dean...... gave me a flashback. I certainly recall that I and thousands of teenagers like me could identify with him in Rebel Without a Cause. Just saying his name is instant flashback to a white teeshirt with rolled up sleaves holding a pack of Luckies, red jacket with the colar up, jeans, and motorcycle boots. And Natalie Woods, OMG, did she ever look better in a sweater. Little did I know that almost 50 years later I'd be playing the part of his father!
Old 09-03-2003, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlq04
[B] Little did I know that almost 50 years later I'd be playing the part of his father!

Quick Reply: Young drivers and maturity