Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Introducing Infinite Scroll - Please Share Your Feedback!

Old 08-02-2017, 04:08 PM
IB Staff

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the font feedback. It is in fact a bit different than before, but we just made an adjustment that should further help with readability. Please let me know your thoughts!

Originally Posted by j0oftheworld
I use the hover over menus (top left) to jump around to the normal forums I check daily..
It now seems these are smaller and a little harder to hover without picking the wrong or losing the menu before clicking.
Even switching to the old style doesn't change this functionality.
Just a small issue really but maybe others see it this way?
We made some tweaks to our menus, but if additional changes are needed, we're happy to do so. What device are you primarily using the menus from (a desktop computer, a tablet, etc.)?

Originally Posted by arsenal
It wasn't there yesterday but it's back today. Agree with others the site is very slow now.
Do you find it to be slow overall, or are there a few specific threads where it's perhaps been slowing down for you? If it's the latter, can you please share links to those threads? Thanks!

Originally Posted by deception9
this scroll is making me dizzy. i'm trying to skip some pages of a 200 page thread and this isn't doing it well or quickly.
If you haven't already done so, try using the pagination buttons along the right side of the bottom bar. You can either navigate page by page ("< Prev" and "Next >"), jump to the first or last page, or type in a specific page number via the text box then click 'Go' to head directly to the page of your choosing. Any of these options will start the scroll at that specific point.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:08 PM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Infinite scroll = whatever. I'm not a fan but can still read the site.

Waiting forever and a day for threads to load because of infinite scroll = getting angrier.

Related thread = bumping a 12 year old dead thread on accident. Make it stop. Make it ****ing stop. Just stop right ****ing now.

No quick reply box at the bottom of the thread when I'm done reading the thread = **** it, time to Facebook and bury this forum in the land of dead geocity sites.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

I am not currently a fan but might be able to get used to it. I have been used to navigating similar forum boards on ATV's, dirtbikes, etc. since my teen years over a decade ago and may just be completely used to it. Given the age of this board and the wealth of knowledge that comes along with that, I usually find myself exploring a fair number of long threads. They may be build threads, a technical question, or car setup stuff. I find it nice to be able to scroll through a vast number of posts/time quickly to attempt to find what I'd like. With infinite scroll, this takes a lot more time. If you are sticking with it, I would at least prefer a "load all posts" and/or "go to most recent post(i.e. bottom)" button on the frozen navigation pane at the top. Though I'm not sure the usability of that option would be great if there are 200+ posts (arbitrary number). I think pagination still has its place aside from fixing performance issues.

Last edited by Jub; 08-02-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Currently not one of the selected half to see the infinite scroll. I do have a question about the font. Did the font for the site change with the infinite scroll change?
Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

This new system sucks.... please tell me how these two items are related, yet it said they were and took me to the second item.

It won't let me even post the joke but it was about a Hillbilly and the "Hind Lick Maneuver"......... so then it takes me to the following Related Post:

Ford Focus RS vs BMW M2 on trackI got a chance to drive a 16 Focus RS (OEM MPSS) on track this past weekend at a local track day and compare it against my 2017 M2 (OEM contis). Starting with the Focus RS...the car is fantastic and honestly made me smile a lot more while driving it on track. I was underwhelmed when I test drove the RS on the street but on the track it was incredible, I could not stop laughing at how entertaining it was. It's pretty loose on turn in and takes a lot of steering input but it will slide and then claw for grip to rocket out of the corner. It's a car you can drive with the throttle as much as the steering wheel and the thing pivots when you throw it in the corner and lift on the throttle to aim the nose. I owned a R35 GT-R and 2016 STI never honestly felt the AWD working the way it did in the Focus. You could feel the power being shifted around from wheel to wheel to help the car rotate and shove it out of the corner. The rear drive unit setup AWD is pretty cool.

The acceleration felt pretty similar to the M2 but it had a lot more corner exit grip especially on tight corners. The Focus also felt stiffer to me in track mode, you can see how much my helmet go pro mount is bouncing.

