S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

STOP buying those TIRE DETAILS products!

Old 03-29-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Ubetit,Mar 29 2006, 01:11 PM] Oil is contaminated with all sorts of chemical compounds from the combustion process, metals from wear inside the engine and other external contaminants.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:42 PM

I agree with Ubetit. I don't think this is a very good idea at all. I know the original poster is just relaying information he was given, but he stated in another thread that he's never even waxed a car before. I'm not trying to put him down in any way, because we are all newbies at some point. Before I found out the correct way of doing things I certainly made some mistakes.

A lot of tire dressings protect against UV rays which can break down rubber and dry it out. I use 303 and sometimes vinylex, which block these UV rays.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:48 PM

^ what does "never have waxed a car" have to do with "tire dressing?". Just bcuz I have never wax a car doesn't mean I know nothing of dressing up a tire. I think some of you are getting very technical with this. Your car tires normally is in contact with all kinds of "contaminants" through daily driving. Protecting your tires against "UV rays?", are you serious? Most tires on a daily driving car won't even last 3 years.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Mar 29 2006, 01:11 PM
This thread should be deleted.
I'm glad you're not a MOD, otherwise no one can post anything if you're not in agreement.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:15 PM

Alot of drivers will never use any form of tyre dressing and will never suffer the effects of UV rays.. i have a get around car that has tyres on it that are over 10 years old and they are still fine!

I'm not taking anyones side on this issue.. but everyone that is saying it wont work because of this or that have no evidence.. Tyres are tough and i'm sure that rubbing oil onto them will cause them to stuff up. i'm willing to give anything a go then pass my judgement then.

KERO has voiced his opinion and taken the time to share something he has come across. It isn't something that we know 100% is wrong so we should atleast give him the respect that is deserved.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:45 PM

Well, I'm going to try it on my wife's 1997 Ford taurus, Of course, she said I could. I let her read the posts in this forum and she couldn't believe some of the responses. As for UV and tires, the way I drive my car, I go through a set of rear tires every year and the front tires last about 2 years. If this thread is still open and people are still reading it, I'll put in my two cents on how the used oil works on the wife's tires.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by KERO,Mar 29 2006, 04:33 PM
Tell me this, HOW THE HELL you would have such a strong of an opinion when you haven't yet to try it?
Some things you don't have to try to know they are wrong or stupid.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:47 PM

The said Columbus was wrong and stupid when he said the world was round.

Can't we all just get along?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kens_s2000,Mar 30 2006, 09:47 AM
The said Columbus was wrong and stupid when he said the world was round.
Good call.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by dbzerk,Mar 29 2006, 02:15 PM
Alot of drivers will never use any form of tyre dressing and will never suffer the effects of UV rays.. i have a get around car that has tyres on it that are over 10 years old and they are still fine!

I'm not taking anyones side on this issue.. but everyone that is saying it wont work because of this or that have no evidence.. Tyres are tough and i'm sure that rubbing oil onto them will cause them to stuff up. i'm willing to give anything a go then pass my judgement then.

KERO has voiced his opinion and taken the time to share something he has come across. It isn't something that we know 100% is wrong so we should atleast give him the respect that is deserved.
I appreciate that. In all seriousness, I don't know why "Ubetit" is trying to "kill the messenger".

Ken_S2000, when you stated "my wife couldn't believe some of the responses"..that's exactly what my wife and I said. ..Geezus...just try'n to share a useful tip.

Quick Reply: STOP buying those TIRE DETAILS products!