S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Microfibers...what's in a name?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=MikeyC,Feb 8 2007, 12:57 PM]White I find shows almost nothing.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White does stay cleaner looking longer than any other color.....but it's kinda boring to look at...IMO
Old 02-08-2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by bigpurp,Feb 8 2007, 01:44 PM
Boy r we a sick bunch. Only in this forum would u hear someone complain b/c a car is too easy to keep clean!
My complaint is not really that it's easy to keep clean. I think Flish covered it best when he said white's "boring." It never looks really clean and it never looks really dirty. It's just . . . boring.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally, use the ones I get from BJs. I use them once, and chuck them. Its 12 bucks for 48 of them, usually last me about 3-4 months. Using a brand new towel everytime, takes the durability out of the equasion.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:39 AM

I just got a new MF towel that I am amazed by, and it really illustrates the difference between different types/brands. It is sold through BMW dealers and is part of their original color series. It is called 200 count, or something like that. White with black edges. Okay, stay with me hear. I saw a demo that one of their reps did that illustrated how good these are. When they are dry, they pick up everything and are so soft that I am considering using it to wash my junk in the shower, they also have a bit of anti-static effect on plastic.

When it is wet, it will clean anything, and I mean anything. I have started using it to clean my wife's interior. She has an E350 with the light tan and the leather shows it all. When the towel is damp, it cleans the seats perfectly with just a wipe. The representative who showed these to me took a newly primered fender and poured motor oil all over it. Then he took the damp MF towel, no chemicals at all, and just wiped the oil off. We then painted the panel and it didnt fisheye at all! And we layed the paint on thick. Awesome towel. Sorry for the infomercial, and for the record, I work for a competing car company, so I have nothing to gain by vouching for this. I recommend getting one. Nice towel.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 AM

The only microfiber towel I use is big blue, after washing I take the nozzle off the hose and run water over the car. 90% of the water runs off that way and blue does the rest. I wax with soft bath towels, cut off the ends so there is nothing to scratch with. Are they bad to wax with?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn man... my detailing expenses get bigger and bigger everytime i go on the w&w forums... lol!
Old 02-10-2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jay2000,Feb 9 2007, 02:35 PM
The only microfiber towel I use is big blue, after washing I take the nozzle off the hose and run water over the car. 90% of the water runs off that way and blue does the rest. I wax with soft bath towels, cut off the ends so there is nothing to scratch with. Are they bad to wax with?
Here's a really great article about microfiber from Autopia . . .

http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=44

Towards the end there is a picture of a painted panel. One side was rubbed with a soft cotton towel and the other side a microfiber towel. I think the picture answers your question.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:12 AM

Thanks, a great article on the differences. I guess it is off to the microfiber store. The article does not say whether they were used for drying or waxing though. I guess it really would not make a difference.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm embarrassed to say I've been using cheap towels on my car. Both MF and WW. That would probably explain why my swirls keep coming back. No worries though. As soon as the temperature hits 50 again I'll be ordering a whole rack of new detailing products, towels included. The Cobra's look like a promising MF for QD and buffing. How many do you think I'll need? As for the WW, although I've heard a lot about Big Blue, I've never seen it in action. I HAVE however, seen the Sonus Der Wunder Towel in action and I must say, it was AMAZING. Even without sheeting water off of the car, the owner (AnimeS2k) simply laid the towel on the hood and slid it off. NOT A DROP WAS LEFT. I never knew that was physically possible.