New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

#59 Race Blog

Old 10-25-2014, 06:35 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default #59 Race Blog

Originally Posted by pgss2k
I ask because I have had a 1000 in the basement for about a year now, back and forth all the time between putting it on or selling it instead and getting caged. After trying Greg's with the old 1000 I was hooked on the bigger HP. I like the reliability of the factory setup. No diff/syncro/halfshaft..... issues yet (as I knock on the desktop)
Paul - you know my feelings about the reliability - I hate to be the "negative Nancy" but with your situation of traveling 8-12 hrs to get to the track, do you really want to risk a break down ?. Remember that I already traveled down that road, and I had plenty of painful trips to the track that ended 15 mins into my first session. (blown motor, faulty injector, blown SC pulley)

Its not always a simple "bolt on solution" for horse power, it is the beginning of a journey that never really ends. Remember all those cracked rotors, spent brake pads, wasted wheel bearings and broken wheel studs I have had to deal with. Remember I used to carry spare hubs, rotors, pads, and axles with me ALL the time. Then you also will need a few upgrades - oil cooler, better radiator, fresh air intake, baffled oil pan, bigger exhaust, better brakes and suspension - maybe you should buy my S2000 !.

I would also cage the car (using the GCR) before I put a SC on because that will open the door for you to instruct with many more clubs that don't allow convertibles.

I am not trying to talk you out of it - but if I was you I would do a full year of Instructing before bolting that SC on.

Just my 2 cents from an old washed up track whore wanna-be racer dude.

[attachment=68437:dog.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails #59 Race Blog-dog.jpg  

Last edited by s200059; 05-30-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 10-25-2014, 06:38 AM

Winter plans preparing for the 2015 Race Season:

After my last run with SCDA , Ian and I talked about going to the SCCA Runoffs at Daytona next year and he said "you need to pick a National class and build a car for it". The class I want to run Super Touring Under 2000cc (STU) does not allow after market forced induction. That is the class that ELivan Goulart won during the 2013 Runoffs, he actually won the race the day Paul and I were at WG in Oct with the Boston chapter, right about the time Paul and I got reprimanded for aggressive driving !!

So I will have Quantum race works freshen up my spare AP1 engine and it will get installed this winter with out the super charger.

Running the super charger is a blast with all the power but it is also a pain in butt to stay on top of things. And there is no way I could race a SC car without a fully built motor, I would be fearful of a melt down each and every week.

So to compensate for the lack of HP I will once again focus on handling, some new Penske dampers will be on order soon and then a trip to Flatout to have her corner balanced and aligned.

Its shaping up to be a busy winter.

[attachment=68438enske.png]
Attached Thumbnails #59 Race Blog-penske.png  
Old 10-25-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You said you thought you might go that way the last time we talked. Looks like you are in for next season now! I have a Penske shock tuning manual I downloaded from the internet somewhere. I'll scare it up and see if I can get it too you. Heavy reading! Deleted excess from Jake's thread. Good call.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by s200059
Looks like its time for the Banquets - I am going to try and make as many as I can but the Ohio event is just too far away.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

North East Divisional Road Racing Championship results
All the points have been updated! Congratulations to following class Champions:

AS - Mark Wheaton, NEng
FV - Guy Pellingham, WNY
HP - Robert Zatz, NEng

ITE - Greg Goss, MoHud
ITR - Ben Phillips, NNJR
P1 - Paul Drula, WDC
SRF - Neil Killey, StCt
ITS - Ray Peterson, StCt

Over 750 different NE drivers participated in the seven race weekends of the Divisional Series. Congrats to all of you for making it the best series in the NE.

To the Champions: You are invited to the Saturday night awards dinner (covered by the Div) at the MiniCon in Malborough,Mass. If you call the hotel they have special rates for SCCA members for the Minicon weekend

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some day you will start listening......but if words are not enough then the results speak for themselves.

