S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Ferrari California owner

Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM

Received 730 Likes on 494 Posts
Default Ferrari California owner

Ok, I have been detailing cars for many years and I got a call from a guy who just moved in across the road I live on. He paid cash for a $1mm home and cash for a new condo on the Chesapeake Bay. He said he has 6 cars that he wants me to detail. Ferrari California (300 miles), Bentley, Audi, BMW, Lexus and I am not sure of what #6 is. I asked him why he wants a brand new Ferrari detailed as I honestly do not know what I could improve on. He just wants a protective coating for now and wants the other 5 done. The other day my friend who owns a very good brushless car wash said this guy showed up and wanted to take the Ferrari through the car wash. My friend thought he was insane but the guy insisted so my buddy sat in the car while it was being washed. I told this guy that I would hand wash it but he is very insisitent. Now he wants me to apply the protective coating by hand and not use a buffer which is fine. He thinks all buffers create swirl marks. Now he has to talk to Ferrari first to make sure the product I am applying (Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer) is approved by them. I told him I never create swirl marks and a final coating is not where swirls are introduced anyway. I think I have a nut case here and this guy doesnt know shit about car detailing. I am almost tempted to tell him no but I could use the work. What do you think.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prove yourself to him on someone else's car or your car first. Sell yourself with action, not words.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Have you ever looked at a brand new Ferrari under proper lighting? The finish is beyond terrible.

Do a search on Autopia for (Apollo_Auto), and see what he's been through detailing brand new Ferrari's...
Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do it, but for double your standard price. That way it might be worth the extra trouble.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

tell him you do it your way or not at all......you gotta live up to your work and you cant do that without a machine.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by NJDrive,Jun 24 2010, 02:17 PM
Prove yourself to him on someone else's car or your car first. Sell yourself with action, not words.
He will be seeing my vehicles when he comes over to my house to follow me to the place I do my detailing. He will be a challange but I enjoy a challange and my work not my words will earn his respect.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like you're dead-set on having to learn a lesson the hard way, so here's some advice - take it or leave it.

I hope this guy doesn't turn out to be a hard customer, but the fact that he isn't letting you - the expert - do your job is a huge warning sign. Since you plan on trying to win him over, at least try to learn a good lesson here. Pay very close attention to all the things he says and does that don't sound like your best customers. That way, you will be able to see this type of guy a mile away and you can make a decision to either not work with them, or jack your prices way up to compensate you for the extra trouble.

I learned this lesson a long time ago, and now I only work with the ones I really want to. It is amazing, but me saying "no" to the problem ones actually allowed some of them to open up and drop their crap and become good ones.

The quality of your work will never ever ever be enough for some people. They are successful in one very specific part of the business world and think they have it figured out across the board. The only thing these people respond to is someone who has bigger balls than they do and tells them to shut up and let them do their job.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^
Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 AM

I agree with Harpoon. If you know you're good then don't change YOUR proper/winning techniques. Do you have a portfolio of before and after pics of previous cars you've worked on?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Harpoon,Jun 24 2010, 08:15 PM
It sounds like you're dead-set on having to learn a lesson the hard way, so here's some advice - take it or leave it.

I hope this guy doesn't turn out to be a hard customer, but the fact that he isn't letting you - the expert - do your job is a huge warning sign. Since you plan on trying to win him over, at least try to learn a good lesson here. Pay very close attention to all the things he says and does that don't sound like your best customers. That way, you will be able to see this type of guy a mile away and you can make a decision to either not work with them, or jack your prices way up to compensate you for the extra trouble.

I learned this lesson a long time ago, and now I only work with the ones I really want to. It is amazing, but me saying "no" to the problem ones actually allowed some of them to open up and drop their crap and become good ones.

The quality of your work will never ever ever be enough for some people. They are successful in one very specific part of the business world and think they have it figured out across the board. The only thing these people respond to is someone who has bigger balls than they do and tells them to shut up and let them do their job.
Good advice. I am doing one of his other cars (Audi) on Monday so this will give me an opportunity to check this guy out and if I do my usual quality work and he is dissatisfied then I will not do anymore work for him. I am retired and this is not paying the bills. I do it because I love doing this type of work and the sense of pride it gives me. At this stage in my life I dont need and will not tolerate people who think just because they have tons of money they can belittle those people who try to do an honest job to the best of their ability. I have other jobs waiting from people who have seen the quality of my work and are very anxious for me to work on their vehicles. Thanks for the comments.

Quick Reply: Ferrari California owner