S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Cleaning your engine??

Old 04-03-2008, 06:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sireousrex,Apr 3 2008, 10:27 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use power washer in an engine bay to avoid getting water forced where it shouldn't be. A good foamy engine detergent (CD, gunk etc..) and hose water is all it takes.
I hear a lot about this Gunk Cleaner... is that the brand or is that the general name for the product?

Andre
Old 04-03-2008, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Thread.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:34 AM

have any of you people tried bmw engine cleaner?? I was a bmw service tech. and after every major repair or service i would clean the customers engine as a courtesy. that stuff worked great and was inexpensive, we sold it for roughly 8.00 cdn. per bottle. (note: bottle should be enough for 2-3 washes) spray everywhere and rinse. works really well.

i do it while engine is running spray the whole engine and bay down let soak for a couple of minutes. rinse with water med-high pressure. road test vehicle and then use compressed air nosle to blow everything down. thays what i do works for me and all the customer cars ive done
Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by hondafreak13,Apr 3 2008, 11:34 AM
have any of you people tried bmw engine cleaner?? I was a bmw service tech. and after every major repair or service i would clean the customers engine as a courtesy. that stuff worked great and was inexpensive, we sold it for roughly 8.00 cdn. per bottle. (note: bottle should be enough for 2-3 washes) spray everywhere and rinse. works really well.

i do it while engine is running spray the whole engine and bay down let soak for a couple of minutes. rinse with water med-high pressure. road test vehicle and then use compressed air nosle to blow everything down. thays what i do works for me and all the customer cars ive done
You sprayed water while the engine was running?

I thought that was bad?

Andre
Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Apr 3 2008, 10:34 AM
I hear a lot about this Gunk Cleaner... is that the brand or is that the general name for the product?

Andre
Gunk is the brand name. Get the foamy kind though because the regular doesn't work as well IMO.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 AM

degreaser foam, pressure washer/40degree tip, engine dressing
Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Apr 3 2008, 07:48 AM
You sprayed water while the engine was running?

I thought that was bad?

Andre
never gave me any problem whatsoever. just dont sit there spraying the alternator for like 5min. straight lol thats just an example. i spray the cleaner everywhere and rinse, while im rinsing i always keep the nosle moving i dont sit there and spray one specific spot. it has always worked for me. I had one problem once on a e46 bmw (3 series 2000) they guys spark plug cover was loose water got in and the car started to missfire. i removed the spark plug cover dried it with compressed air re-installed and properly torqued it. everything ok again.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I would think spraying your engine compartment with armor all would attract dust making a greasy slimy mess.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spraying water and soaping down your engine bay does not harm your engine... like previously stated just dont sit there and spray your alternator or distributor for like 5 minutes and you should be fine. i routinely clean my engine compartment with just water and car shampoo. i have no problems, just make sure the engine is running while you spray... of course if you had some kind of open box intake, dont spray it with water...but i think thats kinda obvious already
Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by shotiable,Apr 3 2008, 07:29 PM
spraying water and soaping down your engine bay does not harm your engine... like previously stated just dont sit there and spray your alternator or distributor for like 5 minutes and you should be fine. i routinely clean my engine compartment with just water and car shampoo. i have no problems, just make sure the engine is running while you spray... of course if you had some kind of open box intake, dont spray it with water...but i think thats kinda obvious already
What does it matter if the engine is running or not?

Andre

Quick Reply: Cleaning your engine??