S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

New Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers (HOS MI21)?

Old 08-17-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers (HOS MI21)?

Hi,

I just found out that Ohlins modified the coilovers for the S2000. They changed the spring rates to 110N/mm in the front and 70N/mm in the rear. It's now called HOS MI21 (it was HOS MI20)
I thought they would use a stiffer rear spring to solve the problem with the limited compression travel of the rear damper, if they modified something. But they made the spring softer instead...why?

A lot of coilovers manufacturers use the same spring in the front and rear, if I am not mistaken. Why is Ohlins choosing to go this way?

What do you guys think?

JagoBlitz
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MI_HOSMI21.pdf (538.8 KB, 362 views)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:12 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/au...99-2009--6456/
Nope Ohlins still 100/80 NM for M121
Post a link ?
Old 08-17-2018, 01:24 PM

Edit yes just read as you said in product news ect..<Spec is for 00>03 MY>
10mm preload on the rears also with 70NM
1MM with 110NM front.

Last edited by noodels; 08-17-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
Post a link ?
Yeah, their website (at least the .eu one) is not up to date.
I attached the manual to the first post.

Edit yes just read as you said in product news ect..
10mm preload on the rears also with 70NM

1MM with 110NM front.
So.. what's your opinion?
Old 08-17-2018, 01:33 PM

Its for 00>03MY
Old 08-17-2018, 01:39 PM

Post a link ?
Instructions in first post says AP1 and AP2...

German news and English news show different years
Old 08-17-2018, 01:51 PM

Covering all bases then<many changes on the s2000 arbs ect> <one size does not fit all applications> bespoke application MY dependent><still>
Old 08-19-2018, 07:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd like to know why they choose the spring rates they did and if the dampers changed at all (unlikely). I replaced my rear springs with 7kg and left the front alone at 10kg. It rides nicer for me around town; however, I can't say anything about handling since I've yet to push it hard.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 AM

I talked to someone from Ohlins Germany Aftersales.
As the coilovers are pretty new, he did not have a lot of information, but according to him the damping and spring rates were changed. But he could not answer if the lower mount or the shock body were modified.

He also mentioned this was done to fight undrsteeer...? That does not really make sense...does ist?

I would really like to get some more info. Could Ohlins USA, Sakebomb Garage or Urge help with this?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:39 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JagoBlitz
I talked to someone from Ohlins Germany Aftersales.
As the coilovers are pretty new, he did not have a lot of information, but according to him the damping and spring rates were changed. But he could not answer if the lower mount or the shock body were modified.

He also mentioned this was done to fight undrsteeer...? That does not really make sense...does ist?

I would really like to get some more info. Could Ohlins USA, Sakebomb Garage or Urge help with this?
So, we've been trying to wrap our heads around this change for a long time now... because nothing adds up. The changes made are the opposite of what we would recommend, but the reasoning behind the changes is to *try* to make the kits more "universal" for the end users. That however comes with compromises.

For instance, the front has gone up 1kg in spring rate however the rear has gone DOWN 1kg in spring rate. This is a bit backwards... the stagger was already correct, but the stoke was not enough for the for some reason the spring stagger now is even FURTHER apart. For stock sway bars on square tires we usually recommend a 2kg spring rate (give or take) depending on the The rear of this kit already did not have enough stroke... but the stroke remains the same in the rear, and the front stroke has been DECREASED. I can not wrap my head around these changes as they are fundamentally backwards to what we would recommend. What you will end up with is massive understeer.

Now it does work in the sense that you can pick different spring rates for this kit, and without helper springs (to protect the fender) all you can do is limit stroke in the shock. The standard spring/valving stagger is way too wide, and from what we've seen the compression curve has been mucked with to accommodate a wider spring rate. Basically, Sweden has tried to make this kit very "general", which comes with some big performance compromises. Our SBG DFV "Sport" kit address basically what Ohlins was trying to get at with this kit, but streamlined with longer stroke... and our FPSpec Custom DFV kits allows for the higher spring rates for race applications without compromises and ultra-long stroke. I really am scratching my head with the newest off the shelf S2K offering... it's compromised in many ways and never addressed the fundamental issue with the original kit. We will have it available on the website but will not be stocking it as a result.

https://www.sakebombgarage.com/s2000/suspension/
The following users liked this post:
Gottabfast (10-17-2018)

Quick Reply: New Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers (HOS MI21)?