Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Appearance > S2000 Wash and Wax
Reload this Page >

How do you clean Engine bay?

S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How do you clean Engine bay?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up How do you clean Engine bay?

I have lots of stuff to clean the exterior (well I haven't done for a while due to the weather), but not the engine bay. Today I took a careful look and realized it was really dirty, with lots of sands and shits.

How do you people clean Engine bay? Just rinse it with water and be careful not to get it on CAI filter and battery? Does anyone know a place that cleans the Engine bay for a decent price?

Any opinions appreciated.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll probably get a better answer in the wash and wax forum.

So im going to move this for you.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:41 PM

really easy, cover the cai and alternator, spray down, soap it up and agitate the soiled spots with a brush. rinse off, dry excess water.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=278999
Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 PM

Another good thing to use after the cleaning/washing process is to dress the engine. My favorite product is Megiuar's Hyperdressing @ 4:1.

The poster above me pointed you in the right direction for the process.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^What do you mean by "dressing" the engine? Excuse my noob question.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM

After you clean it, basically giving the black plastic parts, etc the nice black lok, like airbox cover, fuse covers, etc. Anything under the hood that isnt metal.

Kinda like dressing your tires,plastic trim, wheels wells on the car.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
mlc
Community Organizer

As far as cleaning the engine bay. I covered the alt, battery and fuse boxes with tinfoil. Then I use SimpleGreen straight out of the bottle. Spray it on use a light brush to clean then take a hose and gently spray it down.

If you want to dress your engine try this stuff. http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,2,2,1. You can find it at most automotive stores. I found it at Auto Zone. Look in the section with the brake cleaner not were they keep the car detailing stuff. It works very well. Just follow the instructions.

Kevin
Old 02-04-2009, 04:24 PM

CD2 is a great engine dressing as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:39 PM

Simple green tends to eat away some metal. My brother used to use simple green on his engine and his injen cai ended up losing its shine. I think its best to use some sort of car soap instead.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM

Here is my advice and works great as my engine bay is immaculate and looks the same as the day I got the car.

Start with a cold engine, unless you have grease/oil build up in which case let it warm up to the point of being warm to the touch. Then hose down the entire engine with water. Then try a cleaner/degreaser (I would go with P21S Total Auto Wash). Let it sit. Get a soft bristled brush and agitate the areas that have dirt or grease build up. Then hose the engine bay down with water to remove the cleaner/dirt. If any areas still need attention, go at it them again with p21s, but this is a fantastic cleaner and likely you will not need to go at it again. Then let the engine sit for a few hours and let it air dry. If you have a blower, you can "blow dry" it and wipe up any excess water with a rag. Then once everything is dry, give it a nice coating of cd2. If there is any excess cd2, just blot it up with a rag.

Follow these instructions and your engine bay will be brand spanking new. Don't neglect the underside of the hood

Quick Reply: How do you clean Engine bay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands