Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Can we NOT tell "newbies" to just go "do a search"?

Old 06-06-2002, 11:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Can we NOT tell "newbies" to just go "do a search"?

Would it be possible to make "search titles only" as the default? Not everyone even sees this or considers to choose it. This might make a search by someone new (or someone not so new) a bit more productive. Of course, that would mean maybe when we start a new thread, the subject should mean something. (Instead of: "Question" or "Guess What?" or "I have a problem" or "Can I ... ") Normally, any search of the body of the text would return hundreds of results that must be sifted through, thus making it simpler to just post a new thread and ask the question.

Until something better like this comes along perhaps we could refrain from replying to a question with "Go do a search". To someone new to the forum, this sounds very unfriendly and sometimes elicits some "rude" rebuttals that could be avoided. If you're sick of seeing the same old questions asked repeatedly, then move on. You don't have to reply. If you do click on the "reply" button, then you should be prepared to give an answer and perhaps maybe hint that there is a "search" feature that might be of some use for future queries. Didn't your mamma teach you that a little patience and politeness goes a long way?

Once we begin to "subscribe" to this forum with annual fees, it would seem even more "elitist" to a newbie if that's the kind of response they get. Don't make them feel like they're standing on the outside looking in and then have a door slammed in their faces. (How quickly we forget.)
Old 06-07-2002, 05:17 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree - this is a case for 'diplomacy' and some extra friendliness. One good way to 'give the hint' is to do a quick search yourself on their topic, then post the results and how you found them. Takes a bit of time, but shows newbies how it's done.

JonasM
Old 06-10-2002, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good post xviper. Maybe the Mods should start a "tips" thread at the top of the forums so topics like this can get more exposure.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I find it nearly as easy to do a quick search for them & post its results as a link as it takes to reply to them "Do a search". I still use the reply & its link to suggest to them that they do a search...but I don't see it as taking me too long to do the same search for them to get them started & let them see that Searches can offer a wealth of information.

But true xviper...any and every suggestion to make the forums more friendly is always welcome!
Old 06-10-2002, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good suggestion xviper....

I was a little taken aback to see a "mod" giving such a response to a newbie...... and he had a bit of a dig back at me for me suggesting that it wasn't the nicest way to respond !!
Old 06-18-2002, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xviper, this is a joke, no? I distinctively remember one morning reading at least two, but more like 3 or 4, where your post was something like "read the owner's manual." "Use the Search." Well, I am probably being remiss, in that you did provide answers, too. I just found this post made me smile, as you, in my mind, are "Mr. Owners Manual." Dario is "Mr. Use The Search." Me, I'm just a buffoon.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by QPhox4
[B] Xviper, this is a joke, no?