S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Softening the leather

Old 02-13-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Softening the leather

So I noticed something strang in my second s2k. The passenger seat bottom (where your butt goes) is still almost dried out feeling. What product would work best to soften the leather up?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many will say Lexol conditioner. I've actually never used it so I will can not comment. I have a Harley shop local to me and their leather conditioner works really well for me. It is a thick gel that sticks to the seat and penetrates; then you just buff it off. Chemical Guys leather conditioner will probably be on my next cleaning product order.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:15 AM

My understanding, based on what I've read here and on other forums, is the only thing that our processed leather of our seats needs is periodic hydration. This is why many leather "experts" (I put the word in quotations because I honestly do not know who on the internet really knows what they are talking about when it comes to leather) recommend water-based products like Leather Masters. You might try taking a damp cloth (damp not really wet, because you don't want to over-hydrate the leather) and start wiping down your seats and then drying them on a regular basis. You hopefully you will see some softening over time. You can also always try one of the leather conditioners out there. These conditioners are often oil-based, which is bad according to the water-based guys; but others say they have had good luck with them. The Leatherique products often get mentioned here, but I've never tried them. Detailers Domains sells the Leather Masters line, and that's what I use. We used to have a guy on this forum who worked for a leather company, whose name I now forget. He used to answer our leather questions, e.g.: leather thread.

Also check out this Autopia thread on leather care.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Proper leather care is the answer (don't overlook existing threads). +1 for Leather Master.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I too have found that the passenger seat bottom dries out , I've seen it on two sets of seats - the original set on my car and used set that I purchased.

Start with a good cleaning using a good cleaning product, Lexol has a good cleaning product. Then it comes down to getting the leather good and treated, you will find that it can soften up after a good number of treatments, let the product sit and soak in as much as possible. The leather on these cars is so finished and heavily coated, I think it gets best treated by absorbing through the perforations, you don't get much absorbing right through the leather as it is so heavily coated. I'm using a combination of Lexol, and Meguiars, I did one treatment of leatherique as well. Mine has softened up quite a bit, it will never be as smooth as my driver seat is in terms of feel but it has softened up quite a bit. I like to use Meguiars as a finish coat because it has some UV protection in it.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i saturate mine with a leather product and allow it to sit overnight with a nice amount on the seats. The excess I wipe off the following morning. The stuff I use is from "the Protector" and is a bit thick, about the consistancy of a 15W oil so it does stay on the surface pretty well
Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seat is like cardboard
Old 02-14-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by macdaddies911
The seat is like cardboard
salt from human sweat is a big culprit as it dries out leather, cleaning and treating is all you can do to help improve it.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 PM

It has been mentioned but not firmly said. There is almost nothing out there that will make your leather soft in one application. You will have to work at it!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Steam clean it and use leather shampoo or just gentle hand cleaner with a foam applicator pad. It lifts out the dirt and hidrates the leather. Just dont burn the leather.

If someone is against my method, speak up. Id like to know why and if it's a bad idea. It worked magic on my leather couch.

Quick Reply: Softening the leather