South Florida Owners from South Florida

aem intake + rain channel = paranoia

Old 08-28-2003, 06:54 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My daily driver is in the shop for a blown tranny... so I was forced to drive my S to work today and its been pouring non-stop since 7AM, a tropical depression is passing through. I am EXTREMELY worried because I have the AEM Intake, with no bypass valve. A friend of mine (Alex) told me that the rain channel is directly above the filter and pours water right onto it. Is this true???? Has anyone had problems with your AEM Intake from starting it up after its rained for 10 hours straight???? I'm considering not even turning on my car and towing it back to my house when I leave work at 6 tonight.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mav
My daily driver is in the shop for a blown tranny... so I was forced to drive my S to work today and its been pouring non-stop since 7AM, a tropical depression is passing through. I am EXTREMELY worried because I have the AEM Intake, with no bypass valve. A friend of mine (Alex) told me that the rain channel is directly above the filter and pours water right onto it. Is this true???? Has anyone had problems with your AEM Intake from starting it up after its rained for 10 hours straight???? I'm considering not even turning on my car and towing it back to my house when I leave work at 6 tonight.
Well if it rains like they expect (I wish I'd known....I'd have driven the beater), you might be able to just swim home.

God I hate rain

- Ganthet
Old 08-28-2003, 06:59 AM
mav

Chris, can you PLEASE ask one of the techs at Braman if what Alex said is true? I need to know 911!
Old 08-28-2003, 07:02 AM

There was a long thread (sorry, don't have the link) that said that there is a path the water travels over the hood and into the front engine compartment that does drain the water directly to where your filter sits.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tommy, Just don't drive threw big puddles that is it. My Injen intake has been on since I first took delivery of my car, and thank god not has happen to my car! Remember, it rains here a lot and my car is the only car I own.

Chris C.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:13 AM
mav

I know Chris, but my car is sitting outside right now in the rain! I don't want to turn it on, hydrolock the engine and have to pay Braman $8K for a new one. Remember I don't have a bypass valve.

Could you PLEASE do me the favor of asking one of the techs there that knows the car if the rain channel flows water directly onto the AEM Filter?
Old 08-28-2003, 08:15 AM

Yes, it does, but no, it's not a problem. All you have to do is look at the BS marketing campaign 4IG was starting. People have used these intakes for a couple of years now without issue. Suddenly 4IG starts some scare tactic campaign about how the engine is going to blow if you don't buy his bypass valve product...well wouldn't you know it, people start complaining about how their engine just locked up. I bitched up a storm, told him to knocj it off, he eventually stopped posting about it, and look at it now. How many threads have you seen in the last several months about engines locking? None!

You haven't seen any because it's not an issue. I've had my car outsaide for two weeks now in the heavy rains we've been going through. I jump in and run it after the rains and DURING the heavy rains without issue. I've been doing so for nearly two years now, and I haven't locked my engine yet. It's a non-issue.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]Yes, it does, but no, it's not a problem.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:09 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rateds2k
[B]

I agree with Dan.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fyrestrike
[B]

I don't think so, the bottom horizontal tube of the AEM has a downward slope which collects water.

Quick Reply: aem intake + rain channel = paranoia