Congratulation Greg on finishing second in ITE the Kryderacing Regional Race Series.Awards will be handed out at the Annual Kryderacing Banquet on Nov. 22, 2014 at A La Cart Catering in Canfield, OH.
http://www.kryderaci...ntstandings.pdf

[attachment=68488:kryder.jpg]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to be a busy awards season this year.

Final Points for NYSRRC - some familiar MoHud names made the cut,
http://nysrrc.org/ar...05standings.pdf

http://nysrrc.org/ar...41005topten.pdf

[attachment=68485:nysrrc1.jpg]

[attachment=68486:nysrrc2.jpg]

Final North Atlantic Road Racing Championship

http://www.narrc.com...arrc-points.pdf

[attachment=68484:narrc1.jpg]

New England Road Racing Championship

[attachment=68483:nerrc1.jpg]

New Jersey Road Racing Series
http://www.njrrs.com...s/14_Points.pdf
[attachment=68487:NNJS.jpg]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Awards Banquet - North East Divisional

1st - NEDIV (top points for all competitors also - see picture)
1st - NYSRRC (tied for 1st).
1st - NARRC
2nd - NERRC
2nd Kryder RRC.
3rd - NJRRC
BTW - EJ Smith is at the NEDIV Mini-convention and he over heard them mention my name.
His comments are below Too funny.

And here is where crazy drivers like me end up - with 1st place in ITE and also NEDIV Driver of the Year for 2014.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Healing slowly - but it helps to have reminders of just how well my year went.
https://www.facebook...?type=1
https://www.facebook...?type=1

Attached Thumbnails #59 Race Blog-nerrc1.jpg   #59 Race Blog-narrc1.jpg   #59 Race Blog-nysrrc1.jpg   #59 Race Blog-nysrrc2.jpg   #59 Race Blog-nnjs.jpg  

#59 Race Blog-kryder.jpg  
Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Greg was hoping to race with you next yr but looks like we are on different tracks, not to mention NASA vs SCCA. Anyhow, can't blame you for ditching the charger for more competition. I Want to see how this yr goes for me and I'm thinking I'll either ditch charger and run Honda challenge or buy a spec Miata.

Glad the penskes worked out, ordered mine the day after you so hopefully getting them soon!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 AM

TBT - everything is on hold right now. The only thing I need right now is a clear head,the f@#king drugs that are killing the pain and the tremors are the drugs that are making me a zombie and I lost 4 days last week. I keep thinking today is Wed but now I find out its almost Sunday. I haven't eaten, can take a crap and when I do its violent diarrhea, can't sleep in my bed and mu neck is still killing me and I have very poor balance. I can not even do internet cause I cant typing or stay awake long enough to keep a thought. not a fun week week this week and I am not sure he fixed the problem with my arm cause I still have pain and numbness ness in my arm.
So there's the honest ugly f@#kin truth of the situation and Lisa can't seem to come to grips with it. Unless it improves drastically I will be stuck in this house for a vary long time with ALL race plans on hold for now..
Old 11-23-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

2009 I hurt my neck. Felt like a tiger had bitten off my tricep, and I lost all feeling in my right hand.
The pain was ridiculous. Got MRI'd, and was told I had to have an Anterior Cervical Disc Fusion (ACDF). My GP said to delay as long as possible.
I declined the surgery as it has a very low success rate, and waited out the swelling to subside. A couple months later, I had feeling, pain went down after about 4-5 months, and now, after 5 years, I have reasonable movement and only a few episodes a year but nothing like the original.
I had to give up almost everything I liked like golf and motorcycles.
I drove the s2000 with a tall neck collar and it helped a lot and I still bring it with me when I take the car out.
Go slow Greg. I feel for you. I've crashed cycles at high speeds, hitting guardrail wires, breaking bones road rash like I was shot out of cannon naked into a sandpaper factory, but I've never had anything worse than that neck injury.
You will get better, guarantee. It's just a slow road in the slow lane to recovery.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:18 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by s200059
TBT - everything is on hold right now. The only thing I need right now is a clear head,the f@#king drugs that are killing the pain and the tremors are the drugs that are making me a zombie and I lost 4 days last week. I keep thinking today is Wed but now I find out its almost Sunday. I haven't eaten, can take a crap and when I do its violent diarrhea, can't sleep in my bed and mu neck is still killing me and I have very poor balance. I can not even do internet cause I cant typing or stay awake long enough to keep a thought. not a fun week week this week and I am not sure he fixed the problem with my arm cause I still have pain and numbness ness in my arm.
So there's the honest ugly f@#kin truth of the situation and Lisa can't seem to come to grips with it. Unless it improves drastically I will be stuck in this house for a vary long time with ALL race plans on hold for now..
Hang in there Greg. The commitment and determination that you have is way more than what the rest of us have. The very same determination that ensured you took the fast track to become an instructor, race winner, and ITE Champ is what will also ensure that you will endure and power through what you are going through now.

