S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

I finally had time to detail my car!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finally had time to detail my car!

NOTE: The point of this thread is for feedback on my technique so that I can clean my car even more efficiently than present.

As soon as class finished, I rushed home to get everything set up for detailing the car. The car doesn't have much dirt and grime because I normally wash it around 1 - 2 times a week (Sebring Silver is easy to clean too!). My process involved doing the following:

12:30p = Wash the car with foam gun and Adam's Car Wash, dried with leaf blower and wiped off any other contaminants with an Uber MF towel.

1:00p = Clay the car with Meguiar's Clay Bar (did this yesterday, but decided to do it again for the hell of it).

2:00p = Get rid of some scuff marks with Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 and an applicator pad.

2:30p = Started taping the car up for polishing

3:00p = Started with 7424 with green polishing pad from DDomain, used Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish... Attempted to run it at 3 after spreading with an applicator pad, then bumped it to 5. I kept it at 3-4 for the rest of the time because it splattered all over the ragtop (if it were red, it'd be gory). Not sure why it happened because I spread the polish before using the PC.

4:30p = Used Meguiars Carnauba Wax with 1 coat; I would have done multiple coats but it was dark after 5:30p. Had to use my UV light to finish the hood and bumper. Funny story about that ... My neighbor was calling the cops because he thought I was trying to steal my own car (was wearing a hoodie to keep away the mosquitoes), ended up telling him I was washing the car lol.

-- TO BE CONTINUED

I still have to apply treatment to the rubber trim on the exterior, clean the ragtop, and do the interior. Part II will involve me completely cleaning out the interior (taking out seats and possible steam cleaning?) and trying to get rid of a stain on the dashboard.

On to the pictures !!!

Part 2 will include the interior pics rawr.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice work so far. my favorite s2k color

next time you polish the car, find a couple old bed sheets and drape them over the softtop and windshield, so if polish slings off, you dont have to clean it off the top.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:30 PM

True, I will be doing that the next time definitely!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:46 AM

Sounds like you are having fun with your detailing. The car looks great!

Deep Crystal Polish is what Meguiar's calls a "pure polish" and what everyone else calls a glaze. It adds a touch of oily wetness. It does not correct the paint; it neither cleans nor smooths the paint surface. If you use a dual action polisher to apply it, you would normally use a finishing pad at speed 3. It can also be applied by hand, which is probably the method most people use. In either case, rub it into a section and then immediately remove. Do not allow it to dry.

If you want to remove light swirls, smooth the paint surface, and heighten the gloss, consider adding Meguiar's SwirlX to your product collection. Meguiar's calls SwirlX a cleaner/polish. Use your dual action polisher and polishing pad at speed 5. Work small sections at a time and remove the polish immediately. If you need additional correction, also get a bottle of Ultimate Compound, which is very user friendly (much easier, say, than M105, though not as much corrective power). After you have polished the car, you can then apply the Deep Crystal Polish, if you desire, and then finish up with your wax.

Have fun!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by akimel,Nov 19 2009, 08:46 AM
Sounds like you are having fun with your detailing. The car looks great!

Deep Crystal Polish is what Meguiar's calls a "pure polish" and what everyone else calls a glaze. It adds a touch of oily wetness. It does not correct the paint; it neither cleans nor smooths the paint surface. If you use a dual action polisher to apply it, you would normally use a finishing pad at speed 3. It can also be applied by hand, which is probably the method most people use. In either case, rub it into a section and then immediately remove. Do not allow it to dry.

If you want to remove light swirls, smooth the paint surface, and heighten the gloss, consider adding Meguiar's SwirlX to your product collection. Meguiar's calls SwirlX a cleaner/polish. Use your dual action polisher and polishing pad at speed 5. Work small sections at a time and remove the polish immediately. After you have polished the car, you can then apply the Deep Crystal Polish, if you desire, and then finish up with your wax.

Have fun!

I think the biggest hole in your process is that you lack a true polish. The bottle Megs labels as "polish" in their DC kit is actually a glaze. I believe one of the other bottles is a paint cleaner and that's not going to get you much in the way of correction. Using Scratch X 2.0 on your PC will improve results, but it's a pretty mild polish.

The biggest thing you can do to improve is to pickup some real polishes. You seem to like Meguiar's products so I'd recommend you look at a bottle of 105 & also 205. You'll need both. 105/205 combo is pretty popular right now among detailing enthusiasts but you could also consider old stand by's like Menzerna, Poorboy's, Optimum, etc. If you're having trouble choosing just read some threads here and other detailing forums like Autopia to see what others have to say.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the polish splatter on your top. Many detailers after polishing (but before waxing) will re-wash their car to remove polish dust and splatter. Just do your Ragg Top cleaning at this point and then after you dry put on some top protectant.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback/help. I was pretty frustrated when the polish wasn't doing too much in terms of putting the shine on the car. My main objective was to get rid of some light scratches and swirls using the scratch X, get used to polishing the car, and then using a wax to protect it.

I am getting some interior vinyl cleaner for a blemish on my dash that I REALLY need to take care of, so I'm taking that opportunity to go and get some nice polish and wax for my next detail (probably going to re-polish the car with a true polish next month and add some wax) along with some mods I'd like to get on the car (coilovers and exhaust, maybe even volks).

I used Meguiar's primarily because it was the only source of polish/wax that I could find locally that was available and reliable. My next setup will probably be Pinnacle XMT, Menzerna, and some Zaino to top it off. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the results and the experience I've learned.

One other question I wanted to ask was about cleaning anodized wheels, are there any special process to cleaning them? Are there chemicals that I should avoid?

Thanks again!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

any idea why you skipped the step 1 paint cleaner in the 3 step system ?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:07 AM

I didn't use the paint cleaner because I tried it in a small area and it didn't do as well of a job as the clay and swirl X 2.0 did. Not worth it to use if it doesn't provide as good of results as the other step I used instead mirite?

EDIT: Plus the paint cleaner basically did the same thing as what the clay did, so it's essentially claybar-in-a-bottle.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

i guess so. I have only used the paint cleaner on the black paint, have no experience with the claybar which doesnt do anything for swirls correct unless its caused by embedded dirt. swirlx i hear great things about, must have missed that in your posting.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Benihana,Nov 19 2009, 12:11 PM
One other question I wanted to ask was about cleaning anodized wheels, are there any special process to cleaning them? Are there chemicals that I should avoid?
Aviod acid based wheel cleaners. I would use something safe for all finishes like P21S. Once I get wheels nice & clean using a wheel cleaner I seal them with a sealant and then I maintain them with just car wash soap & water.

Quick Reply: I finally had time to detail my car!