S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Winter storage

Old 09-04-2003, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All great information! But I won't be using any of it My S is my daily driver, and I'll be driving it every day that I possible can. I will try not to get caught in the snow though. For snow days I'll take the Rav.

TJ
Old 09-05-2003, 02:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
Automotive ECU's can be suseptible to voltages that get too low.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Merilee
[B]

If I walk into a auto store asking for a "smart charger" and tell them what it is used for, they should know what I am talking about shouldn't they???
Old 09-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Banned

Thanks for the input, xviper. Sorry about putting the topic in this thread. Like I said, I'm new (1 month) and thought I'd better get a jump on winter maintenance. Great thread though!
Old 09-05-2003, 12:33 PM

Sucks to live in the cold blustery north
Old 09-05-2003, 02:42 PM

I would discourage anyone from bringing an automotive battery into their house. Some do it, but remember that it's full of a very caustic acid which can come out, especially if the battery is knocked over. And it can vent a highly flammable gas.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This caution is most wise.
I'm a little more of a risk taker when it comes to this. I would suggest that the battery be placed in a large solid plastic box (in case of getting knocked over - have you ever tried to kick over a full battery? It's HEAVY!). Although hydrogen is produced mostly during a charging cycle, it would be wise to not store it anywhere near the furnace or water heater (pilot light). However, that having been said, many of us have heated garages and a car that is used regularly in winter has more of a chance of building up hydrogen on the top layer than one that is stored for months. You are more likely to have an explosion in your heated garage from leaking gasoline than from venting hydrogen.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:20 AM
Banned

As an ex-Texan, I feel you in Austin about the cold. If my baby survives Isabel, I might move back down. Seems like a lot of work keeping these cars in tip top shape but I wouldn't trade my baby (2 months) for the world. Any tips for the heat?
Old 11-12-2007, 06:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Dug this one out from the realms of the archive..

I'm looking to purchase a battery tender this winter and was wondering which one to get.. there are tons listed on their site.
thanks!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't live in the extreme climate that you do but I think if it were me I'd consider an engine block heater and start the car a couple of times a week.
Reason- Allowing the car to sit for an extended period of time also allows for the possibility that valve cover gaskets become dry and brittle for lack of lube.
I'm experiencing this with my 91' Toyota that often sits for a week or two at a time which now has a leak. Live and learn.
Full tank of gas filled to the top of the neck allows only the diameter of the filler tube to be exposed to the elements and minimizes chances of moisture and other contaminants.
Battery maintanance as already mentioned.
Tires slightly off the ground.
Finish covered with a heavy coat of wax and left unbuffed.
Inside of wheels cleaned and waxed and unbuffed.
Leather seats covered in mink or neatsfoot oil.
Top -periodically (once a week?) sprayed with a conditioner.

Quick Reply: Winter storage