S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine overhaul and reliabylity

Old 07-14-2018, 02:34 AM

Received 277 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Engine overhaul and reliabylity

Just out of pure curiosity.......

Beside the many different opinions ragarding the reliabylity of the S2000 Engine (Opinions ranging from 0 - 200,000 Km = 125,000 Miles here in Germany)

What is the best way to overhaul the cylinder bores on a stock engine, if it is neccessary one day? As described in the shop manual by honda or with (darton) sleeves?

Beside the problem that the engine here in germany is exotic and most shops dont want to touch it, and even a honda technican lately told me the the Cylinder walls are "Plated".... but that´s a different problem...
Old 07-14-2018, 03:30 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I don't know the answer to your question. But, my impression based on years of reading about efforts to rebuild the bottom end of these engines is that it is very tricky business at best. I have rebuilt several iron engines in my life. I would not touch this engine with a 10 foot pole. If it needs to be done, best to get it to a true expert with this particular engine. The fact that you have rebuilt other engines in numbers is not sufficient experience to rebuild this engine in my opinion.

The good news though is that if this engine is well cared for, they regularly run reliably up over 200K miles and even up to and over 300K miles.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

As long as you don't fall for this Castrol 'Super Car' 10W-60 stuff but use a good xW-30 oil instead, change it every 10-15k km and use the S2k specific OEM filter it will last forever.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...inders-805890/
Old 07-14-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Can’t bore the oem sleeves. Need to resleeve the block. Thing isn’t necessary unless ur walls are messed up. Iv had my old engine run great in my race car with over 200k miles on the motor. It only was replaced because my buddy misshifted and it bent a valve. You should have no problem in runnin the motor till over 200k Miles.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Simple mass produced engines like civics and wrx's can easily be rebuilt with out a problem. S2k's however... not the case, it would be cheaper to buy a used engine with decent mileage (0-80k) and throw it in and would last longer than an rebuilt engine. Our forged internals doesnt just mean pistons, its also the block along with other engine components. Simple re-boring the cylinder walls and throwing new rings isnt an option for us unfortunately. Many have tried to upgrade oem engine parts such as valve springs along with intake and exhaust valves and nothing beats oem. 10-20k on non oem parts is enough to destroy the engine and its happened before. There were a couple threads around about non oem springs and valves that tore up a camshaft so bad it clogged the oil jets leading to a seized motor.

Maybe throw in a ls1? (: Or just throw a K series and boost it with tons of money to spare. K series in the states are 800-1200 bucks... When mine eventually goes out, im throwing a k series and plan on pushing 20lbs not caring if I blow the motor as there easily obtainable and dirt cheap.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If the bores are in good shape why not lightly hone them and rebuild?
Old 07-15-2018, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpg51
I don't know the answer to your question. But, my impression based on years of reading about efforts to rebuild the bottom end of these engines is that it is very tricky business at best. I have rebuilt several iron engines in my life. I would not touch this engine with a 10 foot pole. If it needs to be done, best to get it to a true expert with this particular engine. The fact that you have rebuilt other engines in numbers is not sufficient experience to rebuild this engine in my opinion.

The good news though is that if this engine is well cared for, they regularly run reliably up over 200K miles and even up to and over 300K miles.
^ Agreed.

I've read quite a few threads on overhaul and upgrade rebuilds to hear many say that the worst things to do to this engine is to crack it open and start "upgrading" things. OEM stuff was almost always praised, too.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:50 AM

Received 277 Likes on 200 Posts

Thank you all!
I have more peace of mind now about the reliability. Yesy, i use -30 weight oil and only OEM oil filters.

Still, its very odd that nobody is able to overhaul the engine. According to Hondas workshop manual it should be possible. Puzzling!
Old 07-16-2018, 06:00 AM

Received 1,425 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
Thank you all!
I have more peace of mind now about the reliability. Yesy, i use -30 weight oil and only OEM oil filters.

Still, its very odd that nobody is able to overhaul the engine. According to Hondas workshop manual it should be possible. Puzzling!
It can be correctly rebuilt, if the mechanic knows this particular engine. And doesn't treat it is like any other Honda engine (like S2cho said).