S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

My next wash

Old 07-15-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default My next wash

I am going to try out some new gear (for me) at my next bucket wash
I'll be using 3 buckets, all with Dirt Cyclone pads topped with two Grit Guards and washboards. A separate set of two buckets will be devoted to wheel and tire care.

My my thoughts are that combining the Dirt Cyclone and Grit Gaurd system will significantly reduced the dirt level in the wash suds buckets after rinsing in two rinse buckets.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post up some pictures of your setup. Would love to see how it looks
Old 07-17-2017, 06:01 PM

The Dirt Cyclone fits extremely tight into the bottom of a 5-gallon plastic bucket. Two Grit guards lay on top of that, with a Grit Guard Wash Board fastened to the top Grit Guard. The set up fills the bucket up a bit, with the top of the wash board coming up to the top of the bucket. If this doesn't work too well, I might try 6-gallon buckets next.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So you're going to have a total of 5 buckets?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 PM

Yes, a total of five (5) buckets. Three for the car (one suds and two rinse buckets) and two for the tires, wheels and wheel walls (one rinse and one suds). They will be marked so that I don't use any wheel bucket for car washing duty. I also bought snug fitting lids for each bucket and they stack neatly in one corner of the garage.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:26 PM

For those who are interested, I did use my 5-bucket system about a week ago. I'll never use any less number of buckets again. The first rinse bucket of my car wash set took the vast majority of the dirt off the wash mit, and I was surprised at how much dirt was collected in the second rinse bucket. The suds bucket was tons cleaner, but not 100% free of debris. Yet the dirt collected in the two rinse buckets kept a lot of dirt out of the suds.

I used only one rinse bucket for the wheel washing part and one suds bucket. These will remain wheel buckets. Rinsing the wheel woolie before dipping into the suds each time also eliminated a lot of dirt.

Next time I am going to try a foam gun added to the arsenal.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it's time for you to introduce a pressure washer to your car wash. It doesn't need to be a powerful pressure washer either. Those $80 electric unit will work fine. You can knock out majority of the dust off your paint and end up using WAY less water. I use 4 gallons total to wash my entire car. 1 gallon for initial rinsing, 2 gallons in a bucket for the wash mitt and 1 gallon to rinse off everything.

In addition, you can use a foam cannon instead of a foam gun (I have both, could care less for either one).
Old 09-30-2017, 08:34 PM

I have an unused foam thing (canon or gun?) that I'll try next time. My chemistry background taught me to triple rinse everything. Double rinsing really cuts down particulates in the suds bucket.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually go over my car with an electric pressure washer and a 25° nozzle( moving around and never dwelling on one spot for too long). I follow that up with a foam cannon using this awesome soap from Chemical Guys that smells really good and falls off by itself. If the car is dirty enough, I'll work the foam a tad with a wool or microfiber mitt. This 5 bucket idea seems interesting though, I may do a combination of the two.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:00 AM

I'm starting to shop for a pressure washer. I see such a wide variety out there from small unit under $50. to units of several hundreds. I've heard that high pressure washes are not good for the paint and could enlarge small rock chips . Are there any guidelines on recommended pressures and techniques, certain products to stay away from or ones with desirable features? I current have an adjustable spray nozzle on the hose. How much more pressure is recommended?
Buckets are relatively cheap, so I'm considering three rinse bucks and a foam bucket for the car and stay with the two buckets for the wheels and wheel wells.

Quick Reply: My next wash