S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Speed Shine Every Day or Not?

Old 10-12-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks everyone. I had thought that the point of QD spray and a good microfiber cloth was the answer to keeping her clean between washes. Most of my driveway is tree covered, so I have to deal with leaves, twigs, dirt on the concrete, and "stuff" in the air when she's not tucked into the garage. It looks like I'll be looking for a large (portable?) awning or tent-type cover to keep unwanted debris off while I do a weekly wash and for detailing jobs. .

So I am to use the QD for spraying down the car to dry it after a water wash, and live with the daily dust build up between washes? I"ve have used California Dusters and others on previous cars, but too many guys wincing at the thought of daily scratching the paint warned me away. I thought the liquid in the QD would be enough to lift daily dust off.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea the BEST thing you can do is get out from under trees. Even if there sometimes looks like nothing is going on, generally when I parked under trees and went to clean the car you can see tiny sap or some "excretion" from the trees on the paint. And that stuff can't possibly be good.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you're OCD about your car I suggest you pay a visit to the AMMONYC channel on youtube, the guy is a incredible detailer and I learned tons from his videos.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:17 AM

Received 211 Likes on 173 Posts

A car parked out in the open will stay much cleaner than a car parked under a tree on any given day. Parking under a tree is the worst place you can park if you want to keep debris off your car. I recently saw a '60s era Thunderbird that was parked under a tree. Apparently for some time. Leaves, bird droppings, dust and dirt all fall from a tree directly onto your car.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 AM

You could also check out Griot's http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...h+35+ounces.do I've never used this particular product. But I have used a lot of their other detailing products, great products in my opinion. I believe they also sell a specific Micro Fiber towels for use with the above product.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:54 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

As it turns out, I did order some Griot's Waterless Wash, but have not used it yet. If you have knowledge and experience with waterless washes vs quick detail, I'd like to hear of your experiences. How do they differ and could I use one product daily or every few days, if I miss one or two cleans?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Wish I had more info on the waterless car wash stuff for you. Maybe you could try it on your dd or the wife's car to test it out.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it bothers you that much, you might try putting a dust cover on the S. It's not in anyway going to be a full solution to your problem, but I will lessen the film it.

Don't put a dust cover on a car that already has dust on it, you will get all kinds of unwanted swirls.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Since I live in AZ I can relate. I used to daily drive my 2004 and here are some quick tips.

First, having a properly detailed car is key. Meaning have a good solid coat of wax or sealant on the car. I recommend sealant as it lasts longer. If you do not have proper protection then you will def scratch the paint, not to mention wiping dust off the car will be rougher. If you have a good coat of wax/sealant the dust and microfiber can just glide across the surface.

I typically would use the Griot's Speed Shine once a week to gently wipe the dust off the car. Fold the towel so that you have 8 separate surfaces. Start on the top surfaces first and gently work in one direction with the microfiber. Check the towel after each pass for a buildup of dust dirt and if there are any chunks or bugs. If so shake the towel, or flip to another surface. I find you can do the hood, tops of the fenders, and maybe the hardtop with one surface. I save the sides of the car, area around fenders, and rear bumper for last as they are the dirtiest. I am also the gentlest in those areas as they have the most dirt and grim. If the car is really dusty another method is to wipe the whole car down with Speedshine going in one direction and focusing only on removing the dust. Then grab a clean towel and go back over the entire car and put more emphasis on applying the speedshine. I do this often.

If I drove the car at night or had a thicker buildup of dust, and or any bugs I would go straight to the Waterless Car Wash, followed by Speed shine. Sometimes I will waterless wash the front end of the car, and then go back and speed shine the entire car.

Everyday seems like overkill and you are def going to scratch the paint by doing it that frequently. I would aim for once a week, or get a very very nice duster and gently remove dust each morning if you must. Again, the most important thing is to have a good base of wax/sealant. Otherwise you are just damaging the car and making life more difficult.

AZ is an extremely dusty place so no matter what the car will get covered quickly .
Old 10-26-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Fellow OCDer here. I understand the need. So, here's what I've found that works . . . .

Full disclosure: I have a garage and that makes a HUGE difference !

A california duster is a big help but you must use it properly - lightly pass it over the surface. Never drag it. That's when you get the micro scratches.

Good Microfiber towels are important. Invest in the plush ones. You'll have to order on line. I only see the cheapos at auto parts retailers.

Use any good QD like Griot's, PoorBoys, Duragloss, Adam's, etc. There's a bunch out there. Autogeek.net is a good supplier.

However, what I really like are Poorboys Spray n Gloss (green color) and Griot's Spray - On Wax. ((yellowish color). They smell great too!

They're heavier than a QD (which is usually watery) Plus they leave a very slick surface. To me they seem to prevent micro scratching when using a MF cloth.

And, hey, if you feel like tending to your car every day. Go ahead. It's therapy !!!

Quick Reply: Speed Shine Every Day or Not?