South Florida Owners from South Florida

Bay Bottom Crawl in the Keys

Old 08-25-2004, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bay Bottom Crawl in the Keys

Just got my confirmation back for the Bay Bottom Crawl in the Keys Oct. 8, 9, 10.

I was wondering if there was any interest among the SoFLA AutoX crew in going this year. This race is touted as FL's fastest autocross. There are several fast sections where you are well into 4th gear, and we were crossing the finish line last year at around 105 mph!! Trust me, it's a blast!!!

Registration is limited to 90, and there are alot of people that show up every year, which means many have already registered.

There is no on-line registration. The form must be mailed in with your check.

Here's a couple links for more info:
Registration (Ecurie Vitesse Sports Car Club)
Summary & Video from Bay Bottom Crawl
Old 08-25-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I'm really looking forward to my first experience down there.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:18 PM

I've run this course for 3 years now....I am going to warn anybody that is not an avid autocrosser or a great drive DO NOT race this course. There are no run offs and there are several spots that will put you in the ocean..If you spin out more than likely your car will hit the mangroves...just trying to warn you guys..this is the longest and fastest autox in FL. Other than that..it is a awsome autocross!!
Old 08-25-2004, 02:48 PM

$105 for an autocross... hmm
Old 08-25-2004, 03:20 PM

i just watched the video...looks awesome!!!!!!!!

its a 2.2 mile run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2004, 03:49 PM

Seems to be more risk than anything else. Dosent look like fun at all, one small mistake and you flatbed your car home maybe even with a salty interior. Must take them forever to do multiple runs, didn't see any workers along the road to setup the cones. Absolutely no spectating.

Armando
Old 08-25-2004, 05:54 PM

Cool

Guys: as someone that has done it. It is a great event. Take water, and something to hide from the sun. It is a long day, but it is like nothing else. It is definetely not for the weak at heart or someone learning the car, but if you are looking for a fast, tight and exhilirating autox this is the one.

Old 08-26-2004, 04:26 AM

Sorry this is so long, but I tried to respond to everyone's comments;

...I am going to warn anybody that is not an avid autocrosser or a great drive DO NOT race this course.
Yes, you are absolutely right, the road is a tight two laner with mangroves and/ or water on both sides. There is no runoff, and you reach VERY high speeds for an 'autocross'. I didn't want to scare anybody out of doing this event because it is so much fun. I have already described the event, and it's hazards to the SOFLA S2K drivers that I know. I have also warned that this should be done for fun, and not necessarily for competition. That alone should keep you out of the bushes.

Then again, I've seen worse damage at normal autcrosses. This sport is safe, but there is always something that COULD happen. Just look at my sig. I rolled my ITR at an autocross!! Just goes to show that it can happen to any of us.

[QUOTE]$105 for an autocross...
Old 08-26-2004, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by PENROD,Aug 26 2004, 07:26 AM
No offense Armando, but it's not for everyone. If you don't feel safe doing the event, you don't have to race. Since you're so close though, you might as well come down and check it out. Maybe you'll feel more comfortable doing it next year (Although, I have seen rentacar's do the event as well). I went to test it out last year, and won my class on both days. I was extremely pleased with the quality of the event, and the minimal delays. Yes, there are delays, and that is to be expected with a few miles of comm. cable stretched across a such a large course. Not as much as the ER events, but all events experience delays. That is nothing new. One of the pluses is that you don't have to work. They have volunteers working each station. One of the minuses is that there is not much room for spectating. We do our spectating under the tent when we are sharing our videos and stories of our runs.

Dino04:
thank you for the positive feedback.
I am not a big AutoX fan, I was just giving my opinion on what looks to be a very fast course with little to no room for error. If going fast is what you are looking for there are other safer options. I understand the competition is a factor and the high risk makes it attractive to some but not to me. For those that are going enjoy it and stay safe and dry.

Armando
Old 08-26-2004, 03:02 PM

Hey Penrod,

Where do you guys normally stay for this event?

It might be a good weekend to do a group drive to the keys. Nice opportunity for a South Florida Supermeet of sorts.

Deiger

Quick Reply: Bay Bottom Crawl in the Keys