S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Quick release clutch master cylinder upgrade

Old 10-01-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Quick release clutch master cylinder upgrade

Does anyone have any experience with this? It looks like a nice mod to accompany a lighter faster shifting flywheel claims to reduce clutch pedal travel by 45% making the driving experience even more engaging. I personally feel pedal travel is too long on the s2k. Keep in mind pedal travel is different than 'engagement point'. Wondering how much easier or difficult this will make modulating the clutch...

https://bloxracing.com/shop/index.ph...product_id=529
Old 10-14-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been running this for over a year and I really like it. The clutch pedal throw is much shorter than stock. With that comes a stiffer pedal though. Since you have shorter throw, its harder to disengage the clutch, but you get used to it pretty quickly. The clutch in my S2000 is starting to go, so I have to have the pedal adjusted further down toward the floor than I'd like. This creates an issue with the cruise control switch on the clutch pedal. The pedal is barely making contact with the switch, so once in a while the cruise won't engage. When this happens I just have to pull the clutch pedal up a bit with my foot, then it works. I'm guessing once I replace the clutch, this will be fixed. This brings me to the next question, how well will this clutch master cylinder work with a stiffer aftermarket clutch?
Old 10-15-2018, 03:20 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Give it a shot, OP. My opinion is that the stock throw is just about right, in terms of timing shifts and resolution when you're trying to feather the clutch.

But your opinion probably differs.

I don't see any issues, except the harder pedal as mentioned above. The shorter stroke will require some height adjustment of the CC switch and possibly the interlock switch in the other direction.

A soft pedal that disengages the clutch way up high is the best type of setup for fast shifting. You're going the opposite way of that a little bit with the aftermarket one. But you may like it.

An obvious fact is that the quality won't be anywhere near OEM quality. But...that's the case with virtually any aftermarket part.

Can't cost that much to try it out though, I wouldn't think?
Old 10-15-2018, 03:25 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
I have been running this for over a year and I really like it. The clutch pedal throw is much shorter than stock. With that comes a stiffer pedal though. Since you have shorter throw, its harder to disengage the clutch, but you get used to it pretty quickly. The clutch in my S2000 is starting to go, so I have to have the pedal adjusted further down toward the floor than I'd like. This creates an issue with the cruise control switch on the clutch pedal. The pedal is barely making contact with the switch, so once in a while the cruise won't engage. When this happens I just have to pull the clutch pedal up a bit with my foot, then it works. I'm guessing once I replace the clutch, this will be fixed. This brings me to the next question, how well will this clutch master cylinder work with a stiffer aftermarket clutch?
You can opt to adjust freeplay without effecting clutch pedal height. Or just adjust your CC switch. That might resolve your issues.

The stiffer aftermarket clutch will be proportionally harder to push. Aftermarket clutches come in lots of different pressure plate clamp forces.

If you don't have any actual reason to install an aftermarket pressure plate, I would stick with OEM. Honda made it as stiff as possible without risking damage to the crank thrust bearings.

OEM designs are usually "as good as it gets" without assuming some further risk. Which is probably the most boring thing anyone has ever said.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:01 AM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I wish they made a competition brake master cylinder for the BBK guys