S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

GPW - 7 year refresher

Old 08-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
looks like they did a very good job. white is such an unrewarding color to correct, but they got some good gloss out of it for sure!
Why is that? I was thinking of selling my Silverstone and waiting around for a clean GPW to pop up for sale.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MuttGrunt
Thanks for the kind words guys!

As a fellow S2000 owner for some time, I knew a lot about the car and things to look out for as well as what is effective to use on our super soft clear-coat.

Here's what we ended up doing / using.

Wheels: P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel as to not harm the beautiful aftermarket wheels.
Tires: Optimum Power Clean and a stiff brush
Engine bay: Optimum Power Cleaner and various soft brushes
Gas door / water channels around the trunk: Optimum Power Clean and a soft boar's hair brush
Exhaust Tips: Auto Finesse Mercury Metal Polish

After a pre-wash and wash, we used Iron-X to help remove metal particles from the clear. After we clayed the paint, rinsed the vehicle down, and blew her dry.

Polishing was only two steps to achieve our desired result: Meguiar's 205 on white followed by 3M Ultrafine Machine Polish on a black pad. We then rewashed the vehicle to remove dust and oils from polishing. Finally, the finish had a coat of Menzerna PowerLock sealant applied to the paint while the windshield was coated with Aquapel. Tires dressed with Optimum Tire Shine, interior vacuumed thoroughly, interior hard surfaces cleaned / protected with 1Z Cockpit Premium, and the door jambs / water channels were protected with a thin layer of Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical.

The end result was amazing, but we were also lucky to have worked for an owner that has been doing a very nice job of taking care of his baby over these years. Because of his proactive and smart use of his vehicle, the areas that are usually looking brutal (leather seats / side bolsters, paint, trim, wheels) were actually in very good overall shape. Our work was to make sure the finish was decontaminated to bring out the purity of the color, and then refine it to achieve maximum gloss.
Looks Nice! I also have a GPW myself and I am in SE metro Detroit also.
I actually saw that RED AP2 yesterday trying to avoid traffic light! I believe he turn at a automotive shop.