S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

10.5 miles

Old 05-24-2019, 06:49 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default 10.5 miles

I'm on the Board of DIrectors of a Not-For-Profit organization not too far from here. When I was working full time I used to audit this organization, but now that I'm semi-retired I was elected to the Board. Actually, semi-retirement hasn't turned out to be exactly what I thought it would be. I left the firm that I was with and set up an office in my basement. My commute went from 45 minutes to a flight of stairs, and during tax season I was doing early morning tax returns in my pajamas. I have a nice following for a small practice but I'm working harder than I expected to be. People who know me well tell me I wouldn't have it any other way. They're probably right.

Anyway, today is Friday and by mid-afternoon I decided that I'd had enough for the day. I wanted to get outside and enjoy whatever sunlight I could. Conveniently I remembered that I had to sign some papers at the not-for-profit organization. I also remembered that I've put zero miles on my S2000 since November. Two weeks ago I backed it out of the garage to check the oil and tire pressure, but that's the only movement its had in 6 1/2 months. I didn't even have a chance to take my traditional January 20* top down drive. I think this is the only year I've missed it in the 17 years that I own the car.

So, I got the key's, opened the garage door, lowered the top and slowly backed the S out of the garage. As soon as the car was warmed up, I was on my way. Of course, I took the long way, the twisty back roads that you'd never take if you were in a hurry. I thought that this would be a good warmup and shakedown drive for next weeks Spring Fling.

I got to the organization with a big smile on my face, and when I pulled into the lot one of the groundskeepers that I know came out to greet me. He offered to let me use his Harley for the weekend if I let him use my S. I told him that it was an interesting offer, but that I'd let it pass. I asked him to keep an eye on my S while I take care of the business I came for.

I got finished, said goodbye to everyone and drove the 10.5 miles home. Just me and my S.

I'd forgotten how much fun 10.5 miles could be.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:31 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Rob, now that it is summer I've been frequently using the GT-S for community 28.6 miles.
Normally Rt 495 will run between 75-85 when it's not at a dead stop.
These are professional commuters who want to get to work quick.
Thursday morning had an incredibly high volume of "summer vacation" drivers.
Lots of campers lumbering along, folks in the left lane doing 50 because they could still see the car ahead of them.

It was no fun. I felt like I was using a Kentucky thoroughbred racehorse to give pony cart rides in someone's 600 sq foot backyard.
The car didn't like it, the brakes kept getting cold and grabby. It's a miracle I have any clutches left.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
I'm on the Board of DIrectors of a Not-For-Profit organization not too far from here. When I was working full time I used to audit this organization, but now that I'm semi-retired I was elected to the Board. Actually, semi-retirement hasn't turned out to be exactly what I thought it would be. I left the firm that I was with and set up an office in my basement. My commute went from 45 minutes to a flight of stairs, and during tax season I was doing early morning tax returns in my pajamas. I have a nice following for a small practice but I'm working harder than I expected to be. People who know me well tell me I wouldn't have it any other way. They're probably right.

Anyway, today is Friday and by mid-afternoon I decided that I'd had enough for the day. I wanted to get outside and enjoy whatever sunlight I could. Conveniently I remembered that I had to sign some papers at the not-for-profit organization. I also remembered that I've put zero miles on my S2000 since November. Two weeks ago I backed it out of the garage to check the oil and tire pressure, but that's the only movement its had in 6 1/2 months. I didn't even have a chance to take my traditional January 20* top down drive. I think this is the only year I've missed it in the 17 years that I own the car.

So, I got the key's, opened the garage door, lowered the top and slowly backed the S out of the garage. As soon as the car was warmed up, I was on my way. Of course, I took the long way, the twisty back roads that you'd never take if you were in a hurry. I thought that this would be a good warmup and shakedown drive for next weeks Spring Fling.

I got to the organization with a big smile on my face, and when I pulled into the lot one of the groundskeepers that I know came out to greet me. He offered to let me use his Harley for the weekend if I let him use my S. I told him that it was an interesting offer, but that I'd let it pass. I asked him to keep an eye on my S while I take care of the business I came for.

I got finished, said goodbye to everyone and drove the 10.5 miles home. Just me and my S.

You know what they say about all work and no play. Glad you got out to smell the roses.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper

I'm looking forward to that drive, again. I got new tires on my S but am not driving it until my left arm is back to steering wheel griping. I got a quick feel of the new tires and I love them. The S is going to be so much fun this year.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:59 AM

Received 3,805 Likes on 3,030 Posts

I took my S out for a what I planned on being quick run Sunday and ended up coming back about an hour and a half later. Every time I go for what I plan to be a quick blast around the block turns into 40+ miles. These really are special cars.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:25 PM

Oh come on Robb, we know that really is just one spin around the "block".
Old 05-29-2019, 04:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Ha ha
I'd also forgotten how much fun 1500 miles could be!! LOL
Old 05-30-2019, 04:58 PM

I really would love to find 110.5 miles to go plumb the reserves of the GT-S.