S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Banjo Bolt Thread Stripped! Please Help!!!

Old 01-22-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banjo Bolt Thread Stripped! Please Help!!!

Worst thing that could happen just did. I was doing the updated oil squirter bolt/banjo bolt replacement on my00 when I stripped it in cylinder #2! I installed #4 and then #1 which took time and after that I felt confident, but then I went to install it in #2, I thought it was good until it just kept turning without tighting! I took it back out and saw that the thread on the block is stripped. The bolt has no damage, just the inside. I saw this has happened to only a few people, but I really need all the help I could get.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

maybe a helicoil insert ?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

You can try a thread chaser to repair threads. https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...ad-chaser-sets
Old 01-23-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

+1. I used a similar kit I got on Amazon. One of the best tools ever. This isn't at all like a thread tap. Those cut new threads, and can make a real mess if threads are in bad shape. They remove material, and can end up cutting the threads away.

These thread restoration tools aren't sharp. They don't cut. Don't remove material. They just sort of mall the material back into shape.

In addition to being more likely to save the threads, these also have advantage of generating almost zero metal chips that might get left behind.

Secret to these is lube them up well, and go slow. Go forward, go backwards. Go forwards just a little more, go backwards. Over and over and over. You seriously don't want to break one of these hardened metal slugs tightly into a threaded hole.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:16 PM

Is there a thread which details which engine number cut-off for not requiring 4 hole bolt installation ?

Bought '02 suzuka blue w/34,000. Engine #1026693

Any idea at what milage problems arise?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by StartMeUp; 02-22-2018 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

This is not the first time this has happened.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...r-one-1077027/

Once the dust settles, I think we need some voices of reason to step in and advise people if this procedure is worth the risk (I personally do not feel it is worth the risk-- the hype was overblown).

Good luck OP -- hang in there.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:08 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
This is not the first time this has happened.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...r-one-1077027/

Once the dust settles, I think we need some voices of reason to step in and advise people if this procedure is worth the risk (I personally do not feel it is worth the risk-- the hype was overblown).

I would never try this procedure unless the oil pump is out of the way. Using u joints and extensions on a torque critical bolt is a recipe for disaster. If that bolt doesn't enter perfectly chances are you're going to mess up the threads. Then inaccurate torque from the extensions and u joints.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:48 PM

Okay, so after a month of research and finally getting around to it, the bolt is in.
I decide to use this repair procedure https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...epair-1162873/
I used a 5/16-24 Helicoil kit
Amazon Amazon
Why did I go this route? Because this one was only a $50 kit while the M8 X 0.75 Thread repair kits would have been $200+ becuase I'm in Canada and the dollar sucks right now for us.
I found the kits here https://www.threadtoolsupply.com/M8x...epair-kit.html and of course, I literally just found this one but it's mainly based in the UK
Amazon Amazon
not a bad price for this one, don't know about shipping or anything though..

So using a 5/16-24 helicoil works out to be about 7.9 X 1ish, and that means the threads on the actual bolt will change. I used a 5/16-24 die to re-thread the oil jet bolt and somehow it worked. You can see the threads are a little butchered but they're there.

Those are both the old oil jet design with two holes instead of 4 that I used for practice, and other photo is to show comparison in threads.

I was also able to tap and insert the helicoil into cylinder 2 without taking the pump off because there was just enough clearance for a small extension, the tap, the tap to socket adapter, and the ratchet to fit in-between the pump and the block. I was not able to take out the tab at the end of the coil however, when I put a rod in there to punch it out, it moved it so now it's part of the threads. Is that okay still??? That's my only concern, but the bolt is in and torqued down to 12ft-lbs

I making a video that's a little more info to it, but moral of the story is f*ck trying to build a racecar.

Last edited by MWoolley; 02-25-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The tab at the end will be fine. If it was a through hole you would break the end off so the bolt could continue out the other side. You should have told Dylan to ask me for a thread chaser
Glad you got it fixed. Looking forward to seeing the car around this year.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:46 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD

Has there been issues with the original oil squirters failing? Man! I'd have second thoughts doing this "upgrade" --- then hitting redline.

Quick Reply: Banjo Bolt Thread Stripped! Please Help!!!