S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

The Plastic Window Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to try the boiling water thing, but like a previous post, I am nervous that it might damage the rest of the top. Personally I have used a product called Blue Magic Clear Plastic cleaner. I got it from Kmart and have used it since I got my car. The only caution I have is that you dont get it on the black part of your top--it will stain. I have had good luck with it, but I am planning on getting plexus since the blue magic seems to stain. I too have used metal polish on the rear window--it doesnt get rid of scratches, but it will protect it. I used the Blue Magic Metal Polish. The label says it is safe on plastic.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:26 AM

Another method I have used to reduce the wrinkles is a steamer for clothing. You have to be VERY careful with this but if used correctly it will do a good job.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:46 PM

Hell, after almost 5 years of fighting with it I have pretty much decided that the window is there just to keep the rain out!!!!!! Besides, I hardly ever drive with the top up anyways!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 03:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spryguy,Jul 23 2004, 02:46 PM
Hell, after almost 5 years of fighting with it I have pretty much decided that the window is there just to keep the rain out!!!!!! Besides, I hardly ever drive with the top up anyways!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 04:14 PM

FWIW, I recently helped a guy with the plastic back window of his Z3. It was an older car and pretty-much scratched a hazy. I used my PC, an orange pad and einszett Paint Polish. There was still a little bit of scratching laft at the crease, but other than that, it looked like new.

Just another option for those of you at your wits end.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:24 PM

So you can use a PC. I've been wondering that for awhile. My window is in good condition right now but it still has some light scratches where it used to be creased. I might have to try the PC. I wonder if you could use a plastic polish with it???
Old 07-25-2004, 06:13 AM

I picked up my 2K S2K in July 2004 with a window that was creased and with that center pattern of scratches the window gets. I used CRL polish / cleaner inside and out to first clean up everything using two rags to wipe off and got very clear results. But I wasn't done I boiled some water in a tea kettle and went out to the car and slowly poured it down and across the whole window, you see it soften and can see the difference. At this point you must let the window cool off. I did this at the end of the day and let it sit over night, and then cleaned and polished it once more in the morning. Looked great! I got a complement saying " Is that window new, did you have to replace it" and I said no just spent some time taking care of it.
So I have used the hot water trick a few times to help relax the window and use less than a quart at a time. Remember by the time you get to the car the water isn't boiling any more and as you pour it slowly across/moving it's cooling off just don't keep pouring it in one place and there won't be any problems. I don't even put down any towels because it doesn't splash.
Now I'm looking for a daily /weekly cleaner.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2004, 03:36 PM

Buy the way you can go to this Honda Service Bulletin # 00-037 below on how to clean the window. It helped me!

https://www.s2ki.com/home/index.php?option=...id=46&Itemid=41
Old 07-28-2004, 08:03 PM

I just ordered a plastic polish from ebay called KOALA. It was successfull in removing my fine scratches and hazing. Rub it on and wipe it off that easy. $18.00 for produce including shipping.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=drpeepers,Jul 20 2004, 10:06 AM]
Use a chrome/metal polish.

Quick Reply: The Plastic Window Thread