S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How do I know when I've worked a product fully?

Old 09-12-2007, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I know when I've worked a product fully?

What signs should I look for to tell me when I've worked a compound or polish properly and completely?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they each have slight differences, but the common characteristic is either the product dries and dusts or it just isnt there anymore- polishes break down as you use them. when they are fully broken down is usually when you are finished. always read the product instructions to see if yours has any special characteristics.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 AM

ok, so i havent been working them quite far enough. Makes me glad to hear that - hopefully if i work them fully the last of my swirls will go away.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:33 AM

It would be a waste of product to not work it all the way.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:31 AM

Which product are you using?
As wanabe said, some (most) go to dust. Others (Zaino ZPC, etc.) just are no longer visible. You will find that the amount of time you can work a polish will greatly vary with heat and humidity.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:18 AM

most the time the product flashes or looks dry when it has full broken down. But like W said, it depends on the product.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:02 AM

Now there is something to be careful of - flashing and being broken down are two different things and one is not indicative of the other.

A product will often flash if conditions are not right way before it is fully broken down. This can be a big issue with some of the Menzerna products on a warm surface or in sunlight. When the product flashes, it just means that the heat on the panel, heat in the air, heat from the equipment, and humidity have caused the wet/volatile/liquid portion of the polish to go away. To fight this, many will mix a glaze in with the polish to increase the working time. Personally, I use Clear Kote Red Moose Glaze for this.

When a polish is actually broken down, the abrasives have been divided enough times to be of such a size that their marring is minimal (PB SSR) or virtually invsible (Zaino polishes).

-GT
Old 09-13-2007, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by GTScott,Sep 13 2007, 07:02 AM
Now there is something to be careful of - flashing and being broken down are two different things and one is not indicative of the other.

A product will often flash if conditions are not right way before it is fully broken down. This can be a big issue with some of the Menzerna products on a warm surface or in sunlight. When the product flashes, it just means that the heat on the panel, heat in the air, heat from the equipment, and humidity have caused the wet/volatile/liquid portion of the polish to go away. To fight this, many will mix a glaze in with the polish to increase the working time. Personally, I use Clear Kote Red Moose Glaze for this.

When a polish is actually broken down, the abrasives have been divided enough times to be of such a size that their marring is minimal (PB SSR) or virtually invsible (Zaino polishes).

-GT
Menzerna is touchy at times, to increase the working times, I sometimes add OPT polish.

You are correct in your explanation of flashing/breaking down, however IME polishes that are broken down tend to flash a lot quicker.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by GTScott,Sep 13 2007, 11:02 AM
This can be a big issue with some of the Menzerna products on a warm surface or in sunlight.
That's a problem with just about any product and why it is always recommended to polish cool panels in a garage or shaded area.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:00 AM

I am using Optimum Compound and Optimum Polish.

Unfortunately I don't have a garage or enough shade to work out of at least some sunlight - I live in an apartment.

Thanks for the info so far. I think I just need to work

Would I be better off switch to Poorboy's product line (heard they work in sunlight).

Also, can you explain how to mix in a glaze to prolong working times/

Quick Reply: How do I know when I've worked a product fully?