Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Thread deletion/locking

Old 06-01-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

geez...how long did that take you cthree?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You say no, no that's not what I'm implying but but it is in fact what you are saying so I don't think it's unreasonable of me to interpret it that way.
As I said, that wasn't my intention in writing it. I have no control over how you interpret it, but I gad hoped you would read it differently once I explained my state of mind... I guess not. <shrug>

I'm reading "I don't know the rules" or "I disagree with the rules" so I look to see who the poster is, MacGyver, Gold Member, s2ki age: 4 yrs, 231 days. Well I've read more than one thread from this member of the past 4 years and from past experience I know this is a public complaint right off. I also know he's a Gold Member and I appreciate that so I can't just blow it off, I need to read it. I also know he's been around for a long time so he knows the rules so I can disregard the "fails to educate" bit. In the end I have to conclude this means "deleting a topic or post that I wrote is disrespectful". COMPLAIN.
The rules have changed on this board so many times in the 4+ years I've been on it, it's difficult to keep up. The only time I know I've broken a newly changed rule is when I break one and a thread is moved/deleted. Does moving/deleting a thread with no reason offered seem like a fair way to educate your members? Maybe it's just my humble opinion, but this seems like a really bad way to handle it. You can't expect us to read the rules every day looking for changes any more than we could expect you to advertise those changes every time their made... with that being the case, there has to be some give and take. I think we're willing to accept the changes if you're willing to ease us into them by telling us what we've done wrong? Am I really being unreasonable asking such?

I read "I'm important. How dare you touch my post!". POSTURE.
Again, what else can I say? If you choose to add such maliciousness to my post, even if it wasn't there, that's your prerogative. However, regardless of how you interpret some deeper meaning, the post was still asking a very basic question... if you do touch a post, isn't it reasonable to expect an explanation, if for no other reason than common decency and respect?

This wasn't posted as a malicious attack, it wasn't posturing... it was an honest question written out of frustration. Is it really necessary to assign such strong emotions to a post written in earnest?

I know this question has been asked before by others, and an answer was never posted in the open forums (I myself having asked it in a different thread of a different topic). Yes, I've received an answer by PM. BUT, although I have my answer, no one else has been educated as to the potential reasons why a thread may be moved/deleted.... and that goes back to my original point of how can we learn as a whole if we're not informed of the reasons? No one else has learned from my mistake (which, by the way, I still don't understand the specific mistake I made, only that the post would eventually be edited and put back into the forums).

I'm sure this will knock me down a few more notches in your view of me, but I have to say... I just don't get the warm and fuzzies with how the situation was originally handled, nor how my post about it was answered. I could explain what I meant to say and didn't quite get it into perfect prose until I was blue in the face, but it doesn't seem like that will placate you. Kind of tough to raise my hands in support when the moment we step even the slightest bit out of a perfect line we're treated like common criminals. We're only human...

I'll refrain from making comments like this in the future...
Old 06-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Js, I have no idea what you are talking about, it's like I'm reading the 100th reply of a 200 post topic. Why would you be informed? The topic was about some accessory MacGyver was making and selling (specifically an glow in the dark windscreen or something). I'm assuming your talking about something else. I have 15000 PMs in my inbox. I don't have time to answer all of them though I do read them all. I respond to the ones that I think require a response and I guess I determined yours didn't or was too complex to deal with then and there. Like I said above if you give me a link to something specific and keep it short and sweet I can usually cope. PMs which are too much trouble to answer I just don't have the time to respond to.

I have only an hour or two in which to answer all of the correspondence I get each day. That includes emails, PMs and posts. When I read the message I have to prioritize it. If I think I can answer the message in a couple of minutes then I'll do it right then. If it will take longer than that I'll skip past it and try to come back to it. When my time runs out then that's it. The next day it starts over again. Yes that means there are PMs I should have responded to that I never did but that's due to the complexity.

