Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Dealer Directory Beta Testers

Old 09-06-2002, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to help make the new dealer directory as bulletproof as possible.

There are a few things that you should know about it:

1. I only have dealers with ZIP codes 00000-~80000 in the database. A search on a dealer west of the Rockies won't turn up any results. It's not a bug, just a lack of data. I'll try to correct this as we go.

2. Add dealer doesn't actually save the dealer information. Comments and ratings I can remove later quite easily but dealers are a bit more tricky. To prevent poluting the database with bogus dealers I have disabled the save. I will test this part myself. Please do try and add dealers tho, it needs testing!

3. The login at the beta site and the login at the production site are not the same. Logging into one doesn't log you into the other. You'll need to login there but you should be directed to do so automatically. You use the same username and password.

4. Nothing outside of the Dealer Directory is guaranteed to work. Please don't report that the forums on the beta site aren't working or other such issues. They aren't issues, they are under development and in various states of operation at and given time.

Post any issues you find here. Thanks for your time!

Erik

On the same topic, I have the UK dealer list and will be adding them once the US directory is running. Other countries are not so easy and will be looked at case by case.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Results show "Failed to create Image Variation"
2. Color scheme is very difficult to read.
3. Hyper links 'mouse over' color is same as background color making it difficult to see.

Suggestion: Adding a Cancel button in the 'Add Dealer' steps in situations where people realize they don't have all required information and don't want to back all the way out!
Old 09-06-2002, 10:35 AM

Nice feature! I also got the "failed to create image variation" message that Blnknd got. Also, at every step of adding a dealer, when searching for dealers, and when adding a comment about a particular dealer, I got a runtime error in line 18 that stated, "object doesn't support this property or method." The map feature worked nicely. Adding a comment worked and was easy, but if you "decline" the terms for adding a comment, nothing happens. This should provoke a "sorry, but you can't add a comment without accepting the conditions," dialogue box or something to that effect. Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Thanks, most helpful!

I know about the image issue but will defer fixing it since the image is just blank anyway, a placeholder. I think I know the javascript code that's causing the error, I'll remove it, it never worked but didn't generate an error on my system.

I'll tidy up these issues in a couple hours. Keep um coming!
Old 09-06-2002, 11:46 AM

Cthree: glad to be of help -- you've clearly done a lot for the S2Ki community through your work on the site, so we all owe you some gratitude. - CBender
Old 09-06-2002, 12:52 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Very nice feature. I have had 3 problems.

1. I live within 2 miles of Joyce Honda but the 5 mile search brought up nothing. Joyce came up when I expanded the search to 25 miles.

2. The spell check didn't work.

3. I didn't realize that you have to vote on sales and service independently, so only my service vote was registered. I think this is a fine feature that will prove to be valuable to all of us. The change I'd like to see is a individual set of voting dots for sales and service.

All in all this is a good and valuable feature. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Administrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
[B]Very nice feature.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:13 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Thinking about it, you are probably right. It's just that I have had a long term relationship with my dealer and looked at it from that point of view.

I do think that you should make it clear that the rating is for a particular instance.

Again, thanks.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Failed to create image variation problem fixed.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Cthree

I Queried for a Dealer, 77429. I got a hit, and then an Error. Since I do dev work on this box, I get to debug the code. Here is where the break point was.

function bodyLoadHandler()
{
var first_element = document.getelementbyid('first');
if( first_element )
{
first_element.focus();
}

preloadImages();
}

OS Version XP
IE Version 6.0.2600

Quick Reply: Dealer Directory Beta Testers