Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Thread deletion/locking

Old 05-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This isn't specifically related to the thread but has general relevance.

In the course of administrating the site, including moderation, decisions are going to be made, actions taken and things done by the nearly 100 moderators who volunteer their time to make the community a good one. That's a fact of life and will not change. There are several thousand people who come to s2ki and post messages EVERY DAY, 24/7/365. That's something on the order of 7000 posts per day in almost 100 forums. There is more going on than your one thread of conversation.

You really need to understand this so when you make a query about a particular topic and a decision that was made it doesn't sound as if nothing is going on around you and your thread is the most significant thing going on around here.

In almost every case simply asking about something is all that is required to get an answer or explanation. Let me give you an example of a true story from just this morning:

At 9AM my phone rings and it's a member who is incensed about something or other. He starts out telling me that he's calling to let me know his lawyer is going to send me some documents and such related to a slander suit he's going to file yadda yadda.

Now what do you think my reaction to this is? Well I'll tell you. It's f*** off. Yes that's right. I'm not going to offer any help whatsoever. When my puppy screams bloody murder I turn my back and ignore him.

On the other hand if somebody calls me up and says "hey man I love your site but I have a problem I'm hoping you can help me with" then they get a totally different response. My reaction is "of course I'll help you in any way I can".

See the difference? Now you can take this as me scolding you and you may or you can take it as a little hint, a little nugget of info about how to motive me to work my ass of for you. I'm a real sucker for helping people who seem to need help and it makes me feel good to know I helped someone out. That's why I do it.

Here's another illustration:

you: "Hey my thread was removed and I don't know why. Can you have a look and let me know?"

me: "Sure I'll look at it right now."

you: "My thread was removed and I demand an explanation. I pay you and expect you to correct this right now!"

me: "Hmm, my car sure could use another coat of wax..."

You pay me and I appreciate it but if you treat me like garbage you'll wish you hadn't. It's not just me. Nobody I know is going to be motivated to do anything for anyone who asks by first demanding respect followed by insults and put-downs. Hell even my dog won't listen to me if the first thing I do is whack him over the head with a newspaper.

A little psych 101 for ya in case you skipped that class. In all honesty I couldn't give a rat's bottom about your thread, I probably didn't even know it existed in the first place. It's one of many hundreds of thousands, a drop in the bucket. I could care, I might even want to read it or spend the next 15 or 20 minutes of my life fixing it so it's not in the dumpster anymore, if properly motivated. You can start by posting a link to it so I know WTH you are talking about.

Now where's that wax gotten to...
Old 05-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,May 26 2005, 05:35 PM

In the course of administrating the site, including moderation, decisions are going to be made, actions taken and things done by the nearly 100 moderators who volunteer their time to make the community a good one. That's a fact of life and will not change. There are several thousand people who come to s2ki and post messages EVERY DAY, 24/7/365. That's something on the order of 7000 posts per day in almost 100 forums. There is more going on than your one thread of conversation.

You really need to understand this so when you make a query about a particular topic and a decision that was made it doesn't sound as if nothing is going on around you and your thread is the most significant thing going on around here.

In almost every case simply asking about something is all that is required to get an answer or explanation. Let me give you an example of a true story from just this morning:

At 9AM my phone rings and it's a member who is incensed about something or other. He starts out telling me that he's calling to let me know his lawyer is going to send me some documents and such related to a slander suit he's going to file yadda yadda.

Now what do you think my reaction to this is? Well I'll tell you. It's f*** off. Yes that's right. I'm not going to offer any help whatsoever. When my puppy screams bloody murder I turn my back and ignore him.

On the other hand if somebody calls me up and says "hey man I love your site but I have a problem I'm hoping you can help me with" then they get a totally different response. My reaction is "of course I'll help you in any way I can".

See the difference? Now you can take this as me scolding you and you may or you can take it as a little hint, a little nugget of info about how to motive me to work my ass of for you. I'm a real sucker for helping people who seem to need help and it makes me feel good to know I helped someone out. That's why I do it.

you: "Hey my thread was removed and I don't know why. Can you have a look and let me know?"

you: "My thread was removed and I demand an explanation. I pay you and expect you to correct this right now!"

You pay me and I appreciate it but if you treat me like garbage you'll wish you hadn't. It's not just me. Nobody I know is going to be motivated to do anything for anyone who asks by first demanding respect followed by insults and put-downs. Hell even my dog won't listen to me if the first thing I do is whack him over the head with a newspaper.

