S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Is your wife/husband a sportscar person?

Old 09-21-2003, 04:20 AM

Received 714 Likes on 437 Posts

Thankfully my husband is a sports car person -- loves the S, but likes vettes the best. He's always owned a corvette and likes cars in general (especially fast cars). We both enjoy the S and he's a great sport about being a passenger in the S. He also loves convertibles, so I feel very blessed.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife loves Cart,NHRA,and WRC...and if I go get donuts from Tim Horton's she'll watch F-1 on Sunday mornings with me.So yes she is very much into cars in general
We have gone to Good Guys events and NSRA street rod nationals too
However I'm the one who does the car detailing in the house.The Mid-Ohio sportscar course is her favorite track to visit
Old 09-21-2003, 08:18 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Kathy is a "people person", so she likes the pre- and post- gatherings...more than the itself!

In general, she's a pretty good trooper about my addiction. I think she has bought my story: "There are a lot worse vices" We have attended FC 01 and FC 02 together, but she's probably sitting out FC 03 due to a conflict. Together we have attended both of the OBX drives, which is a +1000 mile long weekend (I lure her into submission by including a visit to 1 or 2 friends in VA or NC ) We usually share the s2k driving on longer trips...maybe 1/3 me and 2/3 her.

She knows and relates to several of the east coast s2k luminaries and nut cases, including Rick H, W1ngman, Defender (turtle man), Airgate, charlie, Mikes2k (but she doesn't know about the )

I'm lucky that she doesn't worry about getting bad hair from the wind. Last month I actually borrowed her Passat for a father/son 4-day trip to OH, and the S2000 provided local transportation for she and my daughter at our cottage near Gettysburg. They even did a Thelma & Louise out into the mountains of central PA (the area will be on the FC 03 driving course )

Now, I have some additional observations about younger S2000 couples, but that will have to wait for Rob to pry it out of me
Old 09-21-2003, 08:33 PM
dee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife learned to drive using a manual transmission, and she is a very good driver; however, she is hesitant to drive the S because I am constantly reminding her about watching the frontend when parking and taking bumps and low places at too high of speeds. I also remind her at times that she can shift into 6th. I guess she had too many years driving our 5-speed '86 Accord.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:49 PM

My wife is a non-car guy, but she has become more interested. (She's had our TL-S up higher than I have.) But the S is my baby; she's not fond of it and doesn't drive it. Actually, I don't know what I'd do if she DID want to drive it, however good a driver she is. We have the "it'l mess up my hair" problem, but she doesn't mind some wind-in-the-hair miles. She's been very tolerant of my car habit over the years, never objecting to my toys in the garage. In fact, when we bought the Acura TL-S in 2002, it was the very first car without a stick shift.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:53 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

My wife likes fast cars. When i first met her she showed me her go cart (with a 450cc honda in it) .Just after I first met her, I watched her burn all the rubber off a set of tires in a 340 cuda I owned. When we lived in Montana we tried cross country 4x4 racing where the fastest winch wins.

Since then we'ves tried racing everything from sailboats to swamp buggies. We're going to try autoxing next month in our S. i hope I can beat her.

Our S is one of the most fun cars we've ever owned.

fltsfshr
Old 09-22-2003, 05:21 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Another great thread. Rob, I think you stay up nights thinking of topics.

Barbara likes the S, but isn't anywhere near as interested in all of this as I am. She goes to the parties and is a gracious hostess when we have them. She has never driven the car and doesn't ask to. The biggest draw back is she gets cold easily and would rather have the top up on a nice 70 degree day.

Last night we compromised and drove home from R.I. with the top down and the side windows up with the heat on. I hadn't driven in this configuration before and must admit it was warmer and I could hear the radio much better. So I live and learn.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:41 AM

Hilly is decidedly a car nut. When we were just married I got her involved with helping to crew on my college professor's D production Datsun 2000, and that got her hooked. We nearly bought a 260Z (first-born interferred with that), and when I got the RX-7 in 97 she loved it.

She was actively involved with the purchase of the S, and insisted we thoroughly evaluate the candidates. While she liked the 350Z better than I did, she came to agree that the S was the better choice.

She hasn't learned to drive stick yet, although she's now showing interest in doing that. She loves cruising in the S, especially top down. Whether it's a short evening drive or a day-long trip, she's ready to go. We can't wait til next year when we will be taking the S on our annual vacation road trip; she'll be sharing the driving duties by then.

After 29 years of marriage, I think I'll keep her.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:54 AM

Only when she's driving. Otherwise, she doesn't like to get her hair messed up.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:57 AM

M had wanted a Miata for many years, but she never got around to learning to drive a car with a standard transmission. I was always the practical one.

One evening on the way home from work I saw an S2000 and fell in love with it. On an impulse and with M's encouragement, I bought one and love it. Now M wants me to drive the S2000 everywhere we go and she insists that the top be down unless it's raining!

Quick Reply: Is your wife/husband a sportscar person?