S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Time for some new microfibers & wash mitt

Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Time for some new microfibers & wash mitt

My current microfibers are starting to leave some very fine swirls in the paint. Not sure if it's coming from my wash mitt or drying microfiber. Either way, I figured it would be best just to replace everything to play it safe. The stuff I have right now is all Cobra stuff, and probably all a couple years old. Yeah, they're probably way too old and dried out, which is why I'm experiencing this.

Any advice for some good mitts and microfibers out there? I feel like I can spend hours on Autogeek and DD looking at different ones, and never make up my mind.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:02 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Grout sponge for washing the car. Super cheap and replaceable. Problem with microfiber mitts or a lot of them in general is they don't let go of stuff they pick up very well. The sponge lets go of it all real easily. I'll use a mitt on wheels but for those I don't give a crap.

I love my waffle weave dry towel but they are only good for so long. I've got one for the s2000 and one for everything else. I'd just get a new one and save the old one for door jams or wheels or under the hood. And if you're that inclined to throw them away just give them to me.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we usually make it a rule to cycle our towels after 4-5 uses on the paint then we move it to jambs and eventually all the way down to tires and exhaust and then throw them out.
as for washing many love our Uber Wash Sponges.

Take a look at our Microfiber Deals
Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM

If you're going to follow the advice above, I would probably recommend buying a big pack on Amazon for around that same price or cheaper. Usually a 36-pack. I bought a big pack of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Microfiber-Pre...rofiber+towels

They're actually pretty good and like DD said, after a few uses, demote them to dirtier jobs. Although, I feel like I can get a lot more than 4-5 uses out of a single towel if just using it for drying a clean car.

I also got a 3-pack of these for detailing (wiping off wax or polish):

http://www.amazon.com/Eurow-Microfib...rofiber+towels

They are UNBELIEVABLY soft. Seriously. I wish I had a blanked made out of them. SOOO easy on paint. I know they're cheaper, but I like them a lot, and I'm a Berlina owner so decent towels matter.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 1,613 Likes on 960 Posts

Costco. $14 for a big pack of yellow ones. 36 of 16X16" towels. They work great. Wash em or chuck em. Your choice. Cheap.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Costco. $14 for a big pack of yellow ones. 36 of 16X16" towels. They work great. Wash em or chuck em. Your choice. Cheap.
I have tons of these. I wash them. When they look bad or unusable for my S, I put them on normal household duty.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Buy a leaf blower, that way you can remove 95% of the moisture without even touching the car. The remaining 5% can easily be picked up with one small towel, and no worry about scratches or swirls. The blower works great for getting all the water that tends to drip/run after you think it's dry, like the license plate area, mirrors and gas flap.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Buy a leaf blower, that way you can remove 95% of the moisture without even touching the car. The remaining 5% can easily be picked up with one small towel, and no worry about scratches or swirls. The blower works great for getting all the water that tends to drip/run after you think it's dry, like the license plate area, mirrors and gas flap.
I agree with this 1,000%. I love the look I get from neighbors when I'm blow drying my car Seriously, like VP said, it's great for getting all the water in the crevices. I'll dry it with the leaf blower then take a nice soft MF towel and use some detailing spray on the rest of the car. It's a very gentle way of drying it, which what we need to aim for.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redwing497
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point' timestamp='1372334110' post='22633657
I agree with this 1,000%. I love the look I get from neighbors when I'm blow drying my car Seriously, like VP said, it's great for getting all the water in the crevices. I'll dry it with the leaf blower then take a nice soft MF towel and use some detailing spray on the rest of the car. It's a very gentle way of drying it, which what we need to aim for.
Are you guys using Electric or Gas? Which Brand and Model you using?

Quick Reply: Time for some new microfibers & wash mitt