South Florida Owners from South Florida

HD Radio and Head Unit reccomendations

Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Radio and Head Unit reccomendations

I've been looking at DVD head units for the JDM bezel and I'm trying to figure out which one I will be happiest with.

One of the features that sounds interesting to me is HD radio; but it seems that the head units that come with HD radio creep up in to the 1000+ range. it seems that the 1000+ price tag is common because the HD radio units come with Navigation that I don't need.

Does anyone have HD radio in their cars? Is it even worth getting? if the only difference is power 96 "HD" then it hardly seems worth the extra money for an HD tuner. I'm all about good sound quality, as I have had sirius and XM radio in the past (before they merged), but the huge jump in price has put me off a bit.

I would also like to hear your thoughts on head units you have purchased and what you did/didn't like about them; remember I am going Double-Din so try to keep focused on in-car DVD players.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 AM

My Main concern for my head unit was: Navi,Rear AV,Rear USB,HD Radio,Bluetooth,Pandora ready. I have played around with the touchscreen features and it is very responsive. I really enjoy the pandora app as you can control the whole iphone straight from reciever. the maps are really up to date and it has many color options for the onscreen/button display. you may even retain the dash controls for volume! As an added bonus it has a microsd slot for uploading of songs icture etc. If that wasnt enough you could plug in your iphone and watch youtube video's or even watch your favorite movie from netflix (great for your bored passanger on those long treks to shows). It even provides audio streams of information like status updates and Tweets, so you can catch social media updates from Facebook and Twitter while you drive, without having to check out your iPhone's screen.

I placed my order through devins aunt who works at best buy and i got a hell of a deal. now i just need my bezel and to grow a pair to cut the dash up!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 AM

There are a couple of things to consider.

1. the Navi bezel will work, however the depth of a head unit is way deeper than the navi unit. I purchased the navi bezel and the factory cage, and it's only 2 inches deep.
2. the passenger A/C vent will have to be cut to fit the radio in. My plan when I ahve time is to get another dash in bad condition (cheap cheap) and fabricate a fiberglass vent that will connect the passenger side back to the A/C.

for a radio, I'm considering a kenwood, they are using parrot(they oem for most auto manufactures) for the blue tooth, and garmin nave system. as long as I can get it to work with my iphone and give me control and pandora from the controls on the radio, I'll be happy.

I haven't yet looked into a radio model because im months away form having time to make the vent

hope that info helps
Old 08-19-2011, 01:00 PM

Nice looking unit Ron (no homo), I'll have to look it up and see how well it fits; our requirements seem pretty similar.

The idea that the Duct has to be cut or removed or modified makes me grumpy. That is definitely something I don't want to do, and i certainly don't want to lose the AC for the passenger.

Shitty. I guess I could do without the duct for a while while I devise a new setup.. lame. super lame.