A little psych 101 for ya in case you skipped that class. In all honesty I couldn't give a rat's bottom about your thread, I probably didn't even know it existed in the first place. It's one of many hundreds of thousands, a drop in the bucket. I could care, I might even want to read it or spend the next 15 or 20 minutes of my life fixing it so it's not in the dumpster anymore, if properly motivated. You can start by posting a link to it so I know WTH you are talking about.

Wow!

Uh, interesting response.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and I love it

I'm going to start redirecting people to that post when they don't put a little sugar on their crap.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:02 PM

Erik,

I hope you've seen enough of my posts through the years to know I've (almost) always agreed with the decisions made here. My original post to this thread was made not out of anger, but of confusion. I'm of the same mindset as you when it comes to requests for help... make a nicely worded request and expect a nicely worded response in turn, but be rude/nasty about it and expect me to sit back and let you flounder. With that in mind, I apologize if my post didn't read in the same voice it was written in. The post was written the day before I was to shut off my net connection in prep for a move (I finally got my home net connection back about an hour ago), so I was a bit frantic about the missing info during the week I knew I wouldn't really have access to a computer.

Threads do tend to get deleted without warning/reason from time to time, so as my original post stated, I had hoped to get some sort of an answer about why this was done. If I break a rule while posting, I expect to be informed of such, but I would also expect an opportunity to learn from my mistake. I'm sure your dog would look at you kind of funny if every once in a while you whacked him on the head with a newspaper, but there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to it. In the hopes of continuing the tradition of making this one of the most user-friendly sites, I would think offering reasons for post deletions would be expected as a show of respect. Accidents happen, threads will get deleted and PMs will forget to be sent... but multiple times seemed egregious.

Anyway, I hope you can see that despite some of the more harsh words spoken by others in this thread, I'm merely trying to get my thread back and change things for the better.

The thread in questions is here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=64&t=138320
Old 05-27-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I know we have a gallery, CUZ I CREATED IT!! =(

I should be mod again!!
Old 05-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Former Moderator

Revin9K - I have absolutely no idea what you are so upset about
Old 05-29-2005, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not upset...im ok..i just bought some le37's
Old 06-01-2005, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,May 26 2005, 03:35 PM

Yeah interesting response.

I will take that with a grain of salt then.

Thanks. Although I dont agree with you on most of this its your site and I respect your answers, doesnt mean they are the right way to do business though.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What don't you agree with? You said you don't agree with most of it so I'm curious.

My post was not related to the specific issue at hand (it was answered by HG directly with the topic starter offline) but is general in nature. I posted it here because I happened to be here at the time and have been around long enough to know how the bandwagon effect works.

We have an email address we use to respond to direct and specific issues members (or anyone for that matter) have. If you want a specific answer to a specific question you need to send your question or issue by email to support@s2ki.com (or help@s2ki.com or info@s2ki.com). We can assist you with whatever issue you've got.

Posting in a public forum is not an effective way for us to track, respond to or receive such requests. This is a discussion forum which implies an open conversation that anyone who's got an opinion can become involved in. "Why was my post/topic deleted" is not a talking point. It's a specific question seeking a specific answer which we are more than happy to provide; by email.

Asking "Why was my post/topic deleted?" in this forum is an invitation for everyone to respond with whatever gripe they may have (past, present or future) about moderation decisions; a public calling out of moderators, admins and the site rules and policies and has nothing to do with responding to the issue at hand. There are specific tools made for specific jobs. Forums are for topics seeking input from the population at large. Email and PM are for one-to-one communications.

It is in effect making a scene in an effort to create enough of a stink that we will be forced by way of humiliation into reconsidering or at a minimum justifying publicly the decision that was made. It is a means of coercing a result, it's overkill, it's annoying and it's unnecessary. You don't need to create drama to get what you are looking for, you could just ask. I know what you are doing and I know why you are doing it and I'm saying, publicly and for the record, that's it's going to produce the opposite result. You'll go on my shit list for trying to make my life miserable and my motivation to assist will drop to zero.

Sure if we ignore you or blow you off or give you some BS answer go ahead and kick our asses by posting what assholes we are. I would appreciate it if you'd do that AFTER giving us the chance to resolve your issue first.

You say no, no that's not what I'm implying but but it is in fact what you are saying so I don't think it's unreasonable of me to interpret it that way. For example:

While this has happened in the past, a recent incident has finally prompted me to write about it. The "it" I'm talking about is the locking and/or deletion of a thread with no explanation, be it in the thread itself (in the case of it being locked), or by PM (in the case of thread deletion).
You say you are writing about it, not asking a question but rather telling a story. You aren't mentioning a specific topic but rather topic moderation in general which I read as "one of more moderators is not being fair" or "the rules are unfair or unreasonable". I'm not sure which so I read on.