The M2 was really great to drive as well even on the sub par Continental street tires that came on it. I would say the M2 is more precise, less dramatic and sadly less entertaining overall. If ,you like a tidy driving style on track you'd love the M2, the turn in is the best I've ever felt on a stock BMW M car, no push unless you really over cooked corner entry but overall just a bit too clinical with no oh sh*t moments. The torque coming out of corners was good as well but the car did not have the raw grip of the Focus RS in the tight hairpins. The seats do not hold you in that well compared to the Focus stock Recaros but I prefer the shifter and clutch in the M2. The M2 could definitely use an exhaust on the track, it's hard to hear the engine while heel toe downshifting. The RS pops and burbles and you can hear the engine more prominently stock.

For a daily driver I'd pick the M2 (unless you need the space) but for a track car the RS was honestly more fun (but not necessarily better). I did NOT expect that at all. Two very different cars that achieve similar things in different ways.

Here's some footage of both. Enjoy

Last edited by dlq04; 08-02-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:30 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Jason
Thanks for the font feedback. It is in fact a bit different than before, but we just made an adjustment that should further help with readability. Please let me know your thoughts!
Looks a bit better now but still too big for my liking, before it looked like 120% zoom and now it's on ~110%.
Edit: site is randomly really slow now as well, I keep getting Error 502 Bad gateway messages from Cloudflare.

Last edited by flanders; 08-03-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:32 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the continuing feedback, everyone.

For those of you who mentioned slow loading, are you noticing this across the site or only in specific threads? If it's in a particular thread or two, can you please pass along a link?
Just going to a page, I'm hit with popup ads, and the content in these ads causes my machine to freeze up for a few seconds. Also, the forum login popup seems to appear in the middle of a page. When I went to log in, it appeared in the middle of a thread that was rather long because of some large image posts. Took me a while of going back and forth with my machine stuttering because of the ads to just find the login popup.

Regarding the comments about the design reminding you of GeoCities, if you were to pinpoint specific elements, what would you say those are? The font size? The design of the buttons? We of course prefer the site not be reminiscent of 2002, so anything specific you can provide will be of great help.
For me, its the quick reply buttons at the bottom that stay persistent. Feels like old pages made circa 2000 using frames for navigation. Maybe this design looks better on mobile, but it does not look good on a desktop.

May I ask what you dislike about the Quick Reply box in its new form? If you weren't aware, you can still access the Quick Reply box at any time via the button at the bottom-right of any individual post or via the blue "Quick Reply" button on the left of the bottom bar. Both bring up the same box as before, but now it hovers over the page so you scroll around as you type without losing your place.
I like to read all the unread posts in a thread, then when I get to the end, there is the quick reply box waiting for me to add to the thread. Clicking a button to reply when the box was already there seems unnecessary. I have no issues scrolling to the bottom of the thread to reply, but again, maybe this is a feature that is better realized on mobile.

The related threads that appear with the infinite scroll seem to be very random. Not really related to what I'm looking at. I'm glad this is a feature that can be turned off, as some exuberant scrolling from the slow loading suddenly brought me into a different thread.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:19 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

I changed mine back to the old style. Why? The short answer is I hated everything about the new style.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

We made some tweaks to our menus, but if additional changes are needed, we're happy to do so. What device are you primarily using the menus from (a desktop computer, a tablet, etc.)?
PC, chrome
Old 08-03-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
The related threads that appear with the infinite scroll seem to be very random. Not really related to what I'm looking at. I'm glad this is a feature that can be turned off, as some exuberant scrolling from the slow loading suddenly brought me into a different thread.
Where do you turn this feature off? I've hated it since the infinite scroll appeared on the mobile interface, you keep running into some random section of the forum when you flick scroll on the phone to get to the end of thread.

Quick Reply: Introducing Infinite Scroll - Please Share Your Feedback!