S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Your parents are only old once. Your children are only young once.

Old 11-07-2003, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A post in S2000 talk reminded me of some words I heard in a radio interview that I wanted to share. Even though I posted them there, I wanted to share them here.

Some years ago I heard an interview on the radio where someone was interviewing Cokie Roberts (daughter of a former Speaker of the House, radio commentator on NPR, and commentator on one of the TV networks.) She was talking about her decision to put family above career for a while, espousing that there is no "once in a lifetime opportuntity," because if you've got what the job takes, you'll still have it when another one comes along.

Anyway, the words I wanted to share are: "Your parents are only old once. Your children are only young once."

My apologies for the botched cut and paste in the subject line. I can't figure out how to change it. Ralph or Deb, if you can tell me how to correct the subject line, I'd appreciate it.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:44 PM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I agree and that is why I have been a stay at home mom for the past 16 years. My kids are fun to be around, responsible individuals and get A's in school. I know part of the reason is because I'm always here for them and they know they are valued.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cokie Roberts
espousing that there is no "once in a lifetime opportuntity," because if you've got what the job takes, you'll still have it when another one comes along.
Easy for her to say.

I had a half page response worked out for this post.
I decided not to post it. Sorry.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PWRMKR,

I agree that the daughter of a former Speaker of the House (her father was Hale Boggs) would have access to opportunities that an ordinary person wouldn't.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:40 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

It really is all about priorities and finding the proper balance in life.

My kids are only young once and my parents are only old once. I need some time to be with my wife, and I need some time for myself. That said, I also have to feed my family. We all walk that same tightrope.

Cokie Roberts and other celebrities don't count, they have the luxury of having a safety net under their tightrope.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:41 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by ralper
....Cokie Roberts and other celebrities don't count, they have the luxury of having a safety net under their tightrope.
Rob, I disagree here I am not a celebrity hound at all, but those folks have a lot farther on the downward fall if they lose their footing on th rope. Their whole self image is often based on ego, physical appearance, material possessions, peer acceptance and other superficial issues. How many Hollywood types would say that "family comes first"?
Old 11-09-2003, 08:37 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by paS2K
Old 11-09-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Perhaps she's just saying that you need to set priorities. And if you set your priority as your career, you just might miss something more precious. I have neither parents nor children. The loss of parents is something that you can't change and the decision to not have children was one that was based on goals/priorities. Sometimes I do miss both, but you live with your decisions and your losses.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:37 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I don't have children either, but I am closer than ever to my parents. I feel very fortunate to still have both of them around, and they live near me so I see them alot and talk to them every day on the phone. They both have had major medical issues, so I've been involved with their lives even more in recent years.

Of course, feeling my own mortality more as I get older, I want to make the most of my time with them. So they are definitely a priority in my life. I feel sad when I see how families squabble and waste precious time arguing over essentially meaningless issues with their loved ones. I certainly had disagreements with my parents over the years, too, but I don't want to look back and have any regrets. I know alot of people who do.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, these last two posts really get to some tough issues - being 'vintage' includes being around long enough to see loved ones come and go under various circumstances.

I'm reminded of a saying I once heard - 'no one on their death bed ever said they wish they had stayed later at the office' - almost always people if they were honest would wish they had and did more w/ their families.

Of course in this age of dysfunctionalism to have a family intact that knows how to love is a tall order - maybe it's another myth that the good ol' days when families stayed together and everyone got along - but it seems more than not my generation doesn't know how or want to be closer w/ their parents (general statement).

For those of you who have the blessing of family and healthy relationships I wholeheartedly applaud your efforts to preserve and maintain that...it's definitely worth sacrificing for...For those that don't (myself include) I can only say you can only do your part and attempt to improve and reconcile things; (one can never change another person; at best a positive influence) at least you'll have a clear conscience.

It's been written what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul - likewise people knock themselves out and find out too late that they've 'lost' their children or their marriages after getting to the top. ROSEBUD.....

Quick Reply: Your parents are only old once. Your children are only young once.