S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Confused about using ZFX

Old 07-02-2002, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about using ZFX

I received my Zaino order last week (now if my car would only show up!) and the directions are a little confusing regarding ZFX. From what I understand, you can put a maximum of 3 coats (of Z-2 or Z-5 w/ZFX) within a 24 hour period. Ok, that's fine. So, my plan was to do 2 coats of Z-5 and end with one coat of Z-2, hence my 3 coats for the day. I'm confused however about how long I have to wait between each of those 3 coats. After one dries and I wipe it off, is it ready for another coat? Also, is it necessary to use Z-5 on a brand new car? Thank you!

J
Old 07-02-2002, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm a couple of questions there. let me try

z5 shouldn't be neccessary on a new car (expecially a light colored one) but if you already have it then go ahead and put it on. if you have very fine scratches (from dusting) it should smooth it out. it's safe to switch between Z2 and Z5 so no problems there.

i'd suggest this though, mix up a small amount of z5 (say an ounce, which should be two coats) with zfx, put that on the car on day one, then wait till the next day to do z2. i say this because you cannot store Z2/Z5 once you've added ZFX, you have to use it quickly. I've never mixed "just" enough for one coat, so you end up wasting some if you want to put on 3 coats.

yes you can put a new coat on directly after you wipe off the previous coat. as a first timer you should wait 30minutes before wiping it off, you're going to put it on too thick so give it a chance to dry.

some other tips.

1)even on a new car i would clay bar it, this will clean off everything from the clear coat (there's stuff there you can't see!). yes it takes time but it guarantees the zaino will adhere to the cleanest possible car. and on a new S2000 you should be able to clay the car in less than an hour. you don't have to use the zaino clay bar, mothers' makes one thats fine (though i've heard bad things about the meguiars one).

2)use Z6 before putting down a Z2/Z5 coat. this makes the surface slicker and the zaino seems to apply better. also last thing on the car should be a quick Z6 spray. **note that Z6 is very concentrated put it on sparingly.

3)when done with your mixing bottle, use isopropyl alcohol to really clean out the bottle (thanks steve from cashine for that one). then clean the bottle out with dishwashing soap, make sure you are very thorough. you need to get every bit of zfx out of the mixing bottle or you have to throw the bottle away.