Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Alfa Romeo 4C and Fiata Visit Today...

Old 09-22-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts
Default Alfa Romeo 4C and Fiata Visit Today...

I was working out of town today and had some time to kill in between appointments. I drove by a Fiat/ Alfa Romeo dealer by accident while looking for a bite to eat, and I had to pull a U-turn to check out four Alpha 4C Spyders they had on the lot. The 4C's look fantastic up close in person , they seemed a bit over-priced at 89-95 k, if they were closer to their MRSP of 66k they might be a better deal. I thought they were stunning though. The dealer in my hometown doesn't have as much of a selection as this dealer had.

They also had a handful of Fiatas on the lot, I think they look nicer than the Miata, and the interior looks great. Not a bad car for the money, though they are priced higher than the Miata for just some minor changes. Not sure about the mechanicals but the outward design is nice on the Fiata.

It was a boring day so this was the highlight for me. lol.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand the excitement. I love snooping around new cars. My dream job would be one where I am always around different cars, new or old. Maybe like reviewing cars? Not sure I have the talents for being an entertainer or journalist, but then, a lot of the guys doing it right now don't either!

I also think the 2017 Fiat 124 spider looks better than the Miata. You know it's going to drive just as well since it is based of the Miata, but with different suspension and a turbo 1.4L. An Italian badge that is made in Japan. Interesting!

Glad you had fun Joey.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Himura357
I understand the excitement. I love snooping around new cars. My dream job would be one where I am always around different cars, new or old. Maybe like reviewing cars? Not sure I have the talents for being an entertainer or journalist, but then, a lot of the guys doing it right now don't either!

I also think the 2017 Fiat 124 spider looks better than the Miata. You know it's going to drive just as well since it is based of the Miata, but with different suspension and a turbo 1.4L. An Italian badge that is made in Japan. Interesting!

Glad you had fun Joey.
Yeah I could get used to testing cars too, lol. I wish I could go for a ride in an Alpha 4C. Speaking of badges I always loved the look of the Alpha Romeo badge, even the Fiat badge is kind of cool.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A fellow autocrosser was actually crazy enough to swap his ride (4C) with my S2k.

Managed to drive it for the full day but I was pretty crappy in it.

The car out of the dealership understeers quite heavily and the turbo is not very linear but god the SOUNDS. You get to hear EVERYTHING inside the car. The whoosh of the turbo kicking in, the flutter as you let off, the groan of the engine... it is absolutely gorgeous.

The steering surprisingly was a manual unit and hit me in the face like a ton of bricks. I had a manual steering rack on my old MR2 but I had clearly forgotten how much effort is required at a standstill. Parking this thing took some getting used to (it has rear radar/camera thingy) given the rear view is next to non-existent. I think only the Exige is worse. However, once you got above 5km/hr, it lightens up and boy it is PERFECT.

One thing I really found annoying though was the paddle shifter. I have never driven a DSG equipped car up until this one and found that between the camps of "on the wheel" vs "on the stalk", I am definitely a "on the stalk" kinda guy. Especially in autocross where my hands could potentially be flying all over the place, it was hard at times to find the upshift and sometimes when I did, I accidentally hit it twice! On the track, I can see this problem mostly go away.

The roof is also fairly low and I barely fit in it with my helmet on and visor up. Had to be uber careful not to scratch the liner.

$85k for this car is a little much. I consider it the next Lotus Exige so maybe that's where they're getting their pricing standpoint.

Great car though. Would lust after one for sure.

Here's video of the day - pardon the crappy angle:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMJm2aLvcdo[/media]
Old 09-23-2016, 05:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've seen a few of the 4c's at the track... and honestly I don't think they're worth the money.... especially when I'm passing them
Old 09-23-2016, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry but I just can't see what you guys do in their cars. I have never been a fan of their style and design when compared to cars that are in the same price category.

Comparing the 124 against the Miata, i hate the Alpha lights, they are massive for being on such a small car. and that silver windshield frame throws the car off completely.

Comparing the Alpha 4C against a Lotus Exige is also a hands down win to the Lotus IMO...even with the funky Lotus mirrors.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by LemonJus
A fellow autocrosser was actually crazy enough to swap his ride (4C) with my S2k.

Managed to drive it for the full day but I was pretty crappy in it.

The car out of the dealership understeers quite heavily and the turbo is not very linear but god the SOUNDS. You get to hear EVERYTHING inside the car. The whoosh of the turbo kicking in, the flutter as you let off, the groan of the engine... it is absolutely gorgeous.

The steering surprisingly was a manual unit and hit me in the face like a ton of bricks. I had a manual steering rack on my old MR2 but I had clearly forgotten how much effort is required at a standstill. Parking this thing took some getting used to (it has rear radar/camera thingy) given the rear view is next to non-existent. I think only the Exige is worse. However, once you got above 5km/hr, it lightens up and boy it is PERFECT.

One thing I really found annoying though was the paddle shifter. I have never driven a DSG equipped car up until this one and found that between the camps of "on the wheel" vs "on the stalk", I am definitely a "on the stalk" kinda guy. Especially in autocross where my hands could potentially be flying all over the place, it was hard at times to find the upshift and sometimes when I did, I accidentally hit it twice! On the track, I can see this problem mostly go away.

The roof is also fairly low and I barely fit in it with my helmet on and visor up. Had to be uber careful not to scratch the liner.

$85k for this car is a little much. I consider it the next Lotus Exige so maybe that's where they're getting their pricing standpoint.

Great car though. Would lust after one for sure.

Here's video of the day - pardon the crappy angle:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMJm2aLvcdo[/media]

wow, great review, and nice way to get to drive one, that was very cool of them to swap rides with you. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:06 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Got some stick time in the new 124 as well as the MX-5. Like most of the reviews the 124 is a bit less aggressive but still holds it's own and has more torque. The std equipment varies quite a bit and if you want a limited slip and strut bar you need to step up to the Abarth . On the MX-5 those features are available on the mid and upper trim levels. It also comes with a Nav system that is not in the 124 unless you add a 4400 dollar package. Which would I buy ??? Probably the 124 since I have no intention of getting rid of the S and the Fiat dealer is pretty aggressive with his trade in numbers for the 2013 500 Abarth we own now .
Old 09-24-2016, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by MAGGIEMAE
Got some stick time in the new 124 as well as the MX-5. Like most of the reviews the 124 is a bit less aggressive but still holds it's own and has more torque. The std equipment varies quite a bit and if you want a limited slip and strut bar you need to step up to the Abarth . On the MX-5 those features are available on the mid and upper trim levels. It also comes with a Nav system that is not in the 124 unless you add a 4400 dollar package. Which would I buy ??? Probably the 124 since I have no intention of getting rid of the S and the Fiat dealer is pretty aggressive with his trade in numbers for the 2013 500 Abarth we own now .
Nice review I kind of figured the cost difference on the 124 vs Miata was significant, but I like certain features of the 124 cost considerations aside.

The 4C still looks like a great package, but it seems over-priced for a turbo 4 cylinder. Maybe for a $50-60kk car it'd be more reasonable.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Fix It Again Tony!

Quick Reply: Alfa Romeo 4C and Fiata Visit Today...