S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Deionized Water

Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FMINUS,Sep 5 2007, 08:32 AM
I only used Deinonized water on my customers cars. They also tend to marr the paint less due to the lack on minerals in the water.
Why not on yours?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i first opened this i thought it was going to be a thread form 2000 or 2001, havent you people seen the MR. Clean auto dry car was. it does the same thing
Old 09-07-2007, 02:41 AM

You might want to bone up on the subject and make sure your not getting sold a bill of goods when using one of those DI filters. Typically ultra pure water is first vapor distilled, then de-ionized using a much more complicated process. It pretty darn hard to remove all the desolved solids from water. It's damn near impossible to do it with a screw on spigot filter. I'd agree with filtering if you've got really bad water but in most cases you're better served spending your money some where else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deionized_water

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water
Old 09-07-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by kctheflish,Sep 7 2007, 02:41 AM
You might want to bone up on the subject and make sure your not getting sold a bill of goods when using one of those DI filters. Typically ultra pure water is first vapor distilled, then de-ionized using a much more complicated process. It pretty darn hard to remove all the desolved solids from water. It's damn near impossible to do it with a screw on spigot filter. I'd agree with filtering if you've got really bad water but in most cases you're better served spending your money some where else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deionized_water

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water
my TDS is around 180 which is pretty good but I still get water spots. Right now I have a mediocre water filter that takes it down to about 60. At 60, it leaves no spots (that I can see).

I am looking to upgrade to a CR system that has an on board TDS meter and will always keep the TDS rating at 0.

And YES, the right system WILL make a difference whether or not your water is "really hard"
Old 09-08-2007, 04:40 AM

Hey, it's your money or business...spend it the way you want.

There are several things that should be considered when using DI water. In this case I'd be more concerned about PH than water spots. DI water has the tendency to go acidic. Needless to say there may be good reason not to use DI water due to that or the fact that it tries to re-absorb, for a lack of a better way of saying it, the ionic components that have been removed. I'm not sure if those facts have a negative impact on your cars finish or parts that get wet however in the lab it not recommended to use DI water for cleaning of parts due to that fact.

Just some food for thought...
Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by kctheflish,Sep 8 2007, 04:40 AM
Hey, it's your money or business...spend it the way you want.

There are several things that should be considered when using DI water. In this case I'd be more concerned about PH than water spots. DI water has the tendency to go acidic. Needless to say there may be good reason not to use DI water due to that or the fact that it tries to re-absorb, for a lack of a better way of saying it, the ionic components that have been removed. I'm not sure if those facts have a negative impact on your cars finish or parts that get wet however in the lab it not recommended to use DI water for cleaning of parts due to that fact.

Just some food for thought...
I have tested the pH levels with my deionizer and the pH levels stayed the same.
Remember that acidity is not as extreme as you would think. Household vinegar has a pH of 3.

I would prefer a drop of even 1 pH for the lack of micro minerals marring/hazing the paint or leaving the dreaded water spots.

But again, everyone has their own way
Old 09-08-2007, 09:23 AM

Ive been using a 3.6 ft^3 DI tank to wash my car for about 4 months now .... I use it to rinse the car and If I am not going to apply any new coats of product I just walk away....

the water from my faucet has a TDS of around 480ppm and in this AZ heat you cant dry the car fast enough to stop "ALL" waterspotting....

After running the water through the DI tank the water is around 4ppm ... total cost is $70 for them to drop off the tank and then a $10 monthly rental fee.....

My impression is that it is the single best item for washing your car... the less time you spend rubbing your paint with a towel the lower the chance that you have to rub swirls into your paint......