S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Windshield Tape Removal (documented w/ pix)

Old 08-07-2002, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bad are the scratches. Would it really take an abrasive, or could they be Zaino'd out (filled rather than cut down)?
Old 08-07-2002, 12:20 PM

The other day somebody posted a link to the Honda site in Japan where you could download .PDF files of paper S2000's to cut and fold. See Paper S2000 anyone? One interesting thing to note is that the windshield frame on each sheet matches the body color. This implies that somebody in Japan thinks that the cars should not have the windshield tape.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mgirard
How bad are the scratches. Would it really take an abrasive, or could they be Zaino'd out (filled rather than cut down)?
The scratches are from a fine grade sandpaper and that is what they look like....sanding marks. Very noticeable and Zaino isn't going to remove them. The 3M Swirl Mark Remover is quite safe and it easily removed mine with just a few minutes of work. NO BIG DEAL. Absoultely not a reason to stop anyone from removing the tape from their car.

Bob
Old 04-01-2004, 09:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread, Chazmo.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks, purp.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:13 AM

after reading this thread, i just removed my windsheild tape off MY01 NFR. the tape came off pretty easy, and it defintly looks good w/ the top down or with my hardtop Onn, but i think with the softtop up, it lookd better with the tape. anyways i like it w/ the tape off, because either i have my top down or hardtop onn
Old 06-24-2005, 12:29 PM

Good job, blue... If you have before / after pix, that'd be cool if you'd post 'em. In any case, enjoy!
Old 06-24-2005, 12:55 PM

Blue
I removed mine yesterday MY04 Silverstone, had some issues with residue removal, I used ecotech cleaner/degreaser, (label says safe for all rubber and plastic) it softened the residue up enough that it balled up easily with a fingernail.
I had 2 small (quarter sized) sanded spots that buffed out easily with Pinnacle 'Paintwork cleansing lotion' (not even a polish technically), Honda used a VERY fine grit paper.
I could see where there had been a small paint bump or bubble under each scuff mark.
Not at all visible after buffing and waxing..

I think it looks great with the top down, maybe slightly funky with the top up, but I only put it up when it rains. (and then not always )

Another great free mod, courtesy of S2KI.. goes well with "Top up/down while rolling" and "MY04-05 Clutch slave cylinder delay removal" as my favorite freebies.
Something fun to do while I wait for my ARC and OPAK titanium engine bay parts to show up
Old 08-12-2005, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pulled the tape off today. Used a Heat Gun to soften the tape, in doing so I guess I heated the rubber seal too much and now it kinda sticks up a little......Hopefully I can set it in the sun and it will return to its usual form......if not about a 400.00 f*ck up on my part.

Moral of the story, don't use a heat gun.

But I think it does look 10x better top up or down.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:10 PM

NV, from what I've seen, that moulding (rubber seal) tends to buckle up on just about everyone over time. You might've caused it to happen with the heat guy, but I'll lay odds it would've happened anyway.

I'd ignore it. Maybe your dealer will fix it as good will.

Glad you like it without the tape!

Quick Reply: Windshield Tape Removal (documented w/ pix)