When you send an email to support@s2ki.com it goes into a system that both HG and myself share. That means there are at least two of us manning the pumps. The likelihood of a reply goes way up. I can also add additional people to that system should it get backed up. If you send me a PM then you are depending on me personally replying to it and that I cannot always do. It's not personal.

Like I said above, the simpler it is for me to do the more likely a speedy (or any) response. It's just the way it is.

MacGyver, I used your post as an example of a typical case. It's not special or unique in anyway. I replied to this topic, as I said earlier, to help you get the most out of me. Since there is only so much of me to go around I'm offered you and everyone some useful insight into how to maximize the results you get out of me. Keep it direct, simple and to the point and don't start by posting something I'd really rather not read. I offer you MY read of what you said. If this is insightful for you great, if not then feel free to ignore it.

If I didn't care what you had to say I wouldn't be responding.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Jun 1 2005, 08:00 PM
If I didn't care what you had to say I wouldn't be responding.
That's the real lesson here
Old 06-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I regard to this specific issue it is true the moderator who removed the thread did not send a notice. It happens. Moderators are instructed to do so but 99% of the moderation is done by volunteers on their own time and 99% of the time they do the right thing. That's 1 of a hundred times something isn't done right. Not a big percentage but big enough to notice when scaled up.

To ease the effort involved in moderating and therefore the likelihood of consistency I have built some tools to help the moderators including a tool to help them remove material that shouldn't be there including sending a notice with minimal effort. This is part of the retooling I've been working on for the past 6 weeks or so. You will see this improve but it still won't be perfect.

When something doesn't go as it should don't get pissed, just let us know and we'll try to resolve it.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Jun 1 2005, 08:44 PM
I regard to this specific issue it is true the moderator who removed the thread did not send a notice. It happens. Moderators are instructed to do so but 99% of the moderation is done by volunteers on their own time and 99% of the time they do the right thing. That's 1 of a hundred times something isn't done right. Not a big percentage but big enough to notice when scaled up.

To ease the effort involved in moderating and therefore the likelihood of consistency I have built some tools to help the moderators including a tool to help them remove material that shouldn't be there including sending a notice with minimal effort. This is part of the retooling I've been working on for the past 6 weeks or so. You will see this improve but it still won't be perfect.

When something doesn't go as it should don't get pissed, just let us know and we'll try to resolve it.
Thank you. I understand I threw you a PM with no topic or anything just really a complaint. Sorry about that. I will send it too your link from now on that you supplied us.

Thanks for getting back to us. I understand you have other things going on in your life and not just the site. Sometimes we dont see that.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

OK, I have been following this, and I have read every word above.

CThree, part of the confusion may be about the e-mail for support. I took a quick look around and the only place I find that tells people to e-mail you is floating above the forum, on the post listing page of "Site Info" Until I read your post above I assumed that posting those questions, comments, complaints or issues SHOULD be posted here. You mentioned that only two moderators see the e-mail box, but persumably ALL the moderators would be able to see a thread here.

Now that I have seen the above, I will e-mail first, but I suspect the majority of people would make the same assumtion as me. I am not sure how, but some clarification might go a LONG way in preventng this type of "open" discussion of a more private issue.

I may be reading more into it, or perhaps I just misinterpreted your post above, did you say that more complex issues brought up via PM will be ignored simply because they are complex? Wouldn't the more complex issues typically be something for you as the owner of the site? Again, I may have mis-interpreted this so please clarify if I have misunderstood.

I don't believe I have ever had one of my threads locked, but it's not inconcievable that one might be at some point so I appreciate that notification would come along with it. I am glad you guys are working on that.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Its clear....

If there is something specific to you or your account, email support@s2ki.com

If it is a general issue with the site, use site info - it is usually posted about when you check.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I am just trying to offer a point of view from the outside.

Do you really think I was the only one who never saw the notice to e-mail support@s2ki.com ?

It may be clear, but I don't believe the general population is aware of it.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

That's cool.

If it needs support@s2ki.com and is posted in site info one of the mods or admins will usually say email it anyways