S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

3M Paint Defender Spray Clear Film

Old 05-03-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3M Paint Defender Spray Clear Film

3M™ Paint Defender Spray Film provides protection where it matters. Defend your vehicle's paint from rock chips, bugs, sand, salt, and other everyday driving hazards with this innovative spray-applied protective product.

-Invisible, seamless car paint protection applied as a spray-on liquid and dries to a continuous clear film

-Completely removable and safe for clear coat

-Protects any painted surface such as hoods, bumpers, fenders, mirrors, rocker panels, and more

-Guards your car’s paint against rocks, bugs, sand, scratches, dings, road debris and more to keep your vehicle looking newer, longer

-Includes one can of 3M™Paint Defender Spray Film 17.5 ounces, one 1-ounce packet of Wax and complete, easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions for application in approximately 30 minutes

What do you guys think? Way better alternative out of a can than Plastidip to protect your car's paint. Supposedly very durable and last 1-2 years under normal wear and tear. After that, peel it off and reapply it. Saw it at Autozone earlier, going back later to pick some up.

Easy Application
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3hJYmtKR4[/media]

Gravelometer Test (Rock chips from roads)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmtMV_0Otwo[/media]
Old 05-03-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks neat. It's about $42 for the kit.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-90000-Paint.../dp/B00BSKYM82

With the way they show it being applied, I'm curious if it gets enough of a coating on the leading edge of the hood.

A small problem I have with the 2nd video is that they can design their testing machine to shoot the rocks at just below the threshold of where the film stops working, but it gives me no indication of what that speed might be. 20 mph? 30 mph?

In addition, they're testing it with the rocks hitting the painted surface dead-on, instead of at a glancing blow. If I were to guess, I'd imagine that this makes the test harder for the film and is therefore conservative, but I could be 100% wrong.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

interesting, I wonder how hard it is to remove?? Id love to spray my lip with this stuff.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:54 AM

From the looks of it in the video, its really easy to remove. Just slide your fingers on the side, lift, and pull... thats it lol. Leaves no residue whatsoever
Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 PM

This looks great! I think I am going to pick up a kit this week. Nice find.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM

This is the most exciting new paint-care product i've come across in a while. Waxes and sealants are great for looks and dirt shedding ability, but in terms of actual real-world protection this appears to be next level.

I am going to try and do the front bumper/quarter hood/headlights on the s2000, see how if i can slow the degredation of rocks, track sandblasting, and bugs have done in 33k miles.

Previously I've opticoated my 15 year old 98 taffeta white civic. It's original single stage paint with no clear coat, and while a polish really cleans it up, the opticoat was unable to keep dirt from getting in the pores of the hood and trunk horizontal surfaces (not saying i didn't mess up the opticoat application). If a coating of this could lock in and keep what's left of the paint protected it would be awesome.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up a can at Autozone. Have you ever heard of a bad 3M product? Hopefully this is the real deal!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks a Lots easier than a clear Bra & less expensive !
Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Id love to hear some long term usage report on this. Hopefully its as easy to peel off after say 20k miles with no residue or discoloration.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

interested as well

Quick Reply: 3M Paint Defender Spray Clear Film