S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

black car woes

Old 02-13-2004, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black car woes

I have tried everythign to get rid of my swirl marks. I am wondering if i am even defining swirl mark correctly. I did the zaino system and now instead of like circlur swirls it have front to back lines. is there anythign out there to fix this? it is getting to the point where i want to paint it. If it is dusk or night out it looks AMAZING but when the sun hits it right it is covered in lines, wax/zaino/ o similur products help for a short time but i have to do that every single time i wash the car. is there anyway to get rid of these?
Old 02-13-2004, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

zaino will not get rid of swirls... swirl removal is not a simple quick process.

you need a swirl remover- 3m makes one for dark colored cars.
follow the instructions exactly (small areas at a time and up and down and side to side).

although the best way to remove swirls is by machine, if you are a newbee, imo you should try the hand method first:

http://properautocare.com/removingswirls.html
Old 02-13-2004, 07:21 AM

3M swirl remover + a lot of time/elbow grease or a Porter Cable....
Old 02-13-2004, 07:21 AM

Have you used Z5 swirl mark removed yet? When you apply zaino you use circular marks, when you take it off you go straight.

If its really bad you may need to take your car to have professionally detailed, where they use harsher abrasive products to get the swirl marks out. If that does not fix it you can have the car wet sanded, which will definately take them out.

My advice is if your frustrated, go find a good detailer, they can fix it.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:23 AM

Have you ever owned a black car before? Honestly, I think you just need to suck it up and live with it, because regardless of using swirl remover, the next time you wash/wax your car, they're just going to come back.

Black is simply a horrendous color when it comes to swirl mark visibility. After my black Miata, I vowed I'd never own another black car.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:34 AM

yes first one. it looks so good! hehe least when the sun isnt on it1 i will try the 3m stuff thansk for the info. If that doesnt work ill have it done by a pro!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:57 AM

i respectfully disagree with heffergm...
i do agree that black cars take more care, especially if you are a perfectionist like me.
my current car had no significant swirls for the first two years of its life. when it got some, i started by covering them with z5.. when they got bad enough to bother me i removed them.
a year and a half later they are just beginning to come back.
swirls do happen! but you can minimize them.
my car is kept clean- it always looks freshly detailed (even after several weeks) by serveral coats of zaino followed by carnuba, interim detail sprays, and a car cover with a soft lining that is washed every time the car is detailed. you need to make sure that the only things that ever touch the surface of the car are clean microfiber towels, your duster, and quality products.
my car is in the office inside parking lot now, covered by the car cover (which also helps since the top is never up).
Old 02-13-2004, 08:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Here here Wanabe. I agree completely. My black Toyota Tundra is now almost three years old. I still get people who ask "Did you get a new truck"? My previous 4Runner, was also black, and when I sold it after three years of daily use, the buyers were astounded that unlike the other black's they had looked at, mine still looked fresh and new. All of this comes in light of the harsh climate we have up here in Calgary, where for 7-8 mos of the year, roads are covered with gobs of snow, littered with gravel as large as 0.5" in diameter, and slushy salt water on Chinook days.

Black does take more time and patience to keep looking new. Indeed, I spend on average 3x as much time cleaning my Black Tundra, than I do my parent's 2003 Gold 4 Runner, despite them both being appx. the same size.

Swirl marks, while inevitable can be hidden and/or removed, but a little common sense goes a long way in keeping them down to a minimum.

Besides, who is going to argue that black isn't the nicest looking colour when it is all glossed up and shone nicely?

Asif
Old 02-13-2004, 08:17 AM

asif- we agree on the benefits...
get to drive a new car all the time, numerous compliments, and the resale value is higher-
and i like detailing!!!
you have more of a challenge than i do, since you have weather to contend with-
Old 02-13-2004, 08:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by wanabe
asif- we agree on the benefits...
get to drive a new car all the time, numerous compliments, and the resale value is higher-
and i like detailing!!!
you have more of a challenge than i do, since you have weather to contend with-
...and a tank of a vehicle too (The domestic truck guys might disagree). I enjoy detailing too. Have you had a look at my hobby/part time business website....

www.pebblebeachauto.com

Asif

Quick Reply: black car woes