S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Soft-Top Care (Aftermaket)

Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft-Top Care (Aftermaket)

I don't see a thread for aftermarket soft top care.

Lets all share what we use to keep soft top clean and protected from damage and fading !
Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Aftermarket is a vague term. Either way, you take care of it the same way you would for any other top. If it's vinyl, you use the stuff for vinyl. If it's cloth, you use the other stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TapwHkRLBI
Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we're supposed to be sharing, what do you use? I missed that when I read your post.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 AM

Received 3,481 Likes on 2,503 Posts

The only stuff I'll use is Raggtop vinyl cleaner and protectant kit on my S2000 top. My top looks like new after ten years, the previous owner used it and I've continued using it. Some guys use 303 Aerospace which is a good product but it can tend to run off in the rain, Raggtop tends to bead water from what I've seen on my car.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 AM

I used the vinyl Aerospace 303 for my top. Like Jfusion said it can run off in the rain, but from my experience heavy rain causes the run off. Either one works great though. My top has zero signs of wear, fade, or tears.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
The only stuff I'll use is Raggtop vinyl cleaner and protectant kit on my S2000 top. My top looks like new after ten years, the previous owner used it and I've continued using it. Some guys use 303 Aerospace which is a good product but it can tend to run off in the rain, Raggtop tends to bead water from what I've seen on my car.
The top on my '09 seemed to be a bit faded. I could tell the last owner didn't use any type of protectant. I used some Raggtop I bought about 5 years ago, but didn't seem to do anything. Does this stuff have a short shelf life?

I ended up picking up some 303, and it made the top look great.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
Since we're supposed to be sharing, what do you use? I missed that when I read your post.
I'll let you know if I get an aftermarket top.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fezzz

Lets all share what we use to keep soft top clean and protected from damage and fading !
You're not looking at all then. There are countless threads recommending 303 and Raggtopp. Both are excellent choices.

Originally Posted by FISH22
The top on my '09 seemed to be a bit faded. I could tell the last owner didn't use any type of protectant. I used some Raggtop I bought about 5 years ago, but didn't seem to do anything. Does this stuff have a short shelf life?

Neither product is designed to address fading. Those products are for cleaning and protection. If you want to undo fading you'll need to look into an appropriate product.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 3,481 Likes on 2,503 Posts

Originally Posted by takeshi
Originally Posted by Fezzz' timestamp='1354119444' post='22176843

You're not looking at all then. There are countless threads recommending 303 and Raggtopp. Both are excellent choices.

Originally Posted by FISH22

Neither product is designed to address fading. Those products are for cleaning and protection. If you want to undo fading you'll need to look into an appropriate product.

^ as he said. Some products may give you more of a wet look but that is usually short lived. Raggtop definitely doesn't change the appearance of the top , it will just give you a clean look and offer good protection against the elements. A faded top will still look faded with this product.

I know someone that used Back to Black fom Mothers, and they liked the look of the top with that product, I don't think it protects much but it might give you a better appearance. If you like the look of 303 keep using it, it is a great product but you might just have to apply it more often ?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM

I know 303 has a UV blocker so that will help slow down fading over a long period of time. I'm sure raggtopp has UV protection as well. You have to be proactive and keep up on it. I clean and protect my top about once a month, but my s2k is not a daily so YMMV.

Quick Reply: Soft-Top Care (Aftermaket)