S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Wash and Wax this weekend

Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wash and Wax this weekend

So, I just bought my S2K last weekend and am going to give her a full on detail this weekend. Going to hit up the store for my first orbital buffer, some wax, and all the other great odds and ends that go with a full detail. I have a few questions to ask in regards to the S2K if you all don't mind giving me a bit of advice here. I'd be much appreciative.

1.) What is a good wax to go with for the S? I've hear Maguiers Ultimate Liquid Wax, Mothers, and a few others. So many choices to pick from.

2.) For the interior I'll probably go with something like Armor All Super Protectant unless someone could recommend something better for the dash and doors and such.

3.) For the seats I plan to pick up some Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. Heard they were real good. Any other recommendations in this area?

4.) My S has that clear chip protector material applied all over the front and partway up the hood and fenders. Is it ok to wax and buff that material? Never had it on a car before.

5.) I've searched for cleaning tips for the soft top, and it seems no one can agree on methods. It appears that the definitive answer to the material is that it is vinyl. Does that just need a good soapy wash and rinse, or does it need a special cleaner/protectant?

Sorry for the long windedness, just want to make sure I do everything right with mah new girl.

Joe
Old 05-25-2012, 01:14 PM

Get out of the parts store and get online to buy. Don't waste your time with the slippery slidy armor all that cracks the dash and makes it look like a wet mirror. Interior should be flat.

Over the counter buffer is a waste of money. You'll need at least a porter cable/ griots garage buffer to make head way with imperfections. But, just enjoy the car right now and clean it, wax it for protection, and drive it!

The Meguiars liquid/paste is supposedly not that bad, but I'll take my klasse sealant.

For the interior I would just use the lexol cleaner and then use the conditioner on the doors and seats.

For the soft top, just use soap and water then order 303 or raggtop.

Make sure you're using a decent car wash soap. You can wax the 3m clear bra. If you buff it you'll buff it off.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the insight on all this importkid. So as far as waxing it goes, should I just do hand waxing and polishing for now?
Old 05-25-2012, 02:05 PM

Depends on your definition of polishing. To most of us in this section of the forum that means breaking out the machine and removing swirls, light scratches, and finishing the paint back to as close to factory level as possible. If that is polishing to you then you will get almost nothing done by hand. If your def. of polishing is cleaning the car, waxing it, and generally making it look better; then yes, hand application would be best until you do research and take the plunge for a machine to do all the work for you.

As far as applying wax goes, hand would probably be your best bet at this point. I wouldn't spend 20-40 bucks on one of those machines available at most retailers. Waxing a car this small is a 30-45 minute job if you're super picky.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with importkid about buying online, but there are some good Meguiar's products (e.g. M105, M205, Plast-x, Ultimate...) that are available in auto parts stores.

I wouldn't use anything from Armor All.

And there's lots of good stuff here:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/221...-step-by-step/
Old 05-27-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by importkid
Get out of the parts store and get online to buy. Don't waste your time with the slippery slidy armor all that cracks the dash and makes it look like a wet mirror. Interior should be flat.

Over the counter buffer is a waste of money. You'll need at least a porter cable/ griots garage buffer to make head way with imperfections. But, just enjoy the car right now and clean it, wax it for protection, and drive it!

The Meguiars liquid/paste is supposedly not that bad, but I'll take my klasse sealant.

For the interior I would just use the lexol cleaner and then use the conditioner on the doors and seats.

For the soft top, just use soap and water then order 303 or raggtop.

Make sure you're using a decent car wash soap. You can wax the 3m clear bra. If you buff it you'll buff it off.
Armor all cracking dash and vinyl are all myths. Im sure whatever product your using has if not the same amount, more silicone than armor all . I personally don't use armor all, but im tired of people saying that bout them.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by dwight
I agree with importkid about buying online, but there are some good Meguiar's products (e.g. M105, M205, Plast-x, Ultimate...) that are available in auto parts stores.

I wouldn't use anything from Armor All.

And there's lots of good stuff here:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/221...-step-by-step/
I Have been using for my tires
Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Use 303 protectant, which has UV protectant. Armor All has none.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:56 PM

I imagine my response is too late for you. I hope the task went well for you and your S2K is looking gorgeous. Like you, I too have been detailing my car this weekend. I finish her up tomorrow.

1.) What is a good wax to go with for the S? I've hear Maguiers Ultimate Liquid Wax, Mothers, and a few others. So many choices to pick from.
I think you should consider purchasing a wax/sealant online. You just have better options. If you want a carnauba wax, then consider Victoria Concours Red or P21S 100%. If you want a synthetic sealant, consider Blackfire Wet Diamond or Menzerna Powerlock.

(2.) For the interior I'll probably go with something like Armor All Super Protectant unless someone could recommend something better for the dash and doors and such.
Instead of Armor All, which will give you a slicker look, I'd recommend Meguiar's Interior Quik Detailer. This will give you a matte finish, which I think looks better for our S2Ks. Another possibility is Meguiar's M40. 303 Protectant would work well, too, but then you have to use another product to clean the dash.

{3.) For the seats I plan to pick up some Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. Heard they were real good. Any other recommendations in this area?
I have been persuaded by what I have read on various online forums that it's best to use a water-based cleaner for a leather seats. I have Leather Master Strong Cleaner (available from Detailers Domain). Don't worry about using a leather conditioner. Car leather is processed and coated.

(
4.) My S has that clear chip protector material applied all over the front and partway up the hood and fenders. Is it ok to wax and buff that material? Never had it on a car before.
I don't know the answer for that question.

{
5.) I've searched for cleaning tips for the soft top, and it seems no one can agree on methods. It appears that the definitive answer to the material is that it is vinyl. Does that just need a good soapy wash and rinse, or does it need a special cleaner/protectant?
I use and recommend the RaggTopp Cleaner and Vinyl Protectant duo. I strongly prefer the Raggtopp Protectant over 303 Protectant. But others on this forum prefer 303. YMMV.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All covered in countless prior threads but why not reinvent the wheel again for the nth time? If you want yet more opinions then hit a car detailing forum like Autopia, etc.

Originally Posted by DJ Maestro
What is a good wax to go with for the S? I've hear Maguiers Ultimate Liquid Wax, Mothers, and a few others. So many choices to pick from.
Considered sealants? Keep in mind that "good" is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. Never assume that your preferences are universal. If you want suggestions on "good" products then be very specific and qualify exactly what you mean by good. What are you looking from a wax/sealant? What are your priorities? Budget? Etc?

For the interior I'll probably go with something like Armor All Super Protectant unless someone could recommend something better for the dash and doors and such.
303 is what I use. There are plenty of other good products to choose from as well.

For the seats I plan to pick up some Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. Heard they were real good. Any other recommendations in this area?
The Leather Masters line. Again, plenty of other good products to choose from as well.

I've searched for cleaning tips for the soft top, and it seems no one can agree on methods. It appears that the definitive answer to the material is that it is vinyl. Does that just need a good soapy wash and rinse, or does it need a special cleaner/protectant?
You'll never find 100% agreement on anything where preference is involved. You can use whatever car wash soap you want and a brush to clean. I use Raggtopp's cleaner and protectant. Again, there are plenty of other good products out there as well. Unless you intend to replace the top soon then definitely use a protectant.

Try reading this very subforum if you want suggestions. There are countless threads with suggestions in them and no revolutionary products have come out recently so you won't be missing the latest wash and wax stuff by reading them.

Quick Reply: Wash and Wax this weekend