S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Need Help

Old 12-30-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help

Hey Guys,
The other day I noticed there was some substance along the rocker panel from front to the rear of my wife's car. It looked like a clay mud, but when I washed the car, and it didn't want to come off I realized it was more like latex wall paint that must have managed to fall off a truck and spill then she drove through it
I got a little bit off with the meguiar's gold class shampoo and a wash mit, but I didn't feel comfortable having to scrub on it as hard as I did to have to get it off and besides that, my arm will fall off if I end up doing the whole car that way! I tried wd-40, vinegar, wax cleaner, detailing spray with no luck.
Any recomendations on what may work. I am not sure if it is too thick for clay or not. I have thought of trying bug and tar remove or possibly Goo Gone, but I am not sure how safe Goo Gone is on auto paint.
Thanks in advance for the replies
Old 12-30-2006, 08:16 AM

Try detailing clay. Removing paint overspray is pretty much what it was designed to do. If that doesn't work try a solvent like mineral spirits, goo gone, or bug & tar remover. If those don't work try polishing the area.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:27 AM

Wow,
Thanks for the quick response Mikey. I will give it a try later this afternoon and report back.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last resort- try rubbing compound. Downside here is removing clear coat along with some of the original paint.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JackS,Dec 30 2006, 01:40 PM
Last resort- try rubbing compound. Downside here is removing clear coat along with some of the original paint.
I wouldn't touch the stuff you can find in your local auto parts store labelled "rubbing compound" (except for the 3M one). It's really abrasive and when I was first getting into detailing I did some damage to a couple of cars with it.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

moonsurfer-
just how much is there?
is it thick?

as mikeyc said, clay was designed for paint overspray - so if its light then clay will get it. if its thick, clay will have a harder time getting it-
got pics?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clay is your friend
Old 12-31-2006, 07:36 AM

Well I didn't get a chance to get to it yesterday, so today is looking to be the day to get things done. I snapped a couple of pics for you Wanabe, hope this helps.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you sure thats paint? couldnt blow it up to look more closely-

if its paint, then clay is gonna get most of it if not all of it.

couple of hints: this could take more than one clay bar-
wash it again- then when you are ready to clay- keep turning the clay as you work the areas and go front to back only. be prepared to throw away the clay when you can see that it is getting well used (full of paint). i would use a "creeper" or some low seat (gonna take some time and your back will thank you for a low seat!)-
mist the area first with a detail spray and let it sit a couple of minutes before you clay it- btw, after you wash it you dont need to dry it... you can go straight to spray and clay!

as with any process, i would first just do a small area- pick a low area with minimal splatter first and try it there. if it doesnt work, post back and we will give you the next choice.
in fact, post back no matter what!!
if it does work i wanna see more pics!

good luck!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the info Wanabe. I am pretty sure it is latex wall paint because it is pretty thick and you can remove small amounts with your thumbnail.
I am going to get to it right after I finish my breakfast. Hopefully it will warm up a little more today!

Quick Reply: Need Help