Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Facebook Like buttons!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Apr 26 2010, 10:22 PM
The button stays. You can choose to "Like" it or not, it's entirely your choice. Don't tell me they are messy or clutter up the page. Have you seen a page? Yeah, they ruin everything.

I spent 2 solid weeks and over 120 hours redoing the search engine because it was big f'ing deal and the site was unusable with what we had and do you think one of those guys raising a stink about how "the search sucks" would try it and offer a little feedback? 1 comment FFS and all they wanted was to make it work a forum index page???

No, now there is going to some BS hoopla about a button 99.999% of the users either like or don't care about and that you don't have to click but you know you can't stand it, you can't resist clicking that button, and you're going to come in here and tell me it's an abomination and how if I don't remove a button time will stop and the moon will fling off into space and the icebergs will melt.

You know what will happen? Nothing. I'll spend 10-20 hours redesigning the page layout so it's not "ugly" and I'll add a bunch of options to allow you to customize when and where and if it appears followed by the people raising a stink saying "meh", I didn't care that much anyway.

Well, I'm not going to do it this time. The button stays. I'll find a better home for it when I get around to it and you'll likely never have an option to turn it off.

Facebook is a reality. We have an opportunity to extend s2ki content, your content and your community, to an audience of over 300 million people and we're going to take it, no, have taken it. That decision has been made and the train has left the station.

/story

I suggest you choose to like it
First of all, I do appreciate what you do for the site and Yes I do believe FB inevitable. I actually like it on my home PC but my work disagrees. I would hope that sometime in the future you can give the option to view it or not.

I'm just giving my opinion on the FB frame is all. Our internet is policed by corporate. It used to be pretty lenient until some dorks decided to ruin it for everyone... They decided to check Pr0n at work... WTF??? REALLY?? Anything FB, Myspace, Flickr, Photobucket, Youtube, and Ebay is restricted. No aol, gmail, hotmail, and even certain yahoo sites (sports page restricted). If I check a page and it has multiple restricted items I get "restricted policy... etc" and that counts for like one instance. I get like 5 w/in an hour it's dunce corner for me for 1 hour. Don't ask how I know... After that I'm sure my surfing gets tracked and if there are more "restricted" hits I get locked out. I've been locked out viewing accuweather.com and weather.com just trying to check weather... I have to call HQ and let them unlock my ID. I'm sure they can see what sites I have visited before I got locked out.

I can't add any programs to circumvent due to our restrictive policies. I've looked into it and all tabs are grayed out. I am basically a pee-on user w/ limited internet. I'm glad that this site (so far) has not been restricted. Netflix unfortunately was recently added to that list. I check this site on my breaks and lunch so it threw me off when I saw the lower half of the page saying "RESTRICTED POLICY."

May I ask why on some other sites (ie summitracing.com) they do have a FB little "F" icon and here on s2ki its a whole frame? I can see the "F" on summitracing but on s2ki anything near/in the FB frame is "RESTRICTED"

I guess I'll just have to start working for a change...
Old 04-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Your employer is very unfortunate but I'll reserve my opinion on that as it's none of my business. I'll see what I can do for you.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of Facebook. Why do people post their picture to their profile with their faces blurred out? Really? What's the point?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great addition to the site, IMO. Nice work.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

The facebook page we have is getting a lot of action. The posting of frontpage news articles gets posted on FB right away. I think it has been a good thing. With the addition of this app will all help get more exposure for us and allow us to participate with the new age of communication. I don't see it as a hinderance to s2ki and the particpants of s2ki facebook has increased over 200 since yesterday.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 AM

i am between both of these sites so often while working at home; i think it's funny that several times i've went to click the then-nonexistent "like" button on s2ki when i liked something........so when it appeared, it's almost like i expected it.......good job
Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by cthree,Apr 27 2010, 06:49 AM
^ Your employer is very unfortunate but I'll reserve my opinion on that as it's none of my business. I'll see what I can do for you.
No prob. Like I said before everything was cool until 4 people blew it for us. I mean I knew we can go check some NSFW sites but why do that at work?? Some folks kept on urging me to do it. I was like " Are you dumb?? Ummm IT can track us..." Before our NET policy was super restrictive I did a few of the "workarounds" but when it did change I thought to myself "my job is not worth losing over a few car BB's I i frequent"

A lot of people give you and some of the admins a tough time sometimes about certain quirks on the site but don't understand that THIS IS NOT YOUR JOB, it's only a hobby so I know you (admins) won't be working on the quirks ALL DAY ALL NIGHT. I (myself) really do appreciate what you and the rest of the admins do for this site. I know that updates take time.

I've been avoiding getting a super new techy phone because I know I'll be on it all day but it looks like I may finally have to get one. I can't seem to get enough of this site!

There is one thing I have not figured out yet... Who is MEMBER # 1?

Thanks CThree

My KUDOS go out to the ADMINS

Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM

I like the new addition of Facebook integration. Only thing is, I now have an image of CThree and 3 other people creepily looking back at me on every page

And as was mentioned earlier, use Firefox with Adblock installed, and you can right click on the facebook portion of the page to block only that from showing on each page. Your browser won't request the Facebook content from the server, and your company's servers won't recognize be fooled into thinking you're on Facebook.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

loftust is not a fan of this

It now takes even longer to load each page
Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cthree,Apr 27 2010, 01:22 AM
The button stays. You can choose to "Like" it or not, it's entirely your choice. Don't tell me they are messy or clutter up the page. Have you seen a page? Yeah, they ruin everything.

I spent 2 solid weeks and over 120 hours redoing the search engine because it was big f'ing deal and the site was unusable with what we had and do you think one of those guys raising a stink about how "the search sucks" would try it and offer a little feedback? 1 comment FFS and all they wanted was to make it work a forum index page???
is s2ki paid for carrying the FB button? and what privacy policy comes into play between the two sites - ie FB's policy or s2ki's policy

btw i am glad search finally works - don't know why it took 120 hours to fix it but i am grateful. however i suspect most paid members and guests would assume search would work like every other forum on the Internet

Quick Reply: Facebook Like buttons!