I can understand if a post breaks a forum's rules, but to remove the offending thread with no feedback as to the reason not only fails to educate posters on what was inappropriate about the material, it's also (IMO) disrespectful.
I'm reading "I don't know the rules" or "I disagree with the rules" so I look to see who the poster is, MacGyver, Gold Member, s2ki age: 4 yrs, 231 days. Well I've read more than one thread from this member of the past 4 years and from past experience I know this is a public complaint right off. I also know he's a Gold Member and I appreciate that so I can't just blow it off, I need to read it. I also know he's been around for a long time so he knows the rules so I can disregard the "fails to educate" bit. In the end I have to conclude this means "deleting a topic or post that I wrote is disrespectful". COMPLAIN.

I have put a lot of time, energy, and a small amount of money into this site over the last 4+ years. In those years, I feel that sometimes there is a lack of proper respect in how certain operations are carried out, with leaving posters uninformed about thread deletion/locking reason being at the top of my list.
I read "I'm important. How dare you touch my post!". POSTURE.

A thread of mine, which has been ongoing for 2 years now, was recently deleted. No reason was provided, nor was I informed of the deletion itself... I noticed it simply because the link now appeared in the Dumpster, rather than S2000 Talk. What site rules were broken in the thread? If it was someone other than me, can they offending post be removed and the thread reinstated? If it was the post itself that warranted deletion, why was it allowed to remain for 2 years being brought to the top every couple of months, only to be deleted NOW after so much useful information has been poured into it by countless members?
The actual question. This part, taken on it's own (save the lack of any specific information about the thread like a link or even the title) is fairly reasonable and warrants a response. ASK QUESTION.

In the final tally I'm reading COMPLAIN, POSTURE, ASK QUESTION. I point this out because in my original reply and in this one what I'm saying is the best way to get a quick and happy result is to say: ASK QUESTION. The COMPLAIN and POSTURE bits only serve to work against you. If you want really good results and maybe even say: COMPLIMENT, ASK QUESTION. I hesitate in mentioning that because it sounds like I'm looking for strokes but that's not true.

When you do decide to ASK QUESTION here are some tips:

1. Make it easy for me. Be specific about what you are looking for. Specific answers to specific questions are quick and easy to provide and are likely going to be handled first. I'll do the easy ones and save the messy ones for later. How long that is depends on how many other things I have to do.

2. If your question is related to something specific, like a topic, post or PM then make it easy for me to find. Provide me with a link so all I need to do to research the answer is click and read. If you don't have one then try to be as specific as possible what, where, when. This leads to #1 above.

3. Use the right tool. Don't post specific questions here. Use the support email address ( you can click the link at the top of the topic list in this forum). Using the email address will ensure we see the question in a timely fashion and allow us to track it through to completion. It saves the lengthy public discussion and the distraction of having to read a $1.50 worth of opinions. Again, leads to #1.

There you have it. You CAN have quick and satisfactory answers to your concerns and I can really love providing them. We can all be happy but it's needs to start on the right footing.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you really want me to get into it? To make a long story short:

I put people on my shitlist every day. Thats life. Take it or leave it.

Second, I am not here to kiss ass.

I am here to help other s2k owners make the correct and right decisions when purchasing products for their car. As well as hooking them up with deals. Something THEY WANT.
I am also here to help s2k owners with installations on bumpers, intakes, suspension or whatever. I like to do this.
I am also here to make a few new friends.

These are all plus's in my book. If you dont see that than thats on you and your site.

You have to remember what you were brought up thinking is right is not always the right decision to make. You not answering any of my PMs in your book may be the way you were taught to deal with things may and is totally different from the next guy. You have a big range of age and some people may bad mouth to get their point across. Others kiss ass. You have to take into consideration the age differences and people's opinion. Plain and simple.

I dont like one of your staff. So what. Lets get past this please. I just wanted a simple explanation of why the thread was moved. How hard is that? Its not that hard. My buddy runs a site almost as large as this one and he told me its simple to check. It may take him a week to get back to me but at least he is making an effort unlike some of you guys that don't bother. I used profanity because thats the only way to get through to some people. The nice kiss ass way does not fly for me.
I've also noticed a lot of members dont speak up and others are afraid to post on your threads if they have a different opinion or view. I on the other hand will speak my mind. If I am wrong I admit it and if I am right I admit it as well.
I think common curtesy via a PM with an explanation would have been better in this case and every case similiar from other members IMO. Thats just me though.

Anyway I am through. Do you see what I am saying? You really cannot argue some of these points if I was brought/taught up one way and you were another.