As you recover, please know that we are with you and will be cheering for you every step of the way. I live in the neighborhood, so do not hesitate to lean on me should you or Lisa need anything at all.

Get as much rest as you need and take your time healing up. I am sure you will be back stronger than ever.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:23 PM

I know many have sent texts and emails, some even said "your name wasn't entered on the hospital list - you were never even in there". So here is a short update after surgery and yes I was in the hospital and the cell phone is turned OFF for now so I can get some rest after being up for almost 72 hrs straight.
I was told the surgery went as well as to be expected and I awake on Tues in the recovery room where I had apparently spent the night since there were no room available at all in ICU. I did not sleep at all since I was awaken at 6 pm to remove my breathing tube. and I was given high volumes of morphine to deal with the pain which kept me pretty much in a haze but not asleep. In the next day I was moved and thought I was going home but noticed Lisa had taken my clothes, wallet and cell phone which are 2 of the 3 things I need to leave the hospital. I let you figure our out which one I really don't need.......I willl just mention the swimming pool incident at NJMP. I never slept for 2 days straight
I don't remember much over the next several days but I came home on Wed and woke up and asked what day it was on Sunday thinking it was Wed or Thur. Lisa mention I had not been to the bathroom since Monday and I was feeling it. She decided a cocktail made from prunejuice, dulcolax and stool softener. I think you know where this is going and it wasn't pretty but the desired effect was achieved. Now I have cut back on the all the pain pills and trying to stay awake longer.

Some have asked about the new race car build and TBT - everything is on hold right now. The only thing I need right now is a clear head from the f@#king drugs that are killing the pain and the tremors are the drugs that are making me a zombie and I lost 4 days last week. I keep thinking today is Wed but now I find out its almost Sunday. I haven't eaten, can take a crap and when I do its violent diarrhea, can't sleep in my bed and my neck is still killing me and I have very poor balance. I can not even do internet cause I cant typing or stay awake long enough to keep a thought. This has not been a fun week ..... and I am not sure he fixed the problem with my arm cause I still have pain and numbness ness in my arm.

<br clear="all">
Hoping for a better week going forward. I will post on S2KI also.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:02 PM

I am feeling better each day, my arm is almost 100%, my neck still have pain but no where near the amount like I have all summer. I have a followup on Monday, I should get the OK to get back to normal activity.

I have made a couple trips to Quantum to speak with Stevie about the engine I need for 2015. It will be back to OEM specs and no super charger. I will have to shave weight and practice my lines to get those lap times back up where they belong.

I got a belated Christmas present today and this should give me peace of mind if nothing else so when I am wringing the living daylights out of her I won't worry about oil starvation.

[attachment=71587:canton1.jpg]

[attachment=71588:canton2.jpg]

[attachment=71589:canton3.jpg]

[attachment=71590:canton4.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails #59 Race Blog-canton1.jpg   #59 Race Blog-canton2.jpg   #59 Race Blog-canton3.jpg   #59 Race Blog-canton4.jpg  

Quick Reply: #59 Race Blog