S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Winter storage

Old 09-03-2003, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter storage

I live in Michigan and realize that I will need to store my S2000 during the winter months. Does it matter how much gas is left in the gas tank during these months? Should I start it up periodically? If so, how often? Should I think about putting dry-gas in the tank?
Old 09-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Former Moderator

A full tank of gas is better. Unhook the battery or use a trickle charger. Don't start it up periodically unless you can drive it for 30 minutes to get it fully warm. Letting it run in a garage for 5 minutes does more damage than good.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont store cars, but do store a tractor over the winter-
i replace the plugs, oil, oil filter, gas filter, etc. and then add a fuel preservative (and run the engine to get the preservative in the carb/injectors). some put theirs on jacks for tire "dimple" avoidance- but i dont bother.
agree with ubetit's idea about using a trickle charger or battery disconnect.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:01 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Fill up the tank,change the oil and filter,jack it up,disconnect the battery,and don't start it up.
Of course wash and wax before storing it.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:25 PM

Hey, I live in Michigan too and this is what I did last year. No, I am not all about the theory of jacking the car up and putting chemicals in the tank. All I did was park it in the garage, and once a week I would start it up and let it run for about forty-five minutes. I would also turn the heater on full blast, to get the car hot enough for leather condition to work. This also makes your a/c pump work the whole time which IMO is a good thing when it has been sitting. You do want to condition your seats though because it is very dry in a Michigan winter. Before the forty-five minutes was up I would put the top down and then back up a couple of times. I started doing that about half way through because the first time I put it down it was really stiff and didn't want to go all the way down. I also pulled it back and fourth turning the wheels and kind of scooting from one side of the garage to the other and never parked it in the same position. I stored the car with about a half tank of gas and that was plenty to run it every week. I figured that in my weekly routine the car was getting enough of a work out to not know it was being stored. Come spring when I took it out on the roads it ran fine, except it seems like a really stiff ride compared to the winter beater.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:05 PM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

This is a Library subject too: https://www.s2ki.com/article/articleview/22/1/8/
Old 09-03-2003, 09:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

PM "OhioRacer". He has compiled an extensive list of "To Do's" on prepping a car for winter storage. He will be glad to email the list to you. This list was a result of consultation with many board members a year ago.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:27 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ex-eclipse
[B]Hey, I live in Michigan too and this is what I did last year.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:48 AM

Thanks for all the information. I am just learning about all this stuff so be patient. On the subject of either putting the car on jacks or inflating the tires greater than the recommended PSI to prevent flat spots during winter storage: If this is NOT done, do you risk damaging your wheels or putting undue stress on the tires if there are flat spots? Wouldn't the flat spots finally round-out as you drive the car? I am trying to understand the significance of doing this.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Merilee
[B]Thanks for all the information.

Quick Reply: Winter storage