S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

WTF, why am I causing "Holograms"

Old 04-17-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down WTF, why am I causing "Holograms"

So I didnt wantr to do a big detail today but I wanted to use some glaze to hide some imperfections until I have time yo do a FULL detail.

The problem is, after using glaze and a Lake Country white pad (has been used quite a lot) I created "holograms", looks terrible in sunlight.

I did not move the PC around to fast so what causes this?

As I was wondering why I was causing this, FedEx came and dleivered my large order from DD, however my orange pads didnt come yet so I didnt want to try and fix it, especially cause Im pressed for time

How can I avoid this?

PS I bought some new microfiber towels, should I wash these before using, is that what causes this?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first time i actually waxed my S was with a microfiber towel...BAD MOVE.
Although it was the first time i ever did a wax, ill never use a MF towel again. The waffle shape of the towel caused this hollogram effect, at least thats what it did to me, or it could possibly be that there is some remnant of wax on the car. I use cloth baby diapers now and they work like a charm.

Hope this helps. Good Luck
Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 AM

really? Its the Microfiber towels, should I really use diapers?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 AM

This is interesting... ive used nothing but micro fiber towels for wax and they have been fantastic
Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM

I would say that you may have waxed dirt into your paint or something like that to contaminate it like that but im no expert.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:30 AM

thats just a personal pref. of mine, ive seen better results with the baby diapers. i know some people who swear by MF towels and their cars look awesome, better than mine too.

I guess it just comes down to how you do it, do a search on the forum and see if you can come up with anything.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:46 AM

It seems after doing some research maybe its some glaze residue?

SHould you wash after polish, then when done washing then sealant, then wax>
Old 04-17-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok bro, first off a white LC pad is too harsh for your softy-honda-paint. our paint is much softer than u think, and if ur using a LC pad, and u want to do a one-step polish job, you'll need to use black at least. with the white pad having too much "cut" you should see much more favorable results using the same polish with a black pad as it has less cut which will help the polish finish down more favorably

like another person said above, also make sure u'r not polishing any dirt particles into the paint. to make sure this isn't happening, ensure the car is properly washed and clayed before any machine polishing.

for additional help, keep doing a little peeking around and research on the forums and keep us updated on progress. good luck!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 PM

ok thanks. for my big detail I got an orange pad, then I am goign to follow upwith a green one, then blue then black for final, is this ok, or too harsh?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after the orange you might b better off going black, but if u plan on a three-step polish, orange-green-blue might be fine. orange-black-blue might work better. always start with the lightest combo to see if it works, and if u need a more aggressive combo, move to that. sounds like u pretty much have things under control, and you'll gain lots of experience by the time r half-way done with your car

Quick Reply: WTF, why am I causing "Holograms"