S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Headlight Restoration

Old 11-26-2013, 06:01 AM

Received 706 Likes on 478 Posts

I have a Flex polisher, can i Use the 6" pads with the 105/205 combo. Also, I will use the lube I use when clay barring.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I have a Flex polisher, can i Use the 6" pads with the 105/205 combo. Also, I will use the lube I use when clay barring.
That's a large diameter pad (too large in my opinion) for when the headlamps are on the car! I use a Griot's Garage 3" machine for this. You may want to consider using a 3" or 4" backing pad made for a drill along with corresponding pads. As mentioned, be sure to mask off the perimeter of the headlamp to protect the finish on the fenders and bumper.

Harbor Freight sells a kit for $10 that has gotten good reviews (4.5 out of 5).
Old 12-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I'll offer my two scents. I restore headlights,wetsand scratches, fix interiors and fix cracked windshields professionally and there are two ways to do your headlights the good way and the good for now way. On Japanese cars the stock headlight sealant (The stuff that gets all nasty and corroded) is really soft and easy to sand off, I usually just wetsand it with 1500 and then 2000. After that you have two options 1) buff with a compound, and then plastic polish (meguiars makes one that comes in a little bottle). Or 2) now spray it with a UV resistant clear. If it's my car or my friends or families car (or someone willing to pay) I'm choosing the second option, only because it will last longer. I use U-POL UV resistant clear. If you can take out the headlights its usually a good idea. When you spray just remember to put on a few coats and wait a few minutes in between. Start with a couple dry light coats and then end with a nice wet coat (No drips though!) If the come out too orange peeled, simply wetsand them with 2000 (once completely cured) and then buff them. Another tip heat up the bottle and lense with a heat gun or blow dryer if its cool outside, the clear will lay a lot nicer. I just got an s2000 and will be doing this to mine, even though they aren't terrible. I just want to wait till it gets a bit warmer. I'll post pics when I do
Old 01-18-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump, because I just used this method on my headlights and it worked flawlessly thank you OP.

However, I did change it up just a little (not necessarily for the better, but it worked for me):

- taped off the headlights about 4" deep on all sides (to protect paint for any product and from DA polisher
- wetsanded with 1,000
- wetsanded with 1,500 (just a little different than OP)
- wetsanded with 2,000
- wetsanded with 3,000 (for about twice as long as the lower grit)
- i was spraying water with very light detergent feverishly throughout all sanding, and then sprayed the dickens out of the headlights once i was done sanding
- wiped the headlights down with clean microfiber cloth
- let the headlights AND tape dry in the sun
- wiped the headlights and tape down with a clean microfiber cloth again just to be sure they were dry
- used an 8006 meguires 6.5" pad with the DA polisher and used meguires ultimate compound (different than OP), started with 3 speed and bumped up to 6 speed
- wiped headlights down with clean microfiber cloth
- switched to a 9006 meguires 6.5" pad with the DA polisher and used meguires ultimate polish (different than OP), again with 3 speed then bumped up to 6 speed
- wiped headlights down with a clean microfiber cloth and got them as clean and streak free as possible
- applied mother's carnuba wax (solid, sold in the can) with an applicator pad by hand
- let the wax dry
- thoroughly buffed off the wax by hand with a clean microfiber cloth
- applied meguires headlight protectant/sealant to a clean microfiber cloth and in small circles rubbed it into the headlights
- lightly buffed the remaining protectant off with the other side of the microfiber cloth

and tada! they are done! they look amazing too i'll upload some pictures of my results soon
Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 PM

I've had great luck with the Sylvania headlight kit. Comes with sandpaper, polishing compound, and a clearcoat.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by spets
I've had great luck with the Sylvania headlight kit. Comes with sandpaper, polishing compound, and a clearcoat.
I don't know what the difference between the meguires kit and the sylvania kit, but the meguires kit I used on my wife's car had 2 types of sandpaper (i think 1000 and 2000 grit) hook and look pads (1 each... very small), a polishing compound with a small wool drill bit attachment to work in the polish, and then it came with a headlight UV protectant.

I cleared her headlights up very well (they were extremely hazy) but the difference between the method I used on mine (OP's method) and the meguires kit I used on my wifes car is night and day. Her headlights are "cleared up," but mine look like factory new.