S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Crying over spilled milk

Old 07-15-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Crying over spilled milk

Well, thank goodness it wasn't in the s2000, but someone spilled a pint of milk in my wife's Subaru Outback on a hot day.
Long story, but it ends with me hoping she hits a skunk because that probably would smell better than it does now.

i've cleaned and re conditioned the leather seats. Using Lexol products.

Now to on the carpet! Sprayed with vinegar/water mix to try and neutralize.
vaccuumed a few times, scrubbed in some carpet fresh, vacuumed.
changed the cabin filter....not sure that was going to do anything, but needed.

I'm not a detail expert, so I come here looking for ideas.
what else can be done to rid a spoiled milk smell out of this car (besides selling the car)

thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

charcoal air freshner charcoal air freshner
The following users liked this post:
berlinablackie (07-18-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Any time a poster uses the term "someone" did something I assume they're the someone.

There are probably hundreds of internet sited explaining how to remove the smell. Here's one. Have you removed the carpets and seats? May have to.

-- Chuck
Old 07-17-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

After cleaning all the areas exposed to milk, try this product to get the remaining odor.

Dakota Odor Bomb - Car odor bombs for smoke odor removal, pet odor removal and more for a clean, refreshing scent!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Any time a poster uses the term "someone" did something I assume they're the someone.

There are probably hundreds of internet sited explaining how to remove the smell. Here's one. Have you removed the carpets and seats? May have to.

-- Chuck
Haha! I would agree with you BUT...I wasn't the someone. Wife is a social worker with children. She broke her own rule of 'no food in car' by allowing a young child a milk.
Said milk is slowly coming out of the car.

I saw that wikihow page, that's where I got the vinegar/water idea. Came here for any additional ideas, from a source consisting of car lovers.
Appreciate the response, slowly recovering with nightly cleaning efforts.

Last edited by berlinablackie; 07-18-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
After cleaning all the areas exposed to milk, try this product to get the remaining odor.

Dakota Odor Bomb - Car odor bombs for smoke odor removal, pet odor removal and more for a clean, refreshing scent!
THAT is an idea !!! And I've put it on the shopping list.
I'm staying with the cleaning process for now and will finish off with this Dakota Odor Bomb.
Appreciate the thought here. I'll post back after I do this.
There are a lot of kid bathroom accidents in the car from time to time....this should fix all the odor issues.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:55 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I just re-read the original post. A pint of milk is a lot of milk to have in the car. Hopefully it's not that much and is one of those individual child cartons. Roughly 250ml or 8oz (a cup, not pint). Still gonna be a PITA getting the rotten milk out of the car. Lots of dilution and a good shop vac will help but you may have to remove the seats and carpet to get the padding clean.

Time for floor mats with a lip and seat covers. When my Dachshunds are in my larger cars there's a complete cover on the back seat and disposable PeePee pads as well. With this protection they don't bother -- no fun!

-- Chuck
Old 07-18-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I just re-read the original post. A pint of milk is a lot of milk to have in the car. Hopefully it's not that much and is one of those individual child cartons. Roughly 250ml or 8oz (a cup, not pint). Still gonna be a PITA getting the rotten milk out of the car. Lots of dilution and a good shop vac will help but you may have to remove the seats and carpet to get the padding clean.

Time for floor mats with a lip and seat covers. When my Dachshunds are in my larger cars there's a complete cover on the back seat and disposable PeePee pads as well. With this protection they don't bother -- no fun!

-- Chuck
you're right, it's the little milk box given out at schools. I guess "pint" is not the accurate measure. I was wrong there.
ANY amount of spilled milk is too much on a hot day.
we have the Subie outback all season mats, but this spilled down the seats and in to the carpet, under these finely crafted floor mats.
i do have an extra seat cover for my pugs, good idea here to get here to use it for the clients.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

All the odor eater stuff is fine but the primary culprit is still present if I am reading these posts correctly. For something like this, I would remove it. Saturate it with plain ol water first then wet/dry vac. Repeat a few times until the rinse is coming up clear. Add some gee/whiz cleaner if you like and rinse/vac that till clear. You may have to let it soak in a bit since some time has passed. I usually hold a pitcher of hot water in one hand and the vac nozzle in the other so I can apply and suck it up immediately.
berlinablackie (07-21-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baking soda and Lime juice mixed together works great at cleaning and removing bad smells give that ago

Quick Reply: Crying over